“What a nice surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #179 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Austin
“What a nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the last 3 years. But it has been about 9 months since the last time. I have written a few reviews about this hotel which all seem to have disappeared, but long story short I was never a fan. The building was old, staff was rude and the turnover rate was so high that you always had to deal with people that are "in training".

I was very surprised to walk in last week and recognize both people working behind the desk. Service was efficient and very friendly. Way above average.

Rooms have been remodeled and updated. It was a very nice stay, and I am looking forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Dont bother with the free WIFI.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just as as you would expect. Good Hotel, all staff friendly and very helpful.
We only used the restaurant for the buffet style breakfast which had plenty
of variety as well as the availability to request your own particular breakfast choice.

Five minutes walk to Angel Tube station and only one stop from Kings Cross which makes for easy access to central London.
Surrounded by a myriad of restaurants, bars and takeaways with local shops and a Sainsburys close by.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Vincent H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Islington, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for sharing your thoughts of the hotel. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the hotel, staff and breakfast as well as the location and surroundings.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Vincent Harewood
Guest Relations Manager
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Horrendous checking in experience…but that wasn’t the whole story :(

My wife and I had invested a lot of time and effort to plan this vacation. It was to be my first time in England she had been there previously. We fly standby so we have to plan accordingly. Our reason to go to England was to attend the Cowboys game at Webley we are season ticket holders and this was an awesome opportunity for us. We made our reservation anticipating that we might not make the first available flight but to our surprise we did make it arriving in London in the early morning on November 5, 2014. Our cab ride to the hotel was great it was a Mercedes Benz van. Very comfortable and we got to see some of the city on our way to this hotel.

We arrived at our hotel mid-morning 10:30 or so. I noticed that they had a Hilton Honors section so I went there to check in with my Hilton Honors card in hand. Elda waived me over to the other side of the counter I showed her my Hilton Honors card and she proceeded to look up my reservation. My wife was sitting in the lounge with all of our luggage. We were both pretty tired from our long flight from Texas. Elda said that our room was not ready and it was understandable since we were there so early. I requested an early check in and she said that our room would be ready at 11:30. So I went and joined my wife in the lobby area to wait for our room.

While we were waiting I noticed that the Honors desk was now being manned and that people were checking in. I didn’t think much of it at the time since I was so tired and was just happy that everything had gone so well so far. The staff could clearly see us waiting as we were straight across the counter and within ear shot. When 11:30 came up I went to check with Elda and she informed me that our room was still NOT ready. She said that maybe at 12:30. So I went back to where I was to wait. I then started to get angry because there was a constant stream of guest checking in at the Honors desk as well as the regular desk.

Several of the staff probably aware of our situation would glance in my direction nervously. Well, 12:30 came and went and they were not civil enough to call us over or come to tell us that our room was still NOT ready. By this time I was fuming and I was expecting some kind of empathy from ANYONE on the staff. Nothing doing no one came. I went to the counter again at around 12:45. The young lady I’m sure was aware we had been waiting and were not happy. She checked again and again I was told that our room still was NOT ready. I consider myself to be a reasonable person but it has been now 2 hours waiting and they can’t get a room ready in 2 hours??? Totally unacceptable. No explanation was given either of why our room was still not read after 2 hours. Yet still there were guest checking in on the Hilton Honors desk.

For the record every time I spoke to the staff I was never rude nor demanding. My frustration may have showed in my expressions but I did not outwardly make a scene. I returned to sit with my wife again and I was determined to wait there until a staff member would come to speak to us. I was expecting a manager to intervene in our behalf. This never happened. And yet the Hilton Honors desk kept checking guests in.

Sometime later my wife went to check again and after she spoke to the staff she made some headway and we eventually got our room. It was now around 2 in the afternoon. So it was a three and a half our wait.

But wait there’s more….

That evening while my wife was in the bathtub (we specifically booked this hotel because of the bathtub). She asked me to find her a washcloth. There wasn’t any. I called the front desk and asked for washcloth. It appears that no one knew what a washcloth was. All this time my wife is in the tub. Finally a front desk person shows up with a hand towel. I told him I needed a washcloth. He apologized and stated that there was no one from housekeeping there and that this was the best he could do and that this would be a “proper” size towel for the bath. My wife emphatically disagreed with him lol

At the end of our five day stay at checkout I requested a manager. I related this to him and he apologized and gave us a credit of 80 pounds for our troubles. It was appreciated but he never explained why we were made to wait for such an extended period of time while guest were CONTINUOSLY checked in at the Hilton Honors desk. I am writing this over a month removed from this experience and the ONLY conclusion that I can come to is that I was discriminated against. Why you ask. Well I am Hispanic and my wife is white. All of the guests that I remember checking in where…..you guessed it white. I don’t come to this conclusion lightly. But the facts are there for everyone to see. First I was not allowed to use the Hilton Honors desk to check in. Second I was denied to check in 3 times even though I was promised a room at 11:30. Third when my wife went to the counter THEN something was done. Fourth and final thought. The Manager FAILED to identify or explain to me the reason why all of this transpired when I directly asked and he was made aware of what had happened.

