“A Good Hotel for the price with a gr8 Location..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Russell

You added Hotel Russell to your Saves list
Hotel Russell
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Russell Square, London WC1B 5BE, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #513 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“A Good Hotel for the price with a gr8 Location..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and it is a very nice property with good breakfast and rooms..!! A special mention is for the location which is quite good. Bond street, Oxford street all the major areas of the city is very close and a metro station is right behind the hotel...!!
Highly recommended..!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bart L, Manager at Hotel Russell, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.
We are ideally located as we are within a stone’s throw to many of London’s major attractions and transport links. We are so pleased that you found this beneficial during your stay.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have a never ending list of disappointment when it comes to this hotel. Firstly, I booked this for myself and partner's 6 year anniversary and I thought it would be luxurious because of the grand building. Although I did read many mixed reviews on this hotel, I thought I would still give it a try seeing as I found a good deal on Booking.com for £69. However, imagine walking down the street and loosing that money... That's how I felt as soon as I walked into my hotel room and felt sad to see how small and cramped the room was. Alright, it was only a double room but I've been to many other hotels and their double rooms have been fantastic compared to Hotel Russell.

My first impressions where poor. I walked into the hotel and it was dark and I felt like I was in a scene from Titanic for some reason. When I checked in the staff barely engaged with me, I felt uncomfortable. Maybe it was because I was young (20 years old), I felt a nasty atmosphere. I then took my card for my room which was room 219, the walk from reception to my room was quite long but at the time it was exciting. I finally got to the door and walked into the room, my heart sunk with the disappointment! The room was cramped and small, there was two little hairs on my bed, which looked like pubes, which made me want to cry. I didn't contact management because I was already as sad as could be. The bathroom tiles were gross. It was an overall very outdated hotel, and nothing luxurious about it apart from the grand staircase.

I really wouldn't recommend this hotel at all! I'm glad I only spent £69 because I checked in at 2:45 and my partner and I left the hotel at 6. We preferred to go back home, instead of sleeping in the stiff, creaky bed we laid in (with disgust). It's just such a shame that I will remember my 6 anniversary as the day I was cringe enough to book a hotel room and plan our evening together but it all failed because we had nowhere to come back to. So yeah, DO NOT FALL FOR THE DECEIVING IMAGES THAT MANAGEMENT PUT UP AND ADVERTISE BECAUSE THE ROOMS LOOK NOTHING LIKE THE PICTURES!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bart L, Manager at Hotel Russell, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment experienced.

We pride ourselves on our high standards and endeavour to create a comfortable and relaxing stay for all of our guests.

I am sorry for the concerns you encountered and only wish you had made us aware of this during your visit.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further please contact our Guest Relations Executive, Bebita Dhaya at bebita.dhaya@principal-hayley.com as she will be more than happy to assist you.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I booked a night at the Russell as a birthday treat for my daughter, but although the check-in time was given as 2pm, when we arrived at 3.30pm we were told that our room wasn't ready. We were offered a complimentary drink in the bar, but as we had an appointment elsewhere in London at 5pm, this wasn't particularly helpful. However, when we finally gained access, the room was large, clean & comfortable, with two huge beds, and we had a good night's sleep. We decided that the quality of the breakfast would be the clincher, and although we had to queue to get into the restaurant, the range and quality of the food available was excellent. Very impressive decor on the ground floor,too, with a wonderful marble staircase.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn of the delay experienced upon your arrival at Hotel Russell. Unfortunately, the previous guest had departed much later than anticipated, however our team ensured that your room was cleaned as soon as possible.

I am delighted that you had a good night’s sleep on our huge double beds and that you also enjoyed the immaculate cleanliness and space of your room.

Breakfast is extremely popular and our team of Chefs ensure that all of guests are served as soon as possible. Each dish is freshly prepared each morning and we ensure that a variety of dishes are available to suit any palate.

We pride ourselves on the rich heritage of our building and I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to experience this including our wonderful marble staircase.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

east sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My wife and I chose the Hotel Russell at Russell Square in London for an overnight stay while going to the Novelle theatre.It was an excellent choice,such a beautiful old building from the outside and inside it was amazing with the most beautiful marble stair case as a centre piece.The staff at reception were very welcoming and we were soon off to our room.This was a double and very attractive inside.Beautifully decorated and furnished and such a comfortable bed with magical sleeping powers.The cleaning was to a very high standard.Breakfast time came and despite a short queue this soon cleared and we enjoyed a delicious plenty of choice breakfast with the most attentive polite staff you could have wished for.The only thing we didnt like were the high bar prices so we stayed sober.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We are ideally located as we are within a short walk to the West End and many of London’s other major attractions. I am pleased that you found our location so ideal.

Our Hotel is steeped in history and we have ensured that our rich heritage has been well maintained and captured over the years.

We are so glad that you found our bed to have magical sleeping powers as we have ensured that all of our mattresses are of an extremely high quality as we do want all of our guests to have a good sleep.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed your Full English breakfast which is freshly prepared each morning by our team of Chefs.

I am sorry to learn that you found our bar prices too high, please do be assured that they are in line with other leading hotels in the area. Our Tempus bar is well known for it’s charm and warm atmosphere and I do hope that you have the opportunity to experience this in the future.

I am so glad that you found our Hotel to be an excellent choice and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Located right next to Russell Square tube station, this hotel has it all. Amazing breakfast (some of the best eggs and THE best porriage I've ever had!). Nice bar for a quick meal and a wonderful restaurant (that seems to love Aretha Franklin as background music!). Room was larger than expected with up-to-date bath with large shower/tub and towel warmers. Room service, internet and cable tv available.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are so pleased that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your amazing breakfast and found the eggs and porridge to be the best ever, I can certainly agree with that.

Our Tempus Restaurant is known for its warm and relaxing atmosphere and do hope you enjoyed our selection of music.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed your room and found this to be spacious and we do want all of our guests to be as comfortable as possible during their stay.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our ideal location and great atmosphere and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the future.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband and me spent 1 night there, beautiful place, such an old building!
The reception team was nice, but they didn't give us much information about breakfast, internet, etc...
We had dinner at the restaurant, very nice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bart L, Manager at Hotel Russell, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. Hotel Russell is one of London’s oldest purpose built hotels dating back to 1896 and retains many of its original features. I am glad that you enjoyed the luxury of Hotel Russell during your stay.

I appreciate you feedback on the Reception team, your constructive comments will give us the opportunity to further improve the services we offer.

I am pleased that you enjoyed dining in our Tempus Restaurant. We pride ourselves on our high standards and ensure all of our guests have a memorable experience.

dublin, ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I had a single room here for one night. The hotel is lovely on the outside and the public areas are very nice but everything else about hotel is average. The room was sort of shabby chic but more shabby than chic. The front bedrooms are noisy but I came prepared with ear phones so I had a good nights sleep. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast average and the concierge was grumpy but for the money I paid it was not bad at all and might stay again for the location, just beside the tube.

Stayed April 2014
Bart L, Manager at Hotel Russell, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that the central location of Hotel Russell suited your requirements well and you found our beds comfortable.

I am concerned that we did not meet your expectations fully. We have a variety of different rooms to suit our guest requirements and I am sure the team would have arranged for an alternative room more to your preference on being notified of the concerns.

I have taken a note of your comments regarding breakfast and concierge service. I am confident that a combination of improved product & attention to detail will impact positively to the overall guest experience.

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Russell? Share your experiences!