“Missing that 5* Touch” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Waldorf Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Waldorf Hilton to your Saves list
The Waldorf Hilton
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Aldwych, London WC2B 4DD, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - From £196
Ranked #364 of 1,075 hotels in London
“Missing that 5* Touch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed one night over Easter in a Deluxe Queen room which was one of the newly refurbished rooms and we were happy with the layout and decor although there was something missing considering this is a 5 star hotel. This 'something missing' thing seems to continue all over the hotel which, in fairness, is undergoing a refurbishment. We decided to pop to the pool for a quick swim a couple of hours before dinner and I have to say I was quite shocked at the state of the swimming pool which is by far the most needy part of the Waldorf and this should be addressed ASAP with regards to a refurbishment - it is not cheap to stay at this hotel yet the swimming area is worse than many local authority pools (which are quite luxurious in comparison). This was a big dissapointment for me as I always look forward to relaxing in a jacuzzi (there is none at the Walfdorf) and having a swim but it was so depressing that hubby and I made a swift exit. My other gripe with the spa/leisure area is the LA Fitness gym which is part of the hotel and you obtain towels/locker keys from their reception before using the pool. I felt that LA Fitness let the hotel down in general. Also, the music that was being pumped into the pool area was TERRIBLE and I assumed this was coming from the stereo in the gym. I have been a member of gyms situated in 5 star hotels in the past and know first hand that the guest/public policy can work and adhere to 5* standards - the gym at the Waldorf does not.
We ate dinner in the Homage Grand Salon which was good, nice food and nice staff. Breakfast was lovely; nothing but good things to say about the breakfast.

Room Tip: I would definately ask for one of the refurbished rooms.

1,539 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Greek first
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Waldorf Hilton in London three times over the past while.

Each visit has had problems that I would consider unacceptable in any hotel, for a property with the calibre and reputation of The Waldorf it is downright shocking! I had tears in my eyes at one stage, I couldn't believe that a hotel had the power to ruin a holiday but The Waldorf managed to destroy our vacation.

I have stayed at 100's of locations around the world, from the worlds finest 5 star hotels to low budget hotels, and unfortunately the Hilton Waldorf Astoria is one of the most disappointing hotel experiences I've ever had.

By right, I should be writing 3 Tripadvisor reviews, each with 1 star, however it would be unfair to damage the hotels Tripadvisor rankings, so I am putting all three experiences into this review.

1/ NOVEMBER 2012
We arrived to check into the hotel at 2.40pm, the lobby was jam packed, to the point of chaos, people were crammed into the small space. I waited over 25 minutes before getting to speak to a check-in agent. At 3.05pm I was told my room was not ready and could I come back in an hour. The advertised check in time was 3pm, so I was very surprised at no room availability. I asked could I wait for my room in the executive lounge, being a Hilton Honors Gold Card member I didn't expect this to be a problem, however I was told No. It took some pleading, which was most embarrassing to finally be allowed access the lounge so I could check my work emails.

The time ticked on, 4pm still no room, 4.30pm still no room, when I went back to reception I was told there was a staff change over and they didn't know I was waiting. So I waited some more, 5pm still no room, at 5.30pm after waiting around for 2 and a half hours I asked for a manager. The manager apologized and said he'd arrange for housekeeping to sort my room out next.

I eventually got to my room after 5.45pm, this resulted in us missing a dinner reservation and being late for a show at the West-End, essentially ruining our entire visit to London!

Anyway, finally we were in the room - here's our experience of the room.

* The room was tiny, not what I had expected at all. I mentioned on check-out that I thought we had an upgraded room and was told this was one of the upgraded rooms. Very surprising.

* The Television didn't work - we just had static on the screen for the entire trip.

* There was just 1 robe and slippers for 2 people to share.
* The water was COLD at 7.45pm, meaning we had to have cold showers in the evening.

* When phoning reception in the evening it took longer than 5 minutes for an answer.

* The bathroom was missing basic essentials, such as facecloths.

* Got phone call at 11.50am from housekeeping reminding me to check out at 12,
The advertised check out is at 12 not 11.50 - I've never got a reminder to get out like this from any hotel, not even a 2 star hotel.

* Letter posted under the door, welcoming me to the Waldorf Hilton,
it promised as a Gold Member I would receive
a complimentary bottle of water - I didn't
Complimentary internet access - Just for 1 device, my phone - it would not work for my laptop
Complimentary newspaper - Never got any newspapers

* For the first time in my entire life I wanted to complain when checking out, I spoke to a guest services agent who offered me a discount if I stayed with them again, so I booked two trips for March 2013 to try the Waldorf Hilton again.

2/ MARCH 1st 2013
We arrived to the lobby which once again was chaotic, this time a hotel guest was shouting at a staff member, no idea what it was about but it didn't look good.

* It was unfortunate that our trip coincided with a rather rowdy wedding reception at the hotel. We were greeted at the hotel by guests from the wedding walking through the lobby and the bar in no clothes, just a skimpy pink robe, like something from 'Jersey Shore' or 'The only way is Essex'.

* The wedding reception really took over the hotel, They had loud music playing until 1am - 2am. The LOUD dance music echoed through our room, keeping us awake. It was like something you'd find in a bustling nightclub not a five star hotel.

* Housekeeping knocked on our door very early the next morning, even though do not disturb was clearly displayed. We also had a bizarre call from guest services, who just kept saying 'baby cot now', 'baby cot now'. So we got such a bad nights sleep, with a late night DJ and early morning housekeeping.

