“Great location, nice room, good hotel for central London” 4 of 5 stars

Blandford Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Chiltern Street, London W1U 5AF, England   |
Ranked #371 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Brentwood, MD
“Great location, nice room, good hotel for central London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel is in a fantastic location, steps from the Baker Street tube (where five different lines stop) and around the corner from Marylebone High Street. Our room (#7) was pleasant (and very well sound-proofed--we were on the ground floor and were never bothered by street noise), and the staff was nice. The amount of storage is geared toward two-day visits. For a central London hotel room, it's decently priced. Notes:

-The WiFi was unreliable, especially in our room, and required a lot of repeated logging in. Passwords change daily.

-The bathroom: The door was a sliding door in front of the doorway, which didn't give a lot of privacy in the bathroom. (From some angles, you could see in and out, and it definitely didn't block sound.) The shower head had non-great water pressure, and was installed next to the ceiling. Nice if you like the feeling of standing in the rain; not so useful if you want to rinse your hair. (I washed my hair in the sink throughout the trip.) The bathroom does not have a fan, and it's the only hotel I've ever been to that does not provide tissues. There is, however, a toilet brush. It's hard to imagine why: were we supposed to clean the toilet?

-There is a built-in ironing board and iron. The iron does not steam, but worked fine. The board is weirdly installed about four feet off the ground.

-The key (there's just one per room) is attached to a card. The lights and a/c in the room only work if this card is put into a card reader. If my boyfriend wanted to go to the lobby for the slightly better wifi, and I wanted to stay in the room and still have light, we could separate the card from the key, but the card always broke in the process. This all seems unnecessary.

So, this is not a perfect hotel, but still a nice one--and a perfect hotel in central London is so extremely expensive that I think nice is the right thing to aim for.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
CapricornHotels, Manager at Blandford Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear LorininDC,

Thank you very much for staying at the Blandford and your positive feedback about our hotel staff and location!
Your feedback is very important for us and our staff and maintenance team will definitely review all reported points to see if we have chance to improve our room facilities and make your next stay even more comfortable. I am really glad to hear that you had a peaceful stay in our Hotel - located so close to the Central attractions but in the same time location on the quiet Chiltern Street, gives you an opportunity to enjoy the good night sleep. Our hotel is trying to go in line with latest greening suggestions therefore electricity and electronic devices can be switched on only if the guest is present in the room and has inserted the plastic card which gives you unlimited access to use room facilities. I am really sorry to hear that it was not convenient for you when you had to stay in the room while your parter went downstairs. Please let me inform you that our friendly staff is always happy to assist you with all the enquires and if you require a new code for WIFI you can even get it over the phone from our 24 hours staffed reception.
Please do not hesitate to call hotel directly on +44 020 7486 3103 to inform about your requirements for your next stay and get a special package for our returning guests!
We are looking forward to see you soon again!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
Sigtuna, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stayed in the Blandford hotel for a weekend and booked myself into a single room.
I could best describe the room as small and compact but the stay was overall pleasant.

The Hotel:
Location here is great. Very close to Baker Street tube station. Walking distance to Oxford Street and all the shopping and not far to Paddington Station (for Heathrow), Kings Cross/St. Pancras Stations (for Eurostar). The street on which the hotel is located is quiet.
Breakfast was included in the rate but it's not something to log in your memoirs. Basic and simple. It might be better to venture out to one of the 1000 nearby cafes fora more memorable experience.
It says the hotel was newly renovated. That may be true but certainly didn't apply to the floor on which I was staying. The rooms and all the areas I visited were clean and tidy but the surfaces, walls and furniture feel old dated. If the hotel was recently renovated, it certainly didn't feel like that to me.

The Single Room:
The single I had consisted of a single bed, a small desk with a small "wardrobe-like" area where you could hang your clothes. The view of the room was towards the rear with a great view of the fire escape.
The bathroom is compact with a shower, toilet and a small wash-hand basin. Due to the size of the bathroom, there is no shelf space to leave your toiletries.
The walls are thin and you can hear conversations from neighbouring rooms. Because all the doors are fire doors, they shut automatically but doesn't do so quietly. Always with a bang which can be quite annoying when you're trying to sleep.

