“small and convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melita House Hotel

Save Saved
You added Melita House Hotel to your Saves list
Melita House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Charlwood Street, Victoria, London SW1V 2DU, England (Victoria)   |
Ranked #662 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Moscow, Russia
“small and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

1) Melita is very conveniently located between Pimlico and Victoria. Great for everything - from Heathrow you can go directly to Victoria, just change from Picadilly line to District at Hammersmith - simply go out of the train and cross the platform. Bus 24 is 24 hours service and will take you to National gallery, Tate is 10 mins walk, etc. Great infrastructure around (shops, bars, banks, flower shops, dry cleaning etc).
2) my room and the hotel were really clean;
3) everything in the room worked well;
4) staff is super-friendly and helpful;
5) my room 48 was quiet and I slept very well.
Couple of concerns:
1) yes, no elevator - but no problem if you don't have very big luggage;
2) funny that I had breakfast smell in the room after 8 am, though not a real problem again.

Room Tip: Single room # 48 is absolutely fine, looking to the yard, quiet. The only thing is that I had breakf...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Marbella Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed at the Melita House for one night. The first very nasty surprise was that they charge an extra 5% over the booked price on your reservation unless you pay with a British debit card. If you pay with a debit card from any other country or with any credit card they charge you a full extra 5 %. A true rip off!

The second unpleasant surprise was the 10:30AM check out.
Other than that, the room was adequate and the location is very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a little hotel in Pimlico. My room in the basement was claustrophobic.

The breakfast here is very poor. They added a surcharge for use of a credit card though the agency said specifically there was none,

Staff had poor command of English and entirely spoke Russian between themselves.

Reception is not open late.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Worthing, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family and I stayed here, never again! It was very overpriced and the breakfast was awful.
I think £180.00 for one room for one night with possibly the worst hotel breakfast we have had was very steep, the managers response was that breakfast was complimentary so basically I had no right to complain about it.
The dining room was so disorganised in the morning and they have crammed too many tables into a very small space.
There were no tea or coffee facilities in the bedroom although you do have the option of spending a lot of money in the overpriced vending machine in the dining room.
We have stayed in lots of hotels in London and all have been better than this one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here for my birthday because the surrounding streets were old haunts of the artist, Aubrey Beardsley, someone I am very interested in and so the location was great for exploring his old houses and the church he attended.
We arrived on the wrong dates by accident and the staff were only too happy to sort us out with a room even though they weren't expecting us.
The hotel itself was very cosy and inviting, our room was lovely and from our window we could see the street (very decorative and Victorian).
The hotel is only walking distance (15 minute walk if that) from Victoria and so it was easy for us to hop on a bus or the underground. We felt safe walking about at night and the surrounding area was peaceful given that we were staying in the heart of london.
Breakfast was basic but enjoyable.
A nice little hotel if you want something relatively cheap for London prices and don't want to stay in the chain hotels.

Room Tip: We had the downstairs room next to the social areas and so if you were wanting to sleep late you mig...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights as we were going to see a show and needed a good not too expensive place to stay. After searching numerous other hotels of varying ratings we decided to take a chance on this hotel, I must say what an excellent choice we made. The hotel is in an ideal position for exploring London, most of the "Touristy" places were well within walking distance. Accommodation wise, the hotel is very clean, our room although not huge, was of a good size for a double room. It may be a bit of a squeeze if the fold up bed was needed to be used, at the end of the day you only need the room to sleep in. The room was very clean and smelled nice and fresh. Check in was quick and easy with the young gentleman on reception who was very happy to answer all our questions. The only two things that I would say that let the hotel down was, the size of the bath towels, (could do with being bath sheets, having said that, they were changed every day), secondly, the size of the breakfast...perhaps larger portions could be served. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants good value for money accommodation. I would have no hesitation in staying here again if I was to be visiting London. Don't waste your money on the large chain hotels...most of whom don't even include breakfast!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RobG661, Manager at Melita House Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review. We really appreciate you taking the time and effort to appreciate what we do. We look forward to seeing you again !
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel with my mum whilst visiting London for an event. I must say this hotel is better than stated on the Internet. We arrived here early and they let us in our room with no issues check was so fast and easily done. Rooms aren't ginormous but they are what you would expect! I can't believe how clean the hotel was I have to say they really do look after it. The furniture isn't extremely modern but it's very chic looking which was nice. They have a vending machine in reception for people who want tea/coffee etc which is good but for breakfast you get tea/coffee and a selection of things for breakfast. We had a English breakfast which was piled on your plate but it was a reasonable size and it taste lovely!! We found our deal on travel zoo for 115 inc breakfast. I must say for location and quality I am happy where I have spent my money. Previously I stated at the Blair Victoria hotel and paid 95 pound and that was an absolute dump I hope nobody ever stays there it was the dirtiest hotel I have ever been to!!! I think anyone who leaves bad feedback on this hotel need to lower their standards if you want a posh hotel you will not find one in London for this price haha! Well done Melita... I will definitely come here every time I come to London in the future! :-)

• Stayed August 2013
RobG661, Owner at Melita House Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We are truly grateful for this review. It is particularly of value because you have obviously reviewed us in the context of the competition and , unlike some reviewers have a handle on value for money in the London market. We are here to please the guest and your feedback encourages us to carry on doing our best to achieve guest satisfaction ! Thank you.

Been to Melita House Hotel? Share your experiences!