“Great location for theatreland” 4 of 5 stars

Book Direct Offer
Ranked #442 of 1,049 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bucks
“Great location for theatreland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Overall a lovely stay. Amazed how well sound proofed the windows were from the very busy and noisy street below. One gripe is that our room was clearly set up for a single (business) traveller which was less ideal for a couple - no door to the bathroom (though a door to the toilet) and no separate light for the loo, so a middle of the night comfort trip either had to be in complete darkness (great blackout blinds!) or by turning on a light and waking up the other half. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Location brilliant for theatres and Covent Garden area. For a central London location the room was a reasonable size.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandra G, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us.
I would like to note that we do have different room styles in our hotel and that not all our rooms have glass wall separating bathroom from the bedroom. We do apologise that your preference to a more traditional room was not established upon your arrival.
Please do contact me directly when making your next reservation and I will make sure that newly refurbished room is allocated for your stay.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Greek first
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a great location minutes from Covent Garden, easily walkable to Covent Garden, Leicester Square and Trafalgar Square. The rooms are pretty small like most London Hotels and a double bed more the norm than king size. Bathrooms a bit tired and shabby. It was my birthday and they kindly put a cake in my room which was a nice touch.
Had a few drinks in the bar in the evening which was very classy and civilised although prices unsurprisingly are steep as is a high end hotel. Breakfast was ok albeit a little chaotic as it was very busy when we came down to eat. I would only recommend this property if you get a good price, it's not really worth shelling out top dollar for.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your valuable comments following your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton.

We were very saddened to hear of your breakfast experience which usually we are very proud of. Please rest assured that our management team is following it up to make sure that similar experiences do not happen again. However we were happy to hear that some other aspects of your stay were very enjoyable.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback that helps us to monitor and improve our standards. Please do contact me directly for your future reservations so I could make sure you have seamless experience.

Kind regards,

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Hotel is nice but service is very poor.

If you don't expect concierge services and don't need assistance on reservations of any sort, this hotel is o.k. Nice location. But, if you do require help with theatre books, tours or dinner reservations or anything that requires a competent concierge, stay elsewhere.

Many staff didn't seem to understand London and many didn't speak or understand English very well which is quite odd for a concierge in England. Two members of staff told me that they were unaware of any tours to Paris. However, I discovered on my own that there are many daily day trips to Paris; trips that pick up right near this hotel.

As that goof was at the beginning of my trip, I thought perhaps it was an aberration and a few days later I called the desk and asked them to make me reservations for Thanksgiving dinner. They called me back about 20 minutes later and told me that the restaurant that I had chosen did not take reservations under 8 people but that we would be fine if we arrived early. I found this surprising as the restaurants in London that serve Thanksgiving dinner do typically get booked early so I asked him if he was sure. He said yes and I believed that because this wasn't a particularly fancy restaurant.

To be safe, my husband and I arrived at 1800 (walking quite a distance in the cold) just to find out that the restaurant did indeed require reservations for Thanksgiving and they were fully booked. We could have walked in to get their regular menu but Thanksgiving course was fully booked. Clearly, the Hilton concierge staff member was not thorough enough in his initial phone call to the restaurant even though I had specifically told him that wanted to book for Thanksgiving dinner. We had been looking forward to a traditional Thanksgiving meal for weeks and at that point were unable to find a restaurant serving Thanksgiving dinner that could accommodate us at the last minute. It was extremely disappointing.

Two easy concierge tasks; tours and dinner reservations - failed.

Dear Paula,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with other customers.
We very saddened to hear of your experience and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for all inconvenience caused.
I believe our Head concierge has contacted your husband already to personally apologise on behalf on his team and to discuss possible compensation.
Once again I would like to thank you for such valuable feedback that helps us to monitor and improve our standards. Please do contact me directly for your future reservations so I could make sure you have seamless experience.

Kind regards,

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I spent a weekend with3 my best friends at The Waldorf Hilton couple of weeks ago.
From the first moment on we were treated with such a great hospitality. Rooms were very nice and comfortable.
Breakfast was amazing and so delicious.
Special thanks to Executive lounge staff Suzanne and Michaela. They made our stay very pleasant and definitely unforgettable.
The hotel should be very proud and privileged to have such a great ladies working for them.
Thank you once again for their great service to us.