Overall Impression:
The hotel is OK. All London hotels that I've stayed in are overpriced, it's the problem all tourist destinations suffer. Having said that, with London prices in mind the Blandford pricing is OK.
It's clean, staff are friendly and helpful, the location cannot be faulted.
I'm overall satisfied with the hotel and it'd rate it average.
By the hotel entrance sits a sign that says 4 stars. I'm not sure what the standards are here to get 4 stars but in my book, this is a low-end 3 star hotel. I clock roughly 100-150 hotel night's per year so I have a fair reference when I say that
star ratings mean nothing to me anymore. It's here, in these reviews where the true rating of a hotel comes out. To me, stars are merely a question of ticking the right boxes. The heart and soul of any hotel does not lie in the size of the lobby or quality of the bathroom. The staff and their way to deal with customers is where true quality lies. So in this review, I give this hotel 3 stars only because the staff has been great.

Room Tip: The free WiFi is flaky. Keeps disconnecting (other reviews point out the same issue). Asking for up...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Cragrat_DL,

Thank you very much for staying at the Blandford Hotel and your recent feedback!
Your comments are very important for us as we believe that each and any guest is our value.
I would like to thank you for sharing with others your experience with us and also would like to thank you for positive comments regarding cleanness of our rooms and our perfect location. Our friendly staff is always there to assist you with all the enquiries and we are always trying to bring an extra service to each and any guest. Thank you very much for your comments regarding the value for your stay, our team is always there to ensure that you can get the Best Available rate in the area. Regarding your comments about our Buffet Breakfast I am really sorry to hear that it didn't match your expectations, normally our breakfast is highly rated by other guests as we always bring up the fresh groceries and keep the temperature of our cooked or cold buffet as per our standards to ensure that each and any guest is having a fulfilling breakfast for the good start of the day!
I would like to apologise for the issues with the wifi connection, our wifi provider has been already informed about problem with connection and I am sure that's by now it's already sorted.
We would definitely like to see you at the Blandford soon again, please do not hesitate to contact our reception staff directly at +44 020 7486 3103 to receive a special package as our returning guest and also to enquire about your requirements!

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I took a standard black taxi from Paddington so I know what the cost is. I asked the desk clerk to call a taxi on my return to Paddington. He called a company (not a black London cab) and the fare was double.

I agree that the breakfast isn't really worth getting up for. The layout of the room means you have to stand in the door when someone's trying to bring in more food. The serving table should be on the outside wall and another half meter added in length.

Nothing wrong with the hotel part. Functional small room to be expected at this price. Excellent location.

Room Tip: Mine was in the back and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
CapricornHotels, Manager at Blandford Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Bwagk,

Thank you very much for staying with us and your recent feedback! I was really glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in our functional in size, but really clean and comfortable bedrooms!
Our friendly staff is always trying to help our guests with any enquiries and we do collaborate with different transportation providing companies and as you probably know it's not possible to call the previously mentioned Cab service over the phone, therefore we have a list of local cab services what always advise us the rate for any journey, just to confirm the rates with the guests. We are working with some companies for many years and we normally don't have any problems related to transfers or pick up services as the companies we are working with are always arriving in time and gives and extra help to all guests with luggage. I am really sorry to hear that the cab's offer didn't match your expectations,I am sure that for your next stay with us we can try to find a solution to make your stay even more comfortable ! Please kindly call us directly on +4402074863103 and we will not only give you a special discounted rate but also assist you with any enquiries you may have!
We are looking forward to hear from you soon again!

Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

very tiny room, you almost cannot move in the room. Room ist clean but very basic. Breakfast not worth while getting up for it. Good point about the hotel is the location, close to center and tube station. Quit at night. Altogether could be fine but not für the price

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CapricornHotels, Manager at Blandford Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Rainer302,

Thank you very much for staying with us and your feedback. Your opinion is very important for us.
I am very sorry to hear that you very not happy with your room size, as the Blandford Hotel is located in Central London and the building itself is conversion of two Victorian Houses each room has got different measurements, please do not hesitate to contact Blandford directly when planning to stay with us again, we will definitely try to do our best to allocate you the most comfortable room.
I would like to that you about mentioning our location - indeed, if you are planning to explore Central London and require an easy access to Underground or buses via Central directions, you are at the right spot.
Access to the Baker Street or Marylebone Stations is just walking distance from the Blandford and at the same time we are located on the peaceful Chiltern Street which is just perfect to enjoy the good night sleep while located in Central London!

