“Having trouble with your booking, you see we have 2 Jennifer's tonight” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington West Hotel

You added Kensington West Hotel to your Saves list
Kensington West Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Matheson Road,, London W14 8SN, England (Formerly Aston Court Hotel)   |
Ranked #693 of 1,065 Hotels in London
harrogate
“Having trouble with your booking, you see we have 2 Jennifer's tonight”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

I've never had a hotel stay that so exactly matched the Trip Advisor reviews!

We checked in at 2300 after a show, and they had trouble finding out pre-paid lastminute.com booking. The excuse: "We have 2 Jennifer's staying here tonight, and we don't know which room has been given to the other Jennifer who checked in earlier." The clerk had to go find a room that was unoccupied to give us, and they had us register using the other Jennifer's card. I crossed out every piece of info that didn't match mine, just to be safe, and didn't sign the part saying I'd be liable for charges.

When we got to our room, there were no towels, but my partner went back down to the desk, and quickly got some. The key never did work, we just knocked and let each other in. The noise from outside wasn't bad, even after bars closed, but any voice in the hallway seemed to be amplified and played louder right in our room. The fire alarm went off once, and we ignored it.

However.......the room was sufficiently clean for me, with no smells or bed bugs. The ensuite was also clean, and not as small as others I've stayed in. The shower was hot with good water pressure. As a place to stay between 2300 and 0900 it fit the bill.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Stockholm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Rooms the size of prison cells, breakfast containing only Corn Flakes and milk (?!), the smell, keys not working, unsafe location during nighttime, no change of towels or sheets ( we stayed there for three nights and had to share the same two towels the entire time) and not so nice employees.

I would really reconsider staying here..

Oh and bye the way. I forgot my brand new glasses there and have repeatedly asked them to send them to me (i live in sweden) but they never answer emails unless its regarding booking.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We arrived at the hotel at 8pm after attending an all day music festival to be told that our reservation had been cancelled because our payment had not gone through. We had reserved the room on our credit card which unfortunately got stolen during the trip so we had to cancel the card. We had thought that the room was prepaid but when we got there the staff said that they had tried to process the payment that morning and given the card had been blocked, they cancelled our reservation. No-one at the hotel tried to call us to see whether we had another credit card or could make alternative payment arrangements, they just cancelled it without notification, The guy at the desk told us he had emailed us to let us know the room had been cancelled (he hadn't, and even if he had, who checks their email every day when they travel?) and there were no rooms left at the hotel. He half-heartedly tried to find us another room that night in the area but I ended up finding a room myself at a Travelodge we had stayed at on our last visit to London.
We only booked this hotel because it wasn't too far from Knightsbridge where the festival was held, but I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Two rooms of people came down to complain about their rooms while we waited for the guy at the desk to find us another hotel room, and there are signs in the street outside warning people about the danger of getting burgled - we didn't see signs like this anywhere else in London. I'm actually glad we didn't stay there, but it was very stressful trying to find at hotel at 8.30 that night.
The irony is that they have a digital photo frame at the desk encouraging people to log on to tripadvisor and rate their hotel - it doesn't rate in my opinion.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
South West England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed here overnight on a business trip and would not in a million years recommend it.

First there were problems booking in as we did not have the paperwork but did have the credit card.

Next we were given a key for a family room when we booked two triples. We were then given the family room which by all accounts was ok and a triple which was not.

As soon as we walked in the smell of mould hit us and on opening the portaloo, sorry bathroom, door the smell of urine which did not go away when flushing but got worse.

We went back to complain and the receptionists could not even get into our room and once he did he sprayed something to cover the smell.

We decided to stay in there and put the shower on to warm up, on opening the door the fire alarm went off.
The receptionists came to our room and we explained what had happened and he locked our door whilst it was open and said that we could not close it until we went out, so we had to get changed with our door not completely closed.

Later that night on returning from having a meal the smell was back.

We have since returned home with small insect bites and have contacted the hotel but with no response.

This is the worst stay I have ever had - budget should not mean dirty.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Tasmania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We stayed on two separate occasions. The first time the bedroom was impossibly small for a double bed but the ensuite bathroom was good. On the second visit the room was a larger one but the ensuite bathroom was miniscule! On both occasions we found the facilities clean and adequate, the beds comfortable and the noise levels reasonably low. There has been an on-going problem with the swipe keys for the door locks which we were told was under review. The hotel is conveniently situated to the West Kensington tube and several convenience stores, as well as a laundrette.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

This is NOT a hotel it is a B&B so I will not rate it as a hotel. Booked a double room and was given a room you couldn't swing a mouse in never mind a cat. The smell of raw sewage from the bathroom was stomach turning and if you could stick it long enough to have a shower the fire alarm would go off in the 'so called' bedroom because of the steam. The side of the building has a large sign down the side that says BED & BREAKFAST but they're cute enough not to show that side in photo. The room key never worked so you had to get the reception to keep opening it.
WON;T BE BACK!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Bath, Somerset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

This trip was booked for me and my girlfriend. I was about to go away to Fiji on an expedition for 3 months as a volunteer research assistant - I had to attend a briefing in London. We arrived at hotel to be told there were no doubles available and they took us to the room which was basically a cupboard with bunkbeds. The area was full of house parties and kids hanging around, we did not feel safe. I moved to another hotel. On trying to get our money back I was informed that the Night Desk Operator showed us a double room and we said it was not suitable - THIS IS A TOTAL LIE. I believe they let our room go to someone else I WOULD NEVER EVER RETURN OR RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE. If my elderly grandparents booked this hotel - how could a 74 and 83 year old get into bunkbeds. Disgusting. To date I have not received an apology or refund so in total one nights stay in London - without breakfast cost me over £200 as I had to move hotels. BEWARE do not stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Kensington West Hotel? Share your experiences!