BTW…our experience at this hotel not withstanding we had a “PROPER” vacation our Cowboys won…we continued to Paris for the rest of our vacation our Paris hotel was AWESOME…already reviewed it ;)

I write this in the hopes that no one else gets the treatment I received and maybe… hopefully… the staff at this hotel will NOT put someone else through what I had to endure. Hope that this hotel management takes the…and there’s that word again “PROPER” action to correct this :)

That is all... :)

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is my hotel of choice when visiting London on business. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and relatively spacious by London standards, and the location is close to nightlife, restaurants, shopping, and Angel Station. The Axis bar and restaurant has a good selection for quick bits and the breakfast is always good. I stay at this hotel five or six times a year and always impressed that the staff recognizes me from previous visits - definitely a warm and welcoming place!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Holly S, General Manager at Hilton London Islington, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read we are your hotel of choice when on business. It was lovely to read that you found our Team friendly and helpful and the breakfast good.

We hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Hotel was very clean nice and frendly staff and discount parking room service 24hrs came in handy and the location was brilliant very close to everything in Central London.lots to do near by loads of restraunt on the high street would recomend this hotel

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Holly S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Islington, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was pleased to read that you liked the hotel and the room service came in handy. The hotel is in a fantastic location with everything close by.

We hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My partner and I recently stayed a night here, so we could attend a local event.

The hotel is in a very convenient location to explore the bustling area of Islington, which boasts a superb choice of restaurants and various forms of night-life.

Unlike many hotels in London, there's convenient parking available, which is discounted on the weekend (we only paid $14 to park for our stay).

The hotel is in good order and is well presented.
Check-in was OK...Not the friendliest or fastest, but OK.
(I'm not a stickler or a prima donna, but usually as an Honors Gold VIP, the check-in staff will acknowledge this and go through the various VIP perks at the hotel).

We were given an automatic upgrade to an executive room on the fourth floor and informed of the evening complimentary snacks and drinks and breakfast in the executive lounge.
At most Hilton properties, I'm usually offered the option of the executive continental breakfast or a full cooked breakfast in the restaurant. This was sadly not on offer at this property.

We did venture into the executive lounge (which is strangely located to the left of the check-in desk).
There was a decent selection of wine and beer, but the hors d'oeuvres were minimal and ran out without being replenished.

Our room was in very good condition indeed and well appointed.
I liked that there was a fridge and not a minibar, which allows one to store one's own drinks etc.
The bathroom again was again, in very good order and clean.
The shower was very good - Featuring an overhead rainfall head as well as a hand shower.
The water pressure was superb and possibly the best of any recent hotel I've stayed in.

One slight disappointment was the lack of welcome gift & note from management, which is usually waiting in the room for Honors VIP's.

I will also note that the bed was very hard. Both my partner and I woke up several times in the night feeling a bit achy from the unforgiving mattress.

We did eat in the hotel restaurant during our stay. The food was OK, but the wait for it was rather long, despite the restaurant being near empty.

All in all, a decent property...I'd certainly stay again if I need to be in that part of London overnight...Just a few items and details need to be looked at that would boost my rating of it.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Holly S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Islington, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed the location and found the rooms comfortable and parking convenient.

I was sorry to read of your disappointment with a few aspects of your stay. At check in we do indeed normally inform of the benefits of being gold and was sorry to read this was missed during your check in.

With regards to the breakfast as long as breakfast is your my way option on your Hilton HHonors profile, then you can choose where you eat in the morning again my apologies for this not being communicated.

I have also noted your comment regarding the Executive Lounge and Dinner service and can assure you this is not our normal level of service and improvements will be made.

Rest assured I have shared all your comments with the Management and Team to ensure we focus our attention on all the areas you mentioned and improvements are made.

We hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Colombo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Having stayed at a few Hilton's around the world, I must commend on the functionality and the service levels of this particular hotel. Very impressed with the facilities, no doubt they keep to the international standard, top location and very warm staff.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Petra C, Asst. Front Office Manager at Hilton London Islington, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you so much for this rewarding comment! It is a real pleasure to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us, our location and our fantastic staff! We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon at the Hilton Islington.

Warm Regards,

Petra Cappannari
Asst Front Office Manager

Been to Hilton London Islington? Share your experiences!