“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #400 of 1,049 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Small but comfortable rooms. The housekeeping was a little annoying on the first morning as they kept trying to wake me by tapping on the door. A call to the front desk solved the problem. Close to many great little restaurants, the Tube, Oxford St and all services. Free internet and a decent continental breakfast were both included in my rate which gave great value to my rate. I would definitely stay here again, loved the intimacy of this little hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room to get the best light.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Maurice Fabian S, Manager at The Mandeville Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear GloberunnerNYC.

We are delighted to read your kind words and it was a delight to welcome you here at the Mandeville Hotel.

We very much hope that you will visit us on your next trip to London in the meantime please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we may assist you with.

with regards,

Maurice Schuttke
The Mandeville Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Don`t have much positive to say exept it was a perfect location for us.

- Terrible beds (too hard for me..)
- Did not feel welcome by the people in the reception
Asked for a quiet room in advance and asked again when we checked in, the answer was "this is sentral London..." and was placed in a room near the lift. Not a luxury customer treatment in my opinion.
- Breakfast not impressive, not much to choose from
- Bad smell in the bar room wich you had to pass on your way to the breakfast room..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ms. CarinaOslo,

We are delighted to hear that you and your family stayed with us at the Mandeville Hotel in March. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

We are very sorry that several aspects of your visit fell short of our usual standards and that you didn't enjoy a typical Mandeville experience.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment caused.

We would very much welcome the opportunity to restore your faith, and in this respect, I hope you will contact me directly in order to discuss this. Please feel free to contact me on maurices@mandeville.co.uk

with regards,

Maurice Schuttke
The Mandeville Management
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed here on a couple of ocassions and really enjoyed and appreciated this rather lovely and personal London hotel. I recommended my sister and her partner to give it a go when next staying over in town. We had a conversation about the hotel the other day and my sister said that her stay there had been excellent......only marred by one thing.
And that was that where there had once clearly been a place for a kettle and teabags etc....there was nothing !
The only choice was expensive room service !
The breakfast was £17
They decided to eat out instead and felt a bit cheated and quite rightly, that teas and coffees had been removed from what purports to be called a "luxury hotel". Shame on you The Mandeville, how ungracious....that small action undoes any of the big efforts you make to appeal to your customers, it says you are mean and small with little interest for your clients welfare. I hope whoever made that stupid decision gets his knuckles rapped. My sister and her partner said that if the coffee was free, the breakfast would have seemed better value and have stayed. Hopefully somebody will read this review and reinstate what you pay for when you stay at a luxury hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
the Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed in the Mandeville at the end of March 2013. The location of the hotel is perfect. A short walk from Bond Street Underground station, and in the nice area of Marylebone. Lots of nice little restaurants, pubs and cafes in the area. Marylebone High Street has nice shops and Oxford Street with all the big stores is just around the corner. The room was nice, although very small but we knew that by reading other reviews and it was no problem. Staff was neutral, which we really noticed since everyone in shops and restaurants were very friendly. There is a Nespresso machine in the room, first 3 cups are for free after that it is 1,50 pound per cup. I can really advice to go to your local Nespresso shop and buy some cups before the trip (10 for 3,50 euro). There are no tea making facilities in the room (strange for an English hotel!). You can order a cup of tea from Room Service for 3,50 pound and 5,00 pound service charge!
English breakfast is 22,50 pound per person in the hotel. In the near area you have Pain Quotidien, Coco Momo, Cote Brasserie etc. who all have wonderful breakfast for less money.
We did have a nice time at the hotel, but it did not stand out for me. So I think I will book something else for our next visit to London.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have two gripes about this hotel. Unusually for the UK it doesn't provide tea and coffee making facilities. Tsk, tsk! The lift bell is very loud indeed as it arrives at each floor. Do not accept a room near the lift if you are a light sleeper! This will also spare you the noise made by guests departing early. Fortunately the beds are very comfortable and the rooms are a reasonable size. The location, off Wigmore Street is excellent; it's a couple of minutes to Bond St underground. I would stay here again but I would make sure the room was away from the lift and I would check out the competition before I made the booking.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is nowhere near the lift and make sure you have packed your ear-plugs
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Mandeville Hotel is in a handy location, if you want to be in Marylebone. And I did. I wanted to book somewhere luxurious and the sound of their afternoon tea was just the thing. But the thing is, the Mandeville wants things their own way - not your way. The Mandeville wants you submissive and grateful. Why else put over-manufactured coffee capsules in your room? Why does the woman at reception make a face when you ask for a kettle, rolling her eyes as if to say, "Everybody asks for a kettle and I'm sick of it." Well, we're asking for a kettle because we want to make tea in the morning. We're told to order it from room service. Frankly, the room price is enough to warrant not having to pay for tea that will, more than likely, arrive tepid, with no bathrobes in the room so that we might open the door without risk of humiliation. If I have to get dressed to have a cup of tea, I'll just keep going, out the front door and into Pret. I'm not going to bang on about how noisy the room was or the rooftop fan that ground on, through the night, or the recycling truck that visits at 7 am. That would be churlish. But I will say that, upon check-out, guests are asked if they'd like to leave a £3 gratuity to the hotel, for good service. Taken aback, I said no, I wouldn't. I thought I'd paid enough for my room. The woman at reception said, So, you weren't happy at all then? No, I said. The room was noisy and you had no kettles and I've given you quite enough money. Kettles, the woman said, rolling her eyes, as if everyone tells her this. I blame George Clooney. Someone has clearly taken his adverts far too seriously.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Fantastic location, right behind Selfridges and St Christophers Place, staff very helpful and friendly and kindly arranged an earlier check in at 1pm. Lovely, large double room, with huge, comfortable bed - but no heating in the tiled bathroom so a little cold. However my main disappointment was that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the bedroom. I stayed in March 2013 and it was freezing outside - after going out for a meal I was looking forward to having a nice cup of tea in bed. I was amazed that no kettle etc was provided, with a note in the hotel brochure advising tea and coffee could be ordered from room service. For a 5 star hotel this fell short of my expectations, who wants the inconvenience, delay and expense each time they fancy a cup of tea/coffee? Very disappointed and on this basis I would not stay again or recommend to friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Mandeville Hotel? Share your experiences!