“Just missing a little something” 3 of 5 stars

The Strand | The Savoy, London WC2R 0EU, England
0872 148 1762
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Thames Foyer at the Savoy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #621 of 17,998 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Sussex
“Just missing a little something”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Every now and then we treat ourselves to tea at one of the top hotels in London. We know its expensive but to us its the same as having a meal out, and always seems a bit more special.
This time we booked the Champagne Tea at the Savoy.
When we arrived our table wasn't ready so we had to wait 5 - 10 mins, sitting on a gloriously comfy sofa. There were little shops in the foyer where you could see chocolates being made that looked AMAZING!!
We were shown to our table and then had the menu explained to us....champagne then the sandwiches, tea, warm scones, pastries and then cake.....yum!!
The menu had a choice of champagne, but we weren't offered the rose, which was a bit of a shame. The sandwiches were the normal selection (cucumber, salmon, chicken ham, but the bread was a bit of a disappointment. Nothing particularly wrong - but it wasnt special. It was a bit "Hovis" and "Kingsmill"
The scones were fine, but the glaze on top had crusted and was a bit like glue. Consequently the scones didnt break easily. We had a choice of strawberry jam, which was fine, but the star was the lemon curd!! BEAUTIFUL!! tangy and great consistency.
The pastries were next. We had a selection of 6 - and we could have had as many as we liked. I tried 4!! All looked beautiful but i thought the flavour was a bit lacking. They were slightly bland.
Finally the Savoy special cakes - fruit cake, victoria sponge, and chocolate brownie. I had the fruitcake - very rich and just moist enough. A typical fruit cake - nice and heavy.
As for the tea i had Yellow Tea and then a Rose Tea ... now that was special! absolutely delicious!!
The setting is quite formal and consequently it wasnt as relaxing as some Teas we've had. I guess that on reflection i was a bit disappointed as i had high hopes. All the staff were great but it just felt a bit like a conveyor belt. There were some highs (lemon curd, Rose Tea) but i cant help feeling they could have done better.
For me The Dorchester is better...there is just a little bit more attention to detail.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
UK
“Sophisticated afternoon delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Spent a lovely Saturday afternoon here. Booked online about 6 weeks prior - had email and phone call reminders within a week of booked date.

From start to end, a lovely experience. You can check-in your coats & shopping bags at the cloakroom. The facilities (at least the ladies room) were immaculate.
We were shown to our table quickly (for 4 persons) having booked for 13:45 (on time). We chose standard afternoon tea. The waitresses looking after us were polite, courteous and at hand. Tea was topped up frequently - my tea-cup was never empty. The sandwiches were tasty - a couple were just starting to dry-out. You get the usual flavours: chicken, salmon, egg, cucumber & ham - with a slight twist. A choice of scones: plain or with currants. The 3rd course of pastries were absolutely decadent. Sadly at this point, we were quite full. On this day there was a choice of 6 pastries - we managed about 2-3 per person. They were exquisite and beautifully made. Appropriate portions too. Then come the final cake trolley. Choice today - a fruitcake, Victoria sponge and a choc cake. We felt obliged to try a slice each but had to request a sliver of a portion each (to avoid wastage). The waiter was very obliging. Again - they were delicious. As with my previous review of Brown's afternoon tea 2009 - you can request for more of each course if you have a bigger appetite. But please pace yourselves...
During this visit in Feb 2013 - the final bill, all inclusive were ~ £50 each. We spent over 2 hours there and never felt rushed. The restaurant was pretty full by the time we finished ours. There was a pianist in the centre court (bird-cage) who provided both classical and contemporary music. I note that they allowed younger customers to enjoy this lovely pastime ( all well behaved).

Once done, don't forget to linger at the upper foyer (Tea shop) - and let your eyes feast on the extensive selection of pastries & biscuits (since at this point your tummy can't cope anymore), Savoy's own blend of teas and tea accessories. Watch the pastry chef make beautiful chocolate creations (during my visit, the chef was making delicate chocolate petals for a chocolate flower).