We hope you will have a safe journey!

Ocean Springs,MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Blanford Hotel for 3 nights around mid June. We loved our little hotel. The check in desk and reception area are very tiny but clean and cozy. All staff we came in contact with were friendly, courteous and helpful. Our room was one of the smallest we have stayed in but it was spotless and well furnished. They have a small breakfast room and breakfast was included in our room rate. Breakfast included, croissants, hard rolls, yogurt, fruit, cereal, juice, eggs, sausage, baked beans, tomatoes, coffee and tea. Very pleasant experience. The hotel was conveniently located about a half block from the Big Bus stop which made it easy to catch each morning. We were able to walk to Oxford Street and beyond. We are walkers so we enjoyed the hotel's location. A variety of restaurants, sandwich shops and grocery stores are close by as well. We caught the Heathrow Express, (buy a round trip ticket)
arrived at Paddington Station and took a cab to the hotel. There is no bar or restaurant in this hotel, but the quiet and safety we experienced there was worth it! We would be happy to return and stay at this delightful English hotel. (reasonably priced for London area as well!)
oh yes, A/C in the room!

Room Tip: Room Number 10 was convenient. One flight of stairs and located by itself! very quiet!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CapricornHotels, Manager at Blandford Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Gulfcoastgirl_8,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and your positive feedback! The feedback from our guests is very important for us and I am really happy to hear that you could fully enjoy our hotel's location, tidy and cosy room, fresh and tasty breakfast but the most important I highly appreciate your feedback regarding our friendly and courteous staff! I am really proud to hear that our team was providing you a good service as previously mentioned they are really trying to do their best to ensure you have the most during your stay!
I would definitely recommend to contact our team every time if you are planning to stay with and it specially if you are planning to go for another walking tour! There are plenty of exciting routes known by our staff what we are sure you would be interested in. We are always keeping a track of newly opened and interesting places near by and always happy to share a secret gem with you!
As you have mentioned about our room sizes I can agree that the room sizes vary depending on the location, please do not hesitate to contact us directly so we can take a very good care of your room allocation and requirements!

We are definitely looking forward to see you soon again at the Blandford Hotel!

Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I regularly use this hotel as I come to London most weeks on business. I have always found the Blandford to be a friendly and homely hotel and so convenient for Baker Street tube station that can connect you to almost anywhere in London. The staff are attentive and polite and the hearty breakfast provides a great start to the day. I look forward to my next stay in a weeks time and can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
CapricornHotels, Manager at Blandford Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Iwe,

Thank you very much for your regular stays at the Blandford Hotel!
We highly appreciate you feedback and always looking for an opportunity to provide our regular guests with another fine stay with us! As you have mentioned - indeed Baker Street station is just few minutes walking distance and other public transport such a Bus is available within even from a shorter distance from us! Our friendly staff is always there 24 hours a day to ensure that you have everything you need for your comfort. We highly value our guests and we are always looking forward to go an extra mile to ensure that you have positive and pleasant memories from each of your stays with us! Please do not hesitate to contact us directly whenever you are planning to stay with us again and our attentive staff will make sure that we will allocate preferred room to ensure your stay is even more convenient!

Our friendly team is looking forward to see you soon again!

south yorks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Very impressed with this small hotel situated a few minutes from Baker Street tube station.
Initial impression is poor with a reception area and lounge well past it's best by date.
Reception staff friendly and efficient
Rooms are decent size, vey clean and descent standard.
Breakfast absolutely fine served from 7.00 .
Great location close to marlybone , baker street and Oxford street.
Will use this regularly for my business travel location in London now

Room Tip: End of corridor rooms, 10,20.30......look to be larger size
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
CapricornHotels, Manager at Blandford Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Tykemike,

Thank you very much for staying with us and your positive feedback!
I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the Blandford Hotel and planning to stay with us again!
Our team is always looking forward to do our very best to ensure that you have a pleasant stay in our cosy and clean rooms, your Breakfast is served in time and you have all the necessary information and assistance provided from our staff. We are available 24/7 to assist you with any enquiries. We are always happy to help you with directions so you can always be updated where is the best place to dine or do some shopping!

We are looking forward to see you soon at The Blandford Hotel again and we wish you a safe journey home!

Hotel Manager

Been to Blandford Hotel? Share your experiences!