“Good location and good nights sleep” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Russell

You added Hotel Russell to your Saves list
Hotel Russell
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Russell Square, London WC1B 5BE, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #514 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Good location and good nights sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

One night pre conference in the same building.
Room 713 top floor at the end: a spacious single with a new shower room/ loo. Clean and in outstanding order. Iron and trouser press, usual coffee& tea, TV, useful small desk. A quiet room , with a good nights sleep. I had not looked at the star rating , but can guarantee that I felt comfortable there.
Its Victorian brownstone type building facing the grassy square, very close the tube. Excellent breakfast service with proffered poached eggs, all the rest as per any other hotel buffet breakfast. All service staff were welcoming and friendly.
Swift modern lifts, the rest is a period property , with massive expanses of marble staircases.
Prêt a manger and Tesco express very close by.

Room Tip: Room 713 top floor at the end: a spacious single (double bed against a window) with a new shower roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Julie H, Manager at Hotel Russell, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We genuinely endeavour to create a relaxing and comfortable visit for all of our guests and I am so pleased that this was the case for you. Each room is cleaned to an extremely high standard and we ensure that all the necessary amenities you may require any neatly tucked away for you in your room.

We are ideally located as we are within walking distance to many of London’s major attractions and transport links and so glad that you found this beneficial during your stay.

Breakfast is freshly prepared by our team of Chefs each morning and they create a variety of dishes to suit any palate. I am also pleased that you enjoyed this as well as the service provided by our entire team.

I am happy that you enjoyed our good location and a good night’s sleep. I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Kindest regards

Julie Hammond
Regional General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

If this hotel marketed itself as a 3 star then it would be fine. Tiny old rooms that need refreshing and repairing. I could only access my bed from one side!?! I've never stayed in a 4 star hotel that has rooms so tired and small.

Room Tip: Bargain hard and don't pay 4 star prices
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Clinton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights with a toddler and found it easy to get to because it was almost right off the tube, They were also good with little ones. The breakfast was a little pricey, but worth it as it was good, plenty and we were in a hurry. The only problem we ran into (being our first time in London) was our flight left at 6:30 AM - requiring us to be there at 4:30 AM - and the tube and trains quit running after 11:30 PM/midnight. The buses still run, but we ended up taking a taxi to Stansted airport, not wanting to miss out on ANY sleep that we could get. The concierge was great about setting this up for us. As for the hotel itself....it was beautiful. The rooms could use a little updating, but they were clean. The staff was very helpful. The only reason I took away one star is I was a little concerned when we went to store our bags in a room with the concierge (too early to check in) and the light wouldn't come on. Old hotel??? Old wiring??? Other than that....it is definitely a hotel I would go back to.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Directly connected by 45min ride on tube from Heathrow T1,2,3. Conveniently located near the Strand, West End,Covent Garden and St.Pancras train station.
Very old building with some modern touches. Yes, it looks bit dated and shabby there and there, but otherwise the double room was very spacious with nice view over the park.
Bed is very comfortable, there is flat TV, safe, iron and decent barthroom.
Breakfast was included in the room rate and was decent also. Bit on the "fried" side but ok.
The only thing is ... the WIFI !!! 1 free hour every 4 hours??? What's that ?!?
And you can hear the noise from the outside ( busy road ) so take ear plugs if you light sleeper.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Pontypool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