A definite experience to be had (afternoon tea) and this one at the Savoy's was lovely. The price is comparable to other fancy restaurants serving afternoon tea in London. Would bring special loved ones or celebrate a special day here again.
Tip: Watch the booking times - make sure you are aware the time period that afternoon tea is served. If you book outside this period, you will be disappointed. The online booking does not highlight this limit.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“Lovely and light, will return for the tea.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Having spent the late-morning at Fortnum's, the English purveyor of interesting biscuits, jams, and teas, I was ready for a light early-afternoon meal, and nothing seemed better than an Escoffier omelette at the Savoy, the grande dame of London hotels.

The Savoy tea room is at the heart of the hotel in the Thames Foyer, a lovely space bathed in golden light featuring a “gilded cage” at its center with a grand piano and large oriental vases.

I ordered the original Escoffier classic, the Omelette Arnold Bennett, created by the renown chef for the English writer.

The dish arrived as a perfect round of lightly scrambled eggs topped with smoked flaked haddock, cubes of potato, a bit of spinach, and crowned with a cream sauce and fresh black pepper.

It was lovely and light, and otherwise uneventful. I did order a glass of freshly squeezed juice which arrived at my table a bit past its prime, but the restaurant swiftly removed it and replaced it with another, all compliments of the house.

An undeniably delightful setting. I will have to return sometime for the tea.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
“Best High Tea, luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been to Brown's, the Ritz, and now the Savoy for High Tea. The Savoy was definitely the best. It offers a luxurious atmosphere, very attentive service, and a delicious selection of sandwiches, pastries, and scones. The lemon curd is to die for!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
wales
“Victoria sponge cake - oophs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We attended the Savoy for my birthday afternoon tea. The Savoy, it should be said, does look beautiful after its renovation. We arrived a bit early for 5:30 and had a look at the new chocolate shop before checking in. Lovely displays of Easter eggs. We checked in and mentioned once again that we had a special dietary requirement of No fish or Egg sandwiches (this was on our original booking form - 3 months earlier!). Our coats were taken, and we were escorted to our table, it was comfortable, and warm (the only place in London that seemed to be warm this weekend!) We were introduced to our waitresses and talked through the menu, we mentioned again about the possibility of changing the egg and fish sandwiches, and our new waitress said that normally 'vegetarian' sandwiches had to be pre-ordered in, which was a different story to the staff at the desk, all a bit confusing, but it was all agreed and we did get a nice plate of sandwiches (although they still brought us 2 egg ones, which they did apologise about), the tea was lovely, and my wifes Valhrona hot chocolate was a real treat. The sandwiches were lovely, and we did ask for more of the nice chicken ones. The scones were excellent and as commented on by others both the lemon curd and the jam were very nice. The waitresses came regularly to check the warmth of the teapot and top up with hot water, and if they noticed, topped up my cup of tea from the lovely silver pots (warning - these get VERY hot). The next course the pastry course, had a selection of 6 cakes, we were told we could choose 3. We did. All of them were lovely, although it was hard to choose 3 and we were not given the option of having any more ... (I think by this stage, they were trying to get ready for the dinner service, and were gently applying pressure - lights dimmed, pianist changed over, more tables brought out and laid up - so that they could change over onto the evening menu). Similarly when the signature cakes came, 3 were presented and we got to choose ONE that we wanted. As it was my wife and I chose a different one each and shared, but we weren't offered another. The chocolate cake that I had was lovely, rich and moist with nicely balanced icing. My wifes victoria sponge was very dissapointing though, it was heavy and rather cloy. Certainly not signature! She left it, although at the price, I was not prepared to waste it and hoovered it up! We were presented the bill without asking for it, and whilst I was still eating, again, I can see why this happened, but I felt that this was a little pushy given that for most people eating at the Thames Foyer is a luxury event not to be hurried. Whilst there was really nothing to complain about, I did feel that the service, could have been bettered, and that the Victoria sponge was really not upto it. I should mention that I did not notify the Savoy that it was my birthday, perhaps had I done so I may have been allowed an additional piece of cake... we will never know. All in all the experience was a good one, but given the price I can't boost it up to excellent, as it just fell slightly short in a few areas. That said, we have enjoyed the Savoy before and think it holds up well against the competition.

• Visited March 2013