“Good Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Russell

You added Hotel Russell to your Saves list
Hotel Russell
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Russell Square, London WC1B 5BE, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #515 of 1,065 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2005

Had a standard twin room for 2 nights in December and was impressed. I've stayed in many London 4 star hotels over the last few years and have to say that this was good value. The location is great with the tube station round the corner and buses stopping at the front of the hotel. The room we had was spacious by London standards, clean with nice decor and very quiet (facing the back of the hotel). Bathroom was also roomy, stylish and spotlessly clean with nice toiletries. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly and went out of their way to help us with a couple of issues.
There were only some minor niggles. We stayed there during really cold weather and the room windows were not double glazed despite an apparently expensive renovation programme. One of the staff told me that the suites and a few top rooms have had windows replaced with double glazing but most rooms still have the old windows. This is maybe a more important consideration in the middle of winter and where street noise intrudes. The air conditioning/heating seems to work well however and the staff even offered to put a portable heater in the room, though it wasn't necessary.
The other issue is that prices for snacks and tea seem exorbitant even for London. £10+ for a sandwich is really pushing it.
But these were only very small problems in an otherwise excellent hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Turkish first
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2005

I stay in London every month for a period of two to three days every 2 weeks and I always stay in the Russell. From outside it looks very impressive but for me it is a very warm place to stay, far from the run-down buildings typical of some big chains in London. The architecture inside is as wonderful as the one outside and the continental breakfast is great. But the room service is, well, very Britsh and a bit expensive. Besides, there are nice restaurants nearby. I always take a small room for one and never had any issue: they are clean, confortable and with the appropriate space for a short stay. The only caveat for me is the air conditioning/heating that are a bit noisy and tends to be located on top of the bed. The hotel is also well located, not far from Oxford Street and the Soho, a step from a tube station and two steps from the Britsh Museum. Having a cup of tea at the Russell Square, right in front of the hotel, is a very pleasent activity during the summer. I never tried the more luxurious rooms but they seem very nice...

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
Marlboro, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2005

Took 2 rooms here for my family. It was an excellent choice. Three best things: location, location, location. Access to the tube, busses and taxis (i.e., all of London) could not be better. The recent renovations result in a classic English hotel with modern conveniences. Wonderful buffet breakfast. Interestingly, we rented 2 double rooms and they varied considerably in size - altho even the smaller one was a decent size for a European hotel. But the bathroom in the larger one was almost twice the size as in the smaller - and both rooms were the same price. So you may want to ask for another room if the one assigned seems small. Everything worked fine and was clean and fresh.
Only complaint was the concierge, who was a complete waste. Had almost no knowledge of the area (couldn't recommend a local Thai restaurant when there was a good one 2 blocks away); he was much more interested in sending you to restaurants with a referral card. Can you say "kickback"?? He gave us directions one day and actually sent us the wrong way. They need to replace him. The doorman, though, is quite nice and knowledgeable. Ask him any questions instead. Cheers!

• Stayed November 2005
Puebla, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2005

I note that the reviews of the Russell have improved along with the pace of the renovations!
It was pleasant to stay in an English hotel and not an international depersonalised chain. Our fifth floor room was small but comfortable and had everything we needed for a stay of six nights. The linen and towels were clean and the beds comfortable. The plumbing was a bit sluggish which is not surprising in an old building. (I wonder how the baths drain in Buck Palace)
Our excellent European buffet breakfast was included in our package and we ate enough (healthy food!) to keep us going all day! The restaurant staff was mostly Eastern European and were very pleasant, but my favourite was a middle-aged woman from Donegal who is a native Gaelic speaker. We did not have occasion to use the bar or restaurant, but I am told they are good ( and London is expensive!) Tesco is just around the corner and we picked up snacks there if we were hungry or needed bottled water.
Another reason that we would return to the Russell is that it is so convenient to everything! If you want to skimp on phone calls and e-mail, there are kiosks across the road. There is the tube, bus stops, Tesco, the PO , banks, good souvenir shops, London University and just about anything a traveller would need minutes away.
The old Victorian stairs are great exercise though the lifts are efficient!
I am sure if your room were not satisfactory, you could get a room change. The staff were very friendly. But then we wanted an English hotel not a Marriott or a Hilton replete with gangs of trans- Atlantic tourist families.

Stayed November 2005
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

We stayed here 3 times and will stay here again the next time in London. We did get great deals all 3 times, and perhaps that contibutes to our positive review. Our stay in the Queen Victoria Suite for 90 pounds per night was the best. 4 poster bed, balcony, windowed breakfast nook sitting area, and superb service. We were quite happy. The other 2 times were in renovated rooms for under $100 per night. Very happy with those rooms as well. Right above the Russell square Tube, and one train from Heathrow was convenient. Beautiful marble lobby is a nice introduction.

• Stayed November 2003
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2005

I booked a non-smoking double at the Russell, Thursday 22nd Sept. On checking in at 20:45, I found that the room allocated was a tiny single. On returning to reception, the friendly and pleasant receptionist, with whom I had dealt with on 2 previous visits checked my confirmation e-mail and a surly male receptionist "took over". He took 10 minutes to check the computer system, and then informed me there were no non-smoking double rooms left. (so why did they allow me to book one in the first place?) I then said I did not mind a smoking room, and asked politely for a complimentary upgrade as it was their mistake, it was nearly 9pm and I had been kept waiting around for some time. He condescendingly said a complimentary upgrade was out of the question, if I wanted to upgrade it would cost me £70. His manner and attitude were both appalling. I can only assume that as the booking had been made through an agency at a cheap rate, I deserved substandard service. I accepted the smoking double on the third floor. On arrival I can now see that he had allocated this one out of spite. The room was very small, the gap between the table and the bed was about 12 inches. But the bathroom was so tiny! The basin was about 10 inches by 4 inches, and the bath was about half the size of a normal bath, totally inadequate.
I have stayed here on 2 occasions previously, after a slight hiccough on the first stay I was given a complimentary upgrade for the second stay, which was absolutely first class, maybe my expectations for this stay were too high. I have always found the staff to be pleasant and helpful in the past, and a credit to the Russell, but this surly, unpleasant and condescending man is certainly the exception to the rule. I think in future I will ask my company to remove the Russell from their list of accommodation.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

I just got back from Europe. I think Russell Hotel is a fine place to stay. Our first assigned room had a broken air condition. They switched us immediately upon reporting the problem. Both rooms were nice and clean. The breakfast that was included in the room rate were the best I encountered in all the 3-star hotels we stayed during the entire trip. The concierge was very helpful and made calls for me whenever needed. Very good location - convenient and quiet location.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Hotel Russell? Share your experiences!