Room Tip: Pls get a room to get a lounge access and meet these very special ladies.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Juliane H, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton on TripAdvisor. We are truly humbled by your kind comments regarding our service and team. Feedback like yours truly inspires us to continuously strive for excellence in everything we do. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed our Executive Lounge managed by our passionate and professional Executive Lounge team who were delighted about your wonderful comments.

We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels next bring you to London.

With kind regards,

Juliane
Telford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the Waldorf for one night having booked an afternoon tea. The hotel is only a few hundred yards from Drury Lane (Shrek) and Lyceum Theatres (Lion King) and the Royal Opera House. Closer to the hotel are the Aldwych (Top Hat) and Novello (Mama Mia). A short walk takes you to Covent Garden and a little futher to Leicester Square. The Christmas decorations are up and add a lovely festive feel. Walking around we felt perfectly safe and never lost due to the excellent "you are here" street maps which are plentiful. In about 20 - 30 minutes you can walk to Trafalgar Square and The National Gallery, definitely worth a visit.
We dined in the Waldorf Homage restaurant which served very good food and the splendid Palm Court Room for breakfast. Breakfast was buffet style, all food cooked to a very high standard. Staff were attentive without becoming a nuisance and always helpful. If you want to eat out restaurants are plentiful.
The hotel was built in 1908 and retains many of the features of that period. A nice change from the many modern hotels around. Rooms are comfortable although the bed was a little firm. A great place to stay for this part of London.
Rooms are expensive if booked direct but prices vary greatly depending what time you book for. We booked through a local tour operator and got a fantastic deal (£127 for B&B) including coach travel from Shropshire.
All in all a great weekend in a glorious hotel from a bygone age. Long may it continue!

Room Tip: How much money have you got? There's no view to speak of but rooms on the front would show the h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandra G, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Anthony,
Thank you very much for such lovely comments. All our team is working very hard and warm words like these are the best gift we can ever get.
We will be looking forward welcoming you back in the near future.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spent three days at the Waldorf recently. Overall, it was a nice place, but being the hotel snob that I am, I would not rush to go back. So I will tell you the pros and cons.

PROS: Location is great. I used to stay in Mayfair, but int he past year or so have been stayingin the Covent Garden area and really love it. Many good little restaurants, good shopping and my favofite- close to the theaters. We were in a newly renovated room on the 4th floor. The room was quite large- with a sitting area with a sofabed and bedroom area with king sized bed. The bathroom wa also large. We asked for a room facing thecourtyard, so it was very quiet. we had access to the executive lounge and it was outstanding. Roomy, comfortable, lovely service and very nice food and ammenities.

CONS: The room. While I said it wa nice, there were two large windows in the room and one in the bathroom. The windows were frosted glass so very little light came through. The bathroom felt like a cave and I could not see to put on makeup. Who knows what I looked like when I left the hotel!

Lack of attention to detail--just the little things. There was no tourist information in the room. I went to the concierge to ask for a Time Out or Where magazine and he said they were in the room. When I said there wasn't anything he called housekeeping and was told they didn't have any. He then searched all over and found out that there were none in the hotel. To his credit, he sent someone next door to One Aldwych hotel to bring one back to me. Thank you.
There were little maintenance things that needed attention- but maybe most people wouldn't notice.

But for me the worst of all was the back breakingly hard bed. I was very surprised as Hilton Hotels generally have comfortable beds. I heard from staff that the matresses were new. Bad choice!!!!! It was so uncomfotatble for me that I would not consider staying there again. I know I am like the princess and the pea when it comes to matresses. The beds next door at One Aldwych are heaven.

Room Tip: If you need a very quiet room ask to face the courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear loyal guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your detailed experience with other travellers following your recent stay with us.
We are glad you enjoyed your time with us. All of us here at the Waldorf strive to provide excellent service and to exceed our guests’ expectations. Your comments will help us to grow and improve.
We hope to see you back again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Waldorf Hilton and had an absolutely wonderful stay! The hotel is located in a fantastic neighborhood- 10-20 min. walk from major historical sites and also several minutes from theatres, cafes, restaurants, bistros, and the like. In terms of the hotel, the rooms were modern with full amenities. I received a complimentary upgrade to an execuctive level room with access to the lounge. This hotel has one of the finest lounges I've ever visited. Generous food/canapes/drinks with an intimate setting. I highly recommend the Waldorf!

Room Tip: Request a higher level room- slightly quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Mike,
We can’t thank you enough for your wonderful words about our hotel. It was such a pleasure to see that you have taken your time to share even smallest details with other travellers.
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Waldorf Hilton? Share your experiences!