There are mixed reviews of this hotel, but I can only comment on my own experience.
I had e-mailed the hotel prior to our arrival to say we would be celebrating my partners birthday and to request a room with a view of the gardens.
Our room was certainly well appointed on the 4th floor on one side of the building with a view towards the square. My partner even had a slice of cake waiting in the room to wish him a Happy Birthday!
All the staff from check-in on Friday afternoon to the bar staff, breakfast room and concierge were polite and helpful.
The location is superb - opposite Russell Square gardens, a short walk to the British Museum and a Piccadilly line tube station on the doorstep.
We would certainly consider staying here again if we return for another weekend break.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My friend and I have just returned from staying at the Russell hotel, we had a junior suite (705) all I can say is what a pic and mix of a hotel. Reception area is beautiful but rooms are not what to be expected. Carpets torn, horrendous bathroom, scratched wooden flooring, awlful paint jobs, wonky plug sockets, bathroom taps that move, light bulbs blown and very noisy. We we're on the 7th floor and views of Central London were amazing but the noise level was loud even at that height, I can't imagine what it's like lower down.
The hotel is in a perfect location for exploring Central London with Russell square tube station just behind it, I just feel a little conned to be honest with the rooms. I have personally stayed in suites before but the Russell seem to have there own understanding of what a suite should be, maybe it's just me and my expectation but I certainly didn't expect to see the things listed above in such a high end hotel. Another disappointing factor was the suite bathroom, nothing like advertised (roll top) instead a small pokey area where you couldn't swing a cat. Personally I think the Russell had a refit a few years back and hasn't been touched since as it's started to get dated in certain areas. The bar area was lovely full of potential but was disappointed to see it cheapened by some dodgy Budweiser merchandise on the shelf above the bar and the fact that the open fire wasn't working. drinks we're pricey £5 for pint of coke but customer service did not match the price tag.

Overall a disappointing visit to the Russell full of pros and cons, pros based mainly on the location and interior of the lobby, cons based solely on the degrading decisions made but management to cheapened the hotel and not deal with areas which need updating.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife was celebrating a 'significant' birthday with a party on the Thames so I thought it would be a nice touch to stay in a good quality hotel near the venue. Having stayed at various PH hotels in the past I thought that they were generally very good value so when I received an email to say that there was a special offer that very weekend the decision was made. The hotel building is quite fabulous, an amazing piece of architecture and the staff are absolutely top class but there were a couple of niggles; the information in the room was incorrect in that it said that breakfast on Sunday would be until noon but we missed the actual breakfast closing time of 10.30am by just a few minutes. In fairness the staff did arrange for a breakfast substitute in our room but it caused a delay that made my wife late for an appointment. What was so very irritating about this was that the staff knew that the room information was wrong but omitted to let us know when we checked in - or if they did tell us, they didn't make it clear that the room info was wrong so since we checked in quite late and tired it would not have registered. The other little niggle was that we phoned down to ask them to hail a taxi. We went straight out to see whether a taxi was already there but there was only a minicab - the driver asked if we were going to Heathrow, which we weren't, so I assumed that he was waiting for somebody else. After a few minutes I asked the concierge if a taxi had been ordered and he offered us the minicab! We declined as they are notorious for charging unsuspecting passengers very high rates so he flagged down a black cab within seconds. The concierge staff were otherwise incredibly helpful so I just put it down to a misunderstanding.
However, the overall impression was of quality - an excellent room and beautiful surroundings - so I would unhesitatingly stay there again. (But I would double check the restuarant service times!)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Julie H, General Manager at Hotel Russell, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you chose to celebrate your wife’s birthday with us at Hotel Russell.

I am also glad that you enjoyed the rich heritage and grandeur of our Hotel as we have ensured that this has been well maintained over the years.

I am sorry to learn of the miscommunication regarding our new breakfast times. Our team mention this to all guests upon arrival, but I do apologise if this was not the case for you and for any inconvenience caused. I am pleased that our team were able to arrange breakfast for you and our new brochure has placed in all of our rooms.

Taxis are arranged on a daily basis for our guests upon request, especially if they are travelling a distance such as the airport. Taxis are also hailed for guests upon short notice should they require this for a central London location. Please be assured that the cab company we use is competitively priced and provides an exceptional service. I am glad that our Concierge was helpful and arranged your cab for you.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the excellent room and beautiful surroundings and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell in the future.

Kindest regards

Julie Hammond
Regional General Manager

Been to Hotel Russell? Share your experiences!