“Location, location, location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Piccadilly

You added Le Meridien Piccadilly to your Saves list
Le Meridien Piccadilly
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Piccadilly, London W1J 0BH, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Price
Save 10% off Suites
Ranked #507 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Toronto
“Location, location, location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

It's hard to imagine a hotel with a better location in London than Le Meridien Piccadilly. It is literally half a block from Piccadilly Circus. West end shows are a five minute walk. The major attractions around the Palace are a fifteen to twenty minute walk. Everything is quickly accessible by a tube station very close by. It is tourist London, to be sure, but for a tourist the location can't be beat.

London hotels are tremendously expensive, so paying more than $300 a night does not mean you get the best room in the best hotel. It is a normal rate, and you get a pretty normal hotel.

In this case, we were lucky enough to have an upgrade, so we got a suite on the top floor made up of a nice, if small, sitting room and a reasonable bedroom. Two bathrooms was an added plus. Normal cost of the room, probably $700 or so. All of the fixtures and accoutrements of the room were very nice, but in an older style. Nothing bad, but typical European hotel style.

Reception is, as with many European hotels, small and crowded, and we were surprised to find that the check-in process took quite a bit longer than we expected. We ultimately had to wait for a couple of hours in the club lounge for our room, despite being told on checkin that it would be ready in 45 minutes. Not to worry. Those things happen, and we did arrive from our flight very early in the day.

In general, service was crisp and knowledgeable. Like many hotels, staff react to their perception of a person. When we came through the lobby dressed like slobs after a day running around town, we were treated with markedly less deference than when we came in after dinner or theatre, dressed to the nines. A little off-putting, but such a small thing that it could be ignored.

The bar in the basement is a pleasant downtown hangout, clearly popular some nights with London professionals before and after theatre. Pricey, but not unreasonable.

Two things I really didn't like.

First, the club lounge is very small, with downscale furniture and clearly insufficient space for the people eligible to use it. The food and beverage service in the club lounge also a little bit limited, plus its location overlooking the lobby is less classy than I have come to expect in Starwood hotels. Service here, as elsewhere, was competent but not really memorable. Don't pay for an upgraded room in order to get club lounge access.

Second, one of the nights we were there we were awakened in the middle of the night by a fire alarm, and had to evacuate to the lobby. That is fine. Good that everyone was brought to safety quickly, and fire alarms are a fact of life in hotels. What was less acceptable was that it took more than ninety minutes to investigate, with everyone cooling their heels in the lobby. Apparently (I'm guessing, in light of the staff and firefighters running around in apparent disarray) the hotel does not have a modern fire control system, where the firefighters can identify the source of the alarm immediately and go there. This is really not acceptable in a first class hotel, and in my view Starwood should require the hotel to rectify this situation.

I read back through this, and it seems like all I am doing is complaining. That would give the wrong impression. This is a reasonable hotel in a great location, and the next time I go to see something in the West End I'll certainly stay there again.

On the other hand, you can sense my lack of enthusiasm. Some hotels I will rave about. Not this one. A decent choice, but not in the same league as some of the others I have stayed in (and reviewed).

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor do not have direct access to the mezzanine, where the club lounge is located...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear jshepherd

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor following your stay in January with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

The location is indeed ideal for moving around London with ease to visit most major attractions, sites, shops for tourism and business.

I was pleased to learn that on the whole you had enjoyable stay with us as well as appreciating your upgrade to a well-appointed junior suite. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced. Whilst our associates do their utmost to guarantee a speedy check in, sometimes waiting time may occur during busy periods.

Please be assured that our fire alarm system is very modern and our fire panel shows exactly where any fire is located, only Fire Brigade have to give the all the clear before guest may return to their bedrooms. Furthermore the safety of our guests and associates is paramount to us and our emergency procedures are constantly reviewed with the local fire authorities to ensure that the Hotel is in complete compliance with the United Kingdom Fire Regulations.

We do hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very good hotel in good location. We had a SPG Club room which was of a nice design and spacious, and the internet connection worked very well.
The Club lounge is also very nice and good with all that ones requires. There is also a large gym and a pool with a lifeguard.

The only downside was the bathroom which was perfectly adequate but could have been a bit more modern and glamourous. It let the room down a bit, since the room was very nice and newly designed/refurbished. But for a couple of days it was fine.

Room Tip: I had a SPG Club room which is more spacious and is probably worth getting if there is a good rate a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mitch B

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for posting your constructive feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

The location is indeed ideal being situated in the heart of London’s West End. It was marvellous to learn that you appreciated the Hotel’s facilities, especially the comfort of your well-appointed room.

