“Great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cannizaro House

You added Cannizaro House to your Saves list
Cannizaro House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Westside, Wimbledon Common, London SW19 4UE, England (Clapham / Battersea )   |
Ranked #241 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Glasgow
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

I last visited the hotel some 18 months ago, and I can really say that it seems to have improved massively under the new ownership. The bar has been re done, and serves some fantastic cocktails, all prepared by the resident mixologists (a new word I learnt whilst I was there!). My girlfriend loved it. The room was nicely decorated and had some really fun things as well, like a pair of binoculars on the window sill for looking out into the park with! What I noticed the most since my last visit was the improvement of the quality of the service. From the moment we arrived and were taken to our room by the lovely receptionist, to when we ordered dinner in the 'common' restaurant, we were looked after so well by the staff at the hotel. I will be back again as soon as possible.

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — try the Mojito
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

Did not think much of this hotel at all. It is a great location, but overall everything about this hotel is below average. Food, rooms, service etc.! But there is not much choice if you want to stay in Wimbledon !

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Herts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

We stayed at Cannizaro House over the weekend for a wedding. The hotel were very helpful and attentive. It's a great location for a weekend getaway. My only negative comment would be their lack of attention to detail - our newspaper didn't turn up and our kettle on the widely advertised hospitality tray didn't work ... and on the Sunday after a wedding you really do want a cup of tea when you wake up! Breakfast was delicious and it makes a pleasant change when a busy hotel makes it all freshly to order rather than setting out loads of hot plates. Our room itself was on the ground floor and rather small with a window that didn't actually lock which wasn't very reassuring for security. The bathroom didn't have any windows and as a result was very dark as the light bulbs were very dim. If we went again we would request a different room. However, on the whole we would recommend the hotel as the staff are just so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

upon arriving to Cannizaro House you are blown away by the beautiful quintessitially building. Once inside the charming staff enhance the wonderful experience.

We stayed over night for two nights and adored every minute. The food was excellent, the bar is great and they serve the most delicious cocktails.

Wimbledon is lovely to go into for some light shopping. And then back to Cannizaro for dinner and cocktails. We went to the local theatre one night which was fantastic. When we came back the staff prepared us a light snack as they were worried we'd be hungry, so sweet! There was even a night cap on the pillow..Excellent, I can't wait to go back

Paphos, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2005

I recently stayed at the Cannizaro House to evaluate the Hotel and facilities for my wedding venue.

Cannizaro House has wonderful memories for me. As a child I played on Wimbledon Common and spent many days exploring the grounds of this wonderful house.

I found the Hotel to be relaxed and informal, The staff were attentive and friendly. The modern looking bar does not blend in with the existing decor, but the owners Bridgehouse Hotels are doing a wonderful job after a slapdash approach by Thistle Group the previous owners.

I have read some other negative reviews but I found that on the whole, I was very satisfied with the service. Yes, some of the rooms need a little attention details - carpets/furniture, I am sure this will be part of a maintenance programme.

The Restaurant food was excellent I cannot fault the food or service.

I am looking forwad to returning in the Spring when I can enjoy drinks on the lovely terrace and walk in the gardens.

West Sussex UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

The good news about this hotel is that it has been sold by Thistle Hotels (who ran it rather badly), and the new owners have been busy refurbishing and replacing, and restoring the place to its former glory.

If you want to be in London, but with the feel of a country house hotel, this is the place. Fronting Wimbledon Common, and with Cannizaro park at the back, it is an oasis of peace and quiet.

The hotel restaurant serves good food in formal surroundings. Five minutes walk across the common is Wimbledon Village, with plenty of restaurants, pubs and wine bars.

Free parking, but if not travelling by car it's a fairly long walk to Wimbledon tube station.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2004

I stayed there as have some friends in the area who love the place so much, they take overnight breaks there themselves! Delightful surroundings, the terrace leads down into the park, peaceful and great if like me, you like to take a stroll after breakfast. We only had breakfast at the hotel - that was delicious. The staff are friendly and try to be helpful, though a lot of them have limited English, so you may not always get what you actually asked for! Although the small things do let the place down as the previous review says, they do keep it clean. I would stay again, but mainly because I love the location and the atmosphere is very nice.

Been to Cannizaro House? Share your experiences!