* When heading out on our final evening, we requested a late check out so I could maybe indulge in a few drinks, however I was denied a late check out, When I said I was a gold member I was told to call back early the next morning, which involved having to set an early wake-up call, defeating the purpose of a late check out.

3/ MARCH 7th 2013
My final stay at The Walforf was going ok, there were problems connecting more than one device to their internet, but sadly that appears to be an ongoing issue at this hotel but it isn't supposed to be a business hotel so that is forgivable.

My problems lie with checking out,
I requested a late check-out, one of the Hilton gold member perks, I was told I could have 1 hour extra until 1pm, which was fine.

After 45 minutes, the door bell of my room was aggressively buzzed and a suited gentleman told me that he "was sent to check on my room to make sure I was leaving". Slightly shocked by his abruptness I explained hat I had requested a late check-out from reception and would be leaving very shortly and he said "its almost 1 and I needed to go".

I felt rather embarrassed by the situation and felt I was doing something wrong. Luckily I was packed and ready to go but I was quite alarmed by the method used. I felt a phone call might have even been less intrusive than the abrupt visit I had to my room.

SUMMARY
I probably should have written three different reviews, rather than this long review. I doubt anyone will have even read this far, but I felt I had to get my 3 bad experiences off my chest.

I didn't even mention some of the more petty things, I fear I've ranted enough already.

I have stayed at every single Hilton property in London at some stage and this is the only one I had a bad experience in. Make that 3 bad experiences, I'm not sure how this is even possible.

I really enjoy the Hilton brand but my stay at this location has really made me reconsider my loyalty.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nader N, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your stay at The Waldorf Hilton. I was most concerned to learn of your disappointing experience during your stay with us and I would very much appreciate to further discuss with you the details of your feedback.

Please kindly contact me on 0207 836 2400 to discuss the matter further.

Regards,
Nader Neishabouri
Guest Relations Manager
Jyvaskyla, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Walford is located in the theater district of London, so if you love musicals, it's a great spot. Most central London attractions are also within reasonable distance. Some of the rooms are renovated, and at least some renovation is on-going.
We had been promised two interconnecting rooms for our family, but upon arrival we were offered two separate rooms. There was quite a hassle to sort this out, and we were downgraded to smaller rooms to have the interconnecting door.
Breakfast was great; good selection of food and lovely old-style breakfast room.
Hotel has a gym with many exercise machines, but terribly loud music. Swimming pool is a nice plus!
Many staff members are friendly and helpful, but small quirks happened as well. For instance; I room was not cleaned at all during our first day, I had to call housekeeping.
All in all, hotel seems to have its strengths and weaknesses. How you rate it depends on what you appreciate. We had a fairly nice stay, but with some mishaps as well. Upon checking out, the service manager recognized the room downgrading, so we were treated fairly.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had booked afternoon tea at the Waldorf as a surprise for a friends special birthday. The service was appalling we sat at our table for 40 minutes and then had to get up and ask someone if we were going to be served. The sandwiches were of very poor quality. We had to ask for more of everything. No one came over and asked if everything was OK with us. All in all very disappointing, We will not be returning. It is certainly not the hotel it was years ago.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Elko, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The room was so comfortable. I was on a marathon trip and didn't want to leave the room due to it's size and amenities. The hotel is near numerous theaters, clubs, pubs, restaurants, and offers an amazing afternoon tea. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel has quite a history but do not allow this to sway you into the need to stay there. While the hotel exterior is architecturally beautiful, its where the pleasurable experience ends, in my opinion.

In defense of the hotel, the staff was superior, in friendliness, professionalism and desire to serve. Unfortunately, the meat of the hotel, meaning the rooms, food and beverage experience is far inferior to the actual staff who serve.

The rooms are ridiculously small and according to the front desk, there are so many room variances they too do not know which rooms are what as they hand them out at check-in. Meaning, while you may have an "King Executive Plus" room, there are just too many styles of rooms for them to know what your individual room has within. With that said, as in most old hotels the rooms are remarkably tiny. In fact, too small to house you, your wife and all the luggage and toiletries one would take for a European jaunt. There was no ironing board but there was an iron. There were no chest of drawers but there was a night stand with two drawers. The TV in the room did have sufficient tv selections, inclusive of Fox News Channel. The bathroom amenities were the same as the Domestic Hiltons, though one would expect something more staying at this particular property.

Be aware, I had made 2 luncheon appointments to take place at the Waldorf for business purposes prior to my arrival. Imagine my surprise to learn there is NO restaurant option for lunch except in Summer time, though their website says nothing of that situation, and in-house they advertise their restaurants for all meals. Very disappointing.

There was an inordinate number of staff around the property at all times, which I found to be a positive. However, for the price and room quality I strongly suggest the consideration of another property within the theater district instead of The Waldorf Hilton. I would anticipate a savvy traveler would be disappointed in this property.

Room Tip: I would choose another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kilburn, Derbyshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here over Easter weekend this year and felt instantly at ease. The standard and service in the hotel was exactly what you would expect. The staff were friendly and professional, courteous and welcoming. The breakfast was excellent and rooms clean and modern. There was a lovely extra touch for children on Easter morning consisting of an Easter egg hunt with certificates and prizes. The hotel is perfectly placed for the theatres, with Leicester Square being only a few minutes walk away. We will definately stay here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Waldorf Hilton? Share your experiences!