“Needs updating” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Hotel

You added Americana Hotel to your Saves list
Americana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 Gloucester Place | Regents Park, London NW2 6DS, England   |
Ranked #684 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Needs updating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

A very tired hotel with tiny rooms. They only serve a cold continental style breakfast so don't expect a good old full English, just cereals & toast etc.
All staff were pleasant enough but I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was relieved to find a hotel in this location on short notice, still paying London rates but not as audaciously as other brand names in the area. The rating and (most) reviews gave cause for optimism.

Upon checking in I had to carry my bags up a flight of stairs as the elevator stops at the 3rd floor. Fine, it's London - small rooms etc are the norm although this felt almost Parisian with the do-it-yourself double sliding doors to fit into the tiny elevator.

Unfortunately my room was not even close to acceptable. I would have been better off in a hostel to be quite honest, and Ive stayed in many a lot more presentable than this. My room was absolutely freezing - I kept my coat and scarf on for around 30 minutes, while I checked that the windows were closed and the heating was on max. It was. I got so cold in the room, combined with the completely shabby look (see pictures) that I decided to pay for another hotel on the same night. Ive never done this before but I knew I would never sleep properly in a room like this. Possibly the most negative experience Ive had in a hotel to date (and I travel a lot).

The owner offered me another room but having already seen a glimpse of another I politely declined as I'd had enough, and walked to the tube to travel further out to another hotel. Expensive night but at least I slept ok in the end. Having done quite a bit of research I have to say the price didn't reflect the quality at all; if it had appeared as a very low-budget option I would have been less surprised. However it is listed as a 3-star option on various booking websites.

I have no idea if the other floors are in better condition; the lobby was basic but seemed absolutely fine, so perhaps you can be luckier than I was.

Overall I'm sorry to write such a negative review about someone's business, but clearly the owner needs to ensure the entire hotel is kept at some form of minimum standard. I've never written a review like this before, as I normally wonder about reviews I see with such low ratings. I think in this case its entirely justified. Hope they get their act together in the near future.

Room Tip: Cannot understand the positive reviews, so presumably do not accept a room on the 4th floor, not lea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel was excellent value given the price and location. It is staffed 24 hours per day with very helpful and friendly staff. We would definitely stay there again and recommend to others. Close to main line and tube stations and walking distance to various attractions. On edge of Regents Park.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Booked this hotel at special Gala Hotels rate of under 50 pounds/nite. Great value for that rate. Friendly 24-hour reception' free wi-fi at lounge; good spread of breakfast. Queen bed room I got was cramped (not sure of configuration of others) with only enough space to walk around the bed. Bathroom and toilets were also minimal size but they were clean so can't complain for that price. Stay was during 2nd week of January 2013.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed 2 nights .It was very nice they have a beautiful breakfast .Which is very impotant for us .Sleeping at your hotel is wonderful and the entire staff are very nice and good kindly Bus station for your return is 2min walking down the street Glochester place. 3 min walk to Baker street metro station and Main bus stop of Hop-on Hop-off tours. Close to many pubs. Hotel is not 3 star - rooms are extremely small with old furniture. Good cleanliness. Nice breakfast. There are free coffee and tea at any time whish is really good. My global opinion

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Burgas, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. First of all hotel has perfect location. Only 3-4 min walk from Baker street station - perfect if you arrive from luton with bus tansfer. Bus station for your return is 2min walking down the street Glochester place. 3 min walk to Baker street metro station and Main bus stop of Hop-on Hop-off tours. Close to many pubs. Hotel is not 3 star - rooms are extremely small with old furniture. Good cleanliness. Nice breakfast. There are free coffee and tea at any time whish is really good. My global opinion: Not 3-star, but this hotel is very good value for money - we paid 90eur per night for dbl room with breakfast and we get very special offer - free 3th night, so we paid 180eur for total 3nights - you can't find similar price for central located hotel. Good for short stay and once again rooms are really extremely small!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I felt something was wrong when the taxi driver had never heard of this hotel before. I chose this hotel for my recent stay in London as it seemed a decent place...what a mistake! The hotel is shabby and dirty, the carpeting has stains everywhere, and the room I had was so small I could hardly get dressed, although I was told it was one ofe the larger rooms! The only bright spot is breakfast, which is included with the room, and has a choice of cereals, soft boiled eggs, cheese, ham, yogurt, fruit, coffee and juice. I will definitely avoid this hotel in my next stay in the City.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!