“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #487 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Bourne, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel was really nice and clean.
The room was a little on the small side but it was for only one night, however the bed creaked really badly which was quite annoying.
THe breakfast was lovely and a lot of food to pick from
Would stop again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Turkish first
Romsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

on arriving at the hotel we were checked in quickly I was looking for the bedroom as it looked fantastic on the website a standard rm great.opening the door we found a small room so unlike the "standard on the website"the rooms were clean albeit dust on the lightbulb at the top,breakfast was everything from cereals to scrambled egg the toaster wasn't working and why can someone not make a milkjug that doesn't tip the lot over you?? the shower wouldn't drain properly that was sort of fixed for a four star hotel it should be a 3 star hotel receptionists and staff were friendly this is a three star hotel, all these things should have been looked at before we arrived

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Russell in London the night before the start of the Olympics and I wasn't expecting too much. However, when I checked in, I was told that the room I had booked was very small and for an extra £20 I could upgrade to an executive suite - at that price I thought it would be rude to say no ;)

The room was absolutely gorgeous, as well as being massive; it was on the top floor and had fantastic views out of the huge bay window. The shower was one of the most modern I have ever used - water sprays from everywhere!

The staff were very well presented and very friendly - not always the case in other hotels unfortunately.

I cannot comment on breakfast as I overslept (in the very comfortable bed), so I did not have time to try it, but I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in London (particularly if I can get a reasonable deal).

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed with my daughter in a superior twin room on the fifth floor. The Reception staff were efficient, friendly and excellent allowing us to check in early. The Concierge was very helpful and charming. The room was very warm and the air conditioning unit would not go below 19degrees. Surprised to see scratched cabinets and furniture. The windows were filthy. The em suite shower was grubby with black mould on the grout and the shower partly broken. No mini bar in room. Big queue to get to breakfast in large dining room, felt like a cheap, buffet abroad.

• Stayed August 2013
Lancashire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were extremely disappointed with this hotel which is more like a 3 star than a four star. The room we were allocated (230) was not big enough to swing a cat and the bathroom was so small you had to virtually stand in the toilet to get out of the shower. The room was also very noisy, we could hear everyone coming and going from their rooms and had the constant noise of the traffic outside as the windows were not double glazed.

We had to queue for ten minutes to get a table for breakfast and the food was not much better than a greasy spoon. We have stayed in Principal Hayley hotels before and not been disappointed but we don't feel that the Russell meets to the usual standards. The only plus point was the Concierge, a lovely man who was extremely helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid room 230 which is tiny.
Barrington, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

5 of us arrived at the front desk with 3 prepaid reservations only to have the clerk disappear. Minutes later she returned telling us that our rooms were unavailable. (This seems to have happened to some 50 other "guests".)
Instead, we were told we had been relocated to a hotel several miles away (not to be found on my London Streetwise map). Explaining that this was unacceptable, they did find another hotel which had a more suitable location for our need to be somewhat close to the 2 theaters where we had tickets.
I have never been treated as shabbily as this by any other establishment any where in my travels.
I would never even consider the Russell Hotel for my next trip to London

Room Tip: Don't bother. You could find your room in Brighton.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cotswolds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Booked through Gala - best deal around, all went smoothly. Quick check in. Lovely hotel and room. Was my birthday and had a card and a piece of cake waiting in the room - nice touch. Breakfast was good. Ideal location for all attractions. Met other family members at hotel, all had nice rooms. Enjoyable stay. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Been to Hotel Russell? Share your experiences!