“Cute boutique hotel in the middle of everything!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Piccadilly

You added Thistle Piccadilly to your Saves list
Thistle Piccadilly
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Coventry Street, London W1D 6BZ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #169 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Northbrook, Illinois
“Cute boutique hotel in the middle of everything!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We were welcomed by Elizabeth at the front desk when we arrived very early in the morning (around 9:30am) and she was very accommodating and we asked if we could check in earlier and she found us a room and we were able to take a quick nap after our long flight from Chicago. It was my husband and my first time in London and we were warned that the hotels were small and although it was, the room was quaint and modern. It has the necessities you need. We were there for two nights.

The hotel is less than two blocks from the center of Piccadilly Circus so you are close to eateries and shopping. We stay on a Friday and Saturday night. We left the hotel around 4am early Sunday morning because our flight was so early and there was quite a bit of commotion and drunks outside coming out of bars and clubs, so I probably wouldn't recommend for families. Our driver said it's always like that on weekends and it's nothing new.

The only other thing I didn't like was the temperature of the shower would come and go. Warm, hot, cold, etc. One night, I felt like I had to rush because the water temperature was so cold and wasn't warming up. Not sure if it's a hotel problem or if it is a London problem.

Overall, this was a nice hotel for the two nights we had in London. It is accessible and staff was friendly. Trafalgar Square is close by. There's a Pret a Manger right next door, as well as another coffee shop accessible through the lobby :)

Room Tip: There is an iron and a blow dryer, but you have to look for it in the closet. I went the first day...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMThistle2012, General Manager at Thistle Piccadilly, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Mara C

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff friendly. We are located right in the heart of the West End so there is still a vibrant atmosphere if you are outside at 4am on a Sunday morning, although this part of town is extremely safe and welcoming to families. Please accept my apologies on the varying temperature of your shower and the inconvenience this caused. We have today inspected all our shower units and water mixes to make sure they are working correctly. Thank you again for your feedback.

Kindest regards

Richard O'Riordan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We traveled from Scotland to London to see shows. We booked the Thistle because it is so central to everything theater. Access to the hotel is so easy. We didn't have a car, so public transport is necessary, and a day ticket is essential if you want to travel around London. £8.20ish allows you to use any bus, train and underground all day. We were welcomed at the front desk and was told of all the things we needed to know for a great stay. Our room was comfortable with all the amenities to hand. The bed was clean, but I did notice some staining on the carpet, which I'm sure wasn't dangerous, but unsightly all the same. London is a busy place and very noisy. The room was quiet but only if the bathroom door was closed as the bathroom window wasn't double gazed. No big deal, we slept soundly. Breakfast was a help yourself affair but the food was great and lots of it. Staff members were friendly and polite. I would recommend this hotel, especially if you want to be in the middle, of everything.

Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed in room 111 for 1 night . The hotel is in an excellent location for west end shows we only had a 3 minute walk to Piccadilly theatre. All the staff were extremely friendly and considering hotel in middle of west end it was extremely quiet. Didn't reckon much on the full English breakfast as was a bit bland and not very hot but our evening meal was excellent and priced reasonably. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again without doubt. They even looked after our bags on check out so we could go shopping for the day

Isle of Sheppey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Amazing location, Regents, Oxford Street, Soho, Leicester Square all on your doorstep. Fantastic value for money. Brilliant, friendly staff. Reception staff very attentive mentioned on check-in staying the night to celebrate my birthday, on return from our night back to the room, a card and a box of chocolates was left which was a nice touch and unexpected. Would definately stay again.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed one night B&B on business mid week. Very comfortable and well appointed room with a great breakfast. Ideal location for business or pleasure right in the heart of the West End of London. Good value for the location and will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Newcastle Upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed in room 706 on Sunday 16th March visiting friends. The hotel greeting was exceptional as was the room and the views from it. The quality was superb throughout and i was well looked after by all the staff there. The breakfast was high quality and well served. I can highly recommend this hotel and a pleasure to stay there.

Room Tip: Cant fault room 706, amazing bed for comfort, great tv and wonderful bathroom faciities. The views o...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Ah, the Thistle, your either going to love it or hate it. This was my first stay traveling from the US for 1 week in London. The front desk staff were very pleasant, and the hotel is very nice, but if i'm going to be honest, it feels almost like a high end hostel. The Hotel is very VERY SMALL, and the entrance is on a side street that makes it look less than desirable. I was contacted by the "relations manager" prior to arrival and the customer service was great, I was even given an upgrade to a room with a bathtub as some do not have one. I arrived feeling exhausted and jet lagged, and the first thing I did was turn on a show which was rainfall (AMAZING)...that being said, it creates a tremendous amount of steam, and with the room being very small, and the fire detector right outside the bathroom, after 2 mins of the shower running with the door open, the fire alarm went off and they evacuated the entire hotel....I had to put my clothes back on, walk outside, and wait while the fFire Dept cleared the hotel...I was appalled...I was told that the fire alarms were overly "sensitive" and not to worry, but I was terrified to shower the rest of my stay! The bathroom is about the size of a closet, and theres no shower curtain, so the rainfall shower floods, and I mean FLOODS, the entire bathroom every time you shower....Theres only one towel in the room as well, so how are you to mop up the mess? With the small hand towel...which doesn't work...a nightmare... You'll find no pool, no spa, no fitness center, no ice machine, no vending machines, or any other services normally offered by a hotel here. You will find an over priced restaurant however that does offer room service, the menu states " fresh fried fish sandwich on french baguette with chips....the food arrives tasting like fish sticks and were on wheat sliced bread.....with no ketchup or condiments....not the best for 35 pounds = about 50 dollars! That being said, the staff were always very pleasant, the room was very comfortable for one person, and the bed...oh the bed, I could have stayed in it for the rest of my life! Overall, not a terrible experience, probably wont stay here again but it could have been much worse.

Room Tip: The noise on the 7th floor was definitely noticeable, but not terrible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Thistle Piccadilly? Share your experiences!