Indeed booking a Club Room not only ensures one of our most spacious rooms but also includes free access to our Club Lounge with complimentary continental breakfast, evening hors d’oeuvres, free Wi-Fi and complimentary pressing of two items of clothing.

Thank you again for your favourable review and we very much look forward to welcoming you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The key to this hotel is its location.
The quality of the rooms varies and I sympathize with folks who get stuck with a tiny cell. I think investing in a Starwood membership( I mean investing in the time it takes to fill out the membership as its free) because once you get status you'll definitely get a decent room. The place has an unbeatable location smack on Piccadilly Circus which allows exploration on foot and by tube anywhere you'd want to go in London.
Room prices are subject to wild swings so be prepared to hop to another place when the price goes up.. Mid week its $400+ ( when all taxes and fees kick in) but you can sometimes manage to score a room below $250. At that price its a no brainer. I've stayed here many times over the past 4 years and have yo-yoed back and forth between here and the Park Lane as prices shifted from day to day. That sound like too much work?
It takes little time to check price per specific nights and the savings can be substantial.
It is a problem when arriving in the morning ( on a originating US flight for instance) as rooms are rarely available before 2 pm. Why hotels don't realize people who've flown all night will be irritated and jetlagged when they have to hang around is beyond me.
The bar is expensive and boring. It tries hard but I'm afraid falls short
The restaurant is uninspired and expensive.
The club lounge can get a bit frenzied with otherwise sensible looking folk engaging in a tacky, grasping scramble for free nibbles and drinks. Are those warmed up chicken wings really so desirable that you stand ready to pounce whilst they're brought out?
Its strange how Gucci bag clutching tourists seem to change when freebies are on offer.
The staff seem to suffer it all with a good natured resignation and I'd say in addition to location the staff are a key asset of the property.
Friendly and efficient.
In summary:
Great Location.
Decent rooms for central London.
Great doormen and staff.
Passable Internet ( though other reviews seem to dispute this)
Get a Starwood membership to secure a decent sized room.
Avoid the bar.
Avoid the restaurant
Don't expect a room ready when you arrive after an overnight flight.
Check the prices and book it if its under $300.
Leave it otherwise

Room Tip: Join the Starwood program
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear TAR43

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your last stay with at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel’s amazing location in the heart of London. It was great to learn that you appreciated the friendliness of our associates and I have passed on your comments to the team as everyone works very hard to make sure every guest feels special at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Our rates fluctuate and are dependent upon the time of booking and we feel that we offer good value for money. As per your comments on early check in, we are always aim to have rooms ready for any guests wishing to arrive before 3pm which is our check in time. However, if you wish a guarantee an early check in you may make a booking for the previous night. I have also noted all your other comments and my apologies that our Longitude 0°8' Bar and Terrace Grill & Bar failed to motivate you, I would stress that both the Bar and the Restaurant are very popular with our guests and locals alike.

I sincerely hope that your mixed experiences will not deter you from choosing Le Meridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London when we look forward to welcoming you back.

Geneva
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We picked this hotel because of its great location and its 5 star status. I stayed here for 5 nights. I called a day earlier to say I was coming early. I came at 10 am and the room was not ready. I was told as soon it was ready, they will call me. I hung around till 3 35 and did not hear from them. I went there only to find that my room was not ready even though the promised check in time was 3 pm. The agent had to literally fight with housekeeping to get my room ready. There was a gentleman from Switzerland who would not move from the front desk till his room was ready. He was really upset waiting there. Finally I got a room which was ready and I never understood why they did not give it to me in the first place since nobody else was waiting for the room. The best part is that I have had over 12 emails going to both the Corporate and the local hotel. Nobody can even tell me why my room was not ready and nobody seem to care. The only thing they know is to repeat like a parrot- We apologize for the inconvenience cause to you. You know they don't mean it, they have been trained to write this in all their emails. In short, it is a great location with a terrible service and two star quality rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Lars68

Thank you for your posting your review on TripAdvisor.

First and foremost please accept my apologies for your room not being ready for your arrival at the Hotel, whilst we endeavour to accommodate requests for an early check in this is not guaranteed. We understand that you were disappointed in the way your check in was handled however, your comments were fully addressed and an explanation given during your stay.

Again our sincere apologies for any delay you experienced at check in on this occasion and we trust that this does not deter you from choosing Le Meridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London. Please feel free to contact my office directly so that I may assure you of my personal attention.

