“Don't expect to get your breakfast ...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Russell

You added Hotel Russell to your Saves list
Hotel Russell
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Russell Square, London WC1B 5BE, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #512 of 1,066 Hotels in London
London
“Don't expect to get your breakfast ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hotel was fine and reception staff nice - though it was very expensive 165 pounds for a single for one night - which supposedly includes breakfast - as it would at that price! However, when I arrived my suspicions were aroused by signs that said that breakfast service could get rather busy between the hours of something like 8.30 till ten and that guests should - get this - organise themselves to ideally eat either side of this! I thought - it can't be that bad, surely? This was a Friday night stay after a long week of business - so I'm not going to get up at 7 am to have breakfast at THEIR convenience. I get down there about 8.45 and there is a snaking long queue of people - TO JUST GET INTO THE BREAKFAST ROOM!!!! You have GOT to be kidding me! I can't wait for later as I have a train to catch - so I have no other choice but to forgo the breakfast altogether. It is just inconceivable to me that the management of this hotel are happy to completely fail to provide the space, facilities and staff to ensure that they can provide breakfast to their guests at any time during the advertised breakfast service hours - but apparently they are. I don't work in hotel management but if I did I would be utterly ashamed to do so - what ever happened to providing service for the benefit of the paying customer not at the convenience of greedy and lazy management??

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Russell, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you were unable to enjoy breakfast due to the delay in being seated.

Breakfast begins at 7am each morning and whilst we are unable to control when guests arrive for this, we endeavour to be as prepared as possible. We do also have signs advising guests of the peak times,but by no means ask them to organise themselves. We do also have a Full English Buffet in our Library which works extremely well and only wish you had waited a few additional minutes as guests are seated as soon as possible.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to experience our Full English Breakfast in the future at Hotel Russell as we do receive many compliments on the variety of our dishes as well as the excellent service that our team provides.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Turkish first
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We like the location because we can walk from Kings Cross station. The bus service from outside the hotel is brilliant. Our room was very good - at the back of the hotel so it was quiet. We thought the concierge was very friendly and helpful. We left our suitcase and went out for the day and evening because we could not check in until 2 pm. not a problem.
Yes we had to queue a short time for breakfast and we thought the food was good.
We would return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had a lovely stay with us.

We are a stone's throw away from many of London's great attractions as well as within walking distance of many transport links. I am pleased that you found our location so convenient.

I am glad that you enjoyed your room as well as the friendly and helpful service offered by our Concierge as we aim to ensure that each guest has a memorable experience with us. I will certainly share your kind comments with our teams.

I am sorry that you waited a few minutes to be seated for breakfast, but pleased that you enjoyed this.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We booked into the Russell hotel in Russell Square as part of a weekend theatre break, over the weekend before bonfire night. We had seen the Russell Hotel whilst staying in the same vicinity during an earlier stay, & thought we would give it a try. Check in was very smooth, & our roonm was very nice, well appointed, & immaculately clean. The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom area was also very spacious. That theme was true of the whole hotel, not the usual narrow corridors with low cielings, but wide spacious corridors with high ceilings. Clearly built in a time when guest comfort was as important as head count. The public areas of the hotel are also so well appointed, which enriched the experience of staying there. There is a magnificent marble staircase leading to the first two floors, which in itself is an experience to walk down, the bar area ,vestibule & dining room areas follow this trend & have been so well kept by the Hotel owners, which is of credit to them.
The location of the hotel is very good, as it is only a short ride on the tube to either Kings Cross or Covent garden. The downside is there are 175 steps down to the pklatform & the lifts get very conjested at peak times.
Sadly on the morning of our first breakfast there, we had a bad experience. As we waited in the que we were asked to move into another room as the restaurant was very busy that morning. We went along with the request, where we were seated at bar tables which are ok for drinks but unsuitable for eating breakfast as they neither have the room & are far too low. We were directed to the buffet in a room next to the bar, there was quite a que for drinks been dispenced from pump pots, the toaster was inadequate for the amount of guests using it, they has run out of butter & jams as well as fried eggs, the hot food was more or less cold. The whole thing looked as if it had just been thrown together. I asked a lady in the bar area for some salt & pepper, she told me it was nothing to do with her, she would have to ask someone to deal with it. Which for me summed up that first breakfast experience, very poor.
All that said that was the only issue we had during our stay & I ampleased to say the following morning we got a seat in the restaurant & both the food & service were very good.
To sum up the Hotel is very clean in all areas, the architechture is magnificent, it makes you feel very grand to be there, it is a very nice experience. With the earlier exception all the staff were very polite , helpful & obliging with a very caring nature, which i believe is very important. Yes I would stay there again as i believe the breakfast issue was likely a blip & I am sure they will not allow it to be repeated.

Room Tip: Lower floors can suffer noise from functions such as wedding type disco noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for you review on Tripadvisor. Please do accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced with your breakfast on the first day.

Breakfast begins from 7am and whilst we are unable to control when guests may arrive we endeavour to be prepared as possible. During the busy period guests are given the option of dining in the bar or restaurant. We ensure that the same dishes are served for our guests in both areas, however I am so sorry that this seemed very rushed and that the seating was not very comfortable. Please do be assured that your comments have been taken on board and that we have taken further steps to ensure that we are prepared as possible as do want our guests to have a relaxing comfortable breakfast with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit otherwise and appreciated the rich architecture of our building. We take exceptional pride in our services and have ensured that the grandeur and elegance of The Hotel has been maintained. I am glad that you found your room cleaned to a high standard and your bed so comfortable as we do want guests to have a memorable experience with us.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell and we will endeavour to turn around your breakfast experience for you.

Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Location is really excelent, tube one block away and a short walk from British Museum, Oxford Street and other attractions.
Extras are really expensive. We paid 18 pounds for a local call to a mobile phone, about 5 minutes. This discouraged us to get any other services from the hotel.
The room (standard double twin) was quite small, Ibis standard.
Other pain was sleeping there. The pillows were thin and uncomfortable, the double bed just a small size one and, worst of all, everyday a trash truck (or somehing alike) made a lot of noise just by our window, which was in the second floor in the back of the building, very early in the morning. At weekends you may expect loud music and shouting from the pub next to the building (or you could just join the party, if you're in the mood).

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Russell, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you found the phone charges too expensive. In our Guest Services Directory we do state the cost of the calls both national and international. Please do let me assure you that we we are inline with other leading hotels in the area.

Our beds range from singles, double, queen and king size. You experienced the standard double size, however do hope that you may have the opportunity to experience a more spacious bed upon your next stay. I am also sorry that you found your pillows to thin and only wish you had informed us as we would have been more than happy to send some extra fluffy pillows up to your room for you.

I do apologise for any inconvenience you experienced from the outside noise. To our knowledge we do not have any trucks that arrive early in the morning, but will certainly look into this for you. Usually the sound from the nearby pub is not audible, however I am sorry that this was not the case for you on this occasion.

We are a stone's throw away from many of London's major attractions as well as within a short distance of many transport links. I am glad that you found our location so beneficial.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Jessheim, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We are happy for finding this hotel on "booking.com", thank you! GREAT location in Bloomsbury, not far from Kings Cross/St.Pancras and Russel Square underground station around the corner. We love the parks and the chanals, and for this it was not long to Regents Park (wonderful). And on the top, few minutes walking to the (New) Oxford Street (and the Downtown). The hotel itself was an charming old building, as a picture of the history. We get offer for up-grading the room, worth the money, big room and wonderful view to the park (even the bathroom was poor and small). The staff was overall helpful, the concierge was very helpful, as taken from history of old Great Britian. As taken from the history was also the breakfast"room", with a breakfast for every choise. And do`nt forget the bar (or what do you call it)? Dark, brown, deep chaires, gentleman in the corner seems to be sitting there from the 30ies... ladies with the english breakfast tea... wonderful! As long as we feel London as a part of the "old", we will visit this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We endeavour to provide exceptional service to our guests and ensure that they are comfortable and relaxed throughout their stay. I am pleased that this was certainly the case for you.

We are extremely proud of our rich heritage and magnificent structure of our building. We have ensured that the grandeur and charm of our Hotel has been captured and I am so pleased that you appreciated this and also enjoyed our Tempus Bar and Lounge.

We understand that importance of breakfast and ensure that we serve a variety of dishes to suit any palate. We want all of our guests start their day happy and content.

We can assure you that we will always maintain the historic richness of our Hotel and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location, near Euston and great for getting around on the tube. Room was fine, comfy enough for the little time we spent in it and great architecture – good sized bathroom. My big gripe is the breakfast which was lukewarm at best. Choice and quantity of food was fine but the hot food is pre-cooked and supposedly kept hot under lamps. It does not work and the food was barely warm. After two days of this I complained and I have to say the staff took my compliant seriously and we had a hot breakfast on the last morning. Don’t know if it came direct from the kitchen or was plated off the buffet and heated in a microwave but didn’t care at that point - just wanted a hot breakfast. Our compliant was followed up by the Guest Services Manager when we got home and dealt with well. However I’m not confident anything will change. Expected much better for a four star hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from the traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies that you found the breakfast dishes not warm enough during your stay.

As per your conversation with our Guest Relations Executive, all of our dishes are freshly prepared as required and placed in the buffet area. We also ensure that a plate warmer is used. We did not receive any similar complaints, however please be assured that your comments were highlighted to our Executive Chef and his team for their consideration. I am pleased that our team was able to accommodate your request and ensured that your dishes were hot as per your preference.

We are a stone's throw away from many of London's major attractions as well as being within walking distance of many transport links. I am glad that you found our location so convenient.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and appreciated the rich architecture of our building which we are so proud of. I do hope that you may take us up on our goodwill gesture and that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

Stockholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Clean and very elegant and old fashioned. Good service with easy check out despite long queues, they just grab your card when you wait in line and off you go! Good rooms but rahter warm. Very noisy AC. Very good but not luxary lavish breakfast buffé. I got my continental choice of breakfast, so no worries. Extremely well situated on the Picadilly line with direct access to Heathrow Airport makes for easy arrival and departure, although it takes around an hour effectively on the tube to Heathrow from Russel Square Tube Station just around the corner from the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the street as my collegues complained a bit about police sirens and suc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you had a lovely stay with us.

I am sorry to read that you found the air conditioning unit noisy. This is checked on a regular basis, however please be assured that your comments will be passed on to our maintenance team.

We have a Full English Breakfast Buffet as well as a Continental Breakfast, both which serve a wide variety of dishes to suit any palate and has proven to be extremely popular. We can also accommodate any dietary requirements if informed in advance.

We are located within walking distance of many great attractions as well as transport links including Euston Station. Russell Square tube station is situated just around the corner and the line takes you directly to Heathrow airport, which many of our guests find very beneficial and convenient.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Russell? Share your experiences!