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

You won't find a better location for visiting London. Right in the middle of the West End - all theaters close by - most attractions within walking distance. 1 block from the tube. Hotel is old but modern. Bathroom has 5 shower heads and water is hot. Beds were comfortable though pillows were useless. One major complaint - lack of lighting. Other than in the bathroom - I think all the bulbs were no bigger than 25 watts.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear GeneG547

Thank you for posting your review on the TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I was pleased to read that on the whole you had a very pleasant stay with us. The location of our Hotel is certainly ideal for moving around London with ease and for visiting the major attractions.

It was great to learn that you appreciated the Hotel’s facilities especially your well appointed room though I am sorry that you found the pillows were not confortable for you. I am pleased to advise that the LCD lights in the bathroom are equivalent to 50 watts, my apologies if you found this too dim.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and for posting your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed for two nights for a short stay to do a show and some general touristy stuff centred around Picadilly.

First bad thing.....Parking. There isn't any, and there isn't room to enough park and drop on the front on a very busy Thursday afternoon. Nearest public car park is about 400 metres away, which is fine in good weather and only one bag!

Second bad thing....Cocktails. Very expensive. About £15 each for your run of the mill Bloody Mary.

Third bad thing......Breakfast pricing. Do try and get an inclusive rate, it's astonishingly expensive for sausage and egg.

Fourth bad thing....Rooms. Even though they upgraded us to a slightly better room, views overlooking air conditioning units still irk me, but that's not really the bad thing. They're all a bit tired, the windows need replacing, the bathrooms are very small and the pipework leaks. The TV audio in the bathroom doesn't work, but I can't remember the last hotel I stayed in where it did work! The bed and pillows however, were excellent. The rooms overall need a bit of a makeover.

The doormen, and staff in general were excellent.

A great location for seeing an awful lot tourist sights on foot (it's only 10-15 minutes to Covent Garden, and the same to Parliament roughly, and the tube is a two minute walk.) In the end we found we didn't use any of the additional hotel facilities as we were too busy visiting places in the city, so we might perhaps find somewhere a bit cheaper, or encourage the hotel price a basic rate less expensively but have it only include the room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear theburtonion

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.
The Hotel certainly has a privileged location within easy access of all that London has to offer. Although being located in the heart of West End parking is not an issue as there are a numerous car parks within close proximity to the Hotel.
We were disappointed that your experience did not meet our own high expectations and we aim to provide a good value, personalised service to all our guests.
I sincerely hope that your mixed experiences will not deter you from choosing Le Meridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London. Please feel free to contact my office to assist you with a room allocation on your next stay.

Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Currently three days in to a 7 night stay and these are my observations so far. While a nice hotel I will most likely not stay here again and will give my business to Hilton or another larger chain. I am traveling with family but am also here for business.

PROS:
Convenient location to the tube.

Prime location to shopping & attractions

Comfortable rooms - would advise getting one with two double beds rather than twins.

Good breakfast - our room came with a full English breakfast each day in the restaurant (not the club lounge breakfast). One can have the buffet or order off of the menu. The buffet has a nice variety, items are very fresh and the items we have tried have been very tasty.

CONS:
Internet is shaky at best. I am sorry but when I am traveling I need a sturdy internet connection; the connection here drops every 2 to 3 minutes requiring me to have to sign in over and over. Calls to tech support proved to be fruitless.

Room key system is rubbish. Every single night we have had to go down and have our keys reprogrammed as they have stopped working. We have been indignantly told this is our fault and we are demagnetizing them. Putting a room key in my wallet with nothing more than cash and credit cards should not demagnetize them. This has happened to every member of our party. This indicates to us that the issue is with the key or room locks - not with us.

Older members of the Concierge staff are extremely helpful; younger staff members are completely unhelpful, come off as extremely rude and act as though it is an offense that you have asked them to perform a function of their job.

Room Tip: Get a room with two doubles rather than twins.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Jemiaule

Thank you for posting your comments in the TripAdvisor regarding your current stay with us.
I am truly sorry to learn that you have been experiencing some issues with the internet and room keys. As you are currently in house I would appreciate it if you would contact me at the Executive Office so that we may have the opportunity to address the issues raised and to ensure that the remainder of your stay is comfortable.

I look forward to either speaking or meeting with you during your stay.

Best regards
Oscar del Campo

Been to Le Meridien Piccadilly? Share your experiences!