“Small!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington West Hotel

You added Kensington West Hotel to your Saves list
Kensington West Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Matheson Road,, London W14 8SN, England (Formerly Aston Court Hotel)   |
Ranked #700 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Roatan, Honduras
“Small!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My family and I stayed here for 2 night in Sept 2010. Wow. The staff was nice but it was like a maze in there. The place was clean and they have internet, but the room was sooo small, we and our luggage could barely fit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
qwqwqw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Ok, so group of us stayed at the much anticipated Kensington West a couple of weeks ago. After reading several reviews before arriving, we were somewhat apprehensive! However, things we not as bad as the reviews would have you believe! The rooms, although stinky and poorly ventilated, were clean and tidy and the shower was good enough. Bit strange that a hotel/b&b does not provide breakfast.. we did ask, but the lady behind the til told us we could buy one, and pointed at a rather stale looking croissant behind the counter. We decided to pass. £4 for a wooden looking breakfast wasn't tempting enough. I was awoken very early one of the morning by some chimpanzee-like youths hanging out on street below us, but it's central london so can't blame the hotel for that! I believe it cost about £75 per room, which is not cheap, but where in central London is? I didn't dare use the lift, but I believe it worked fine. There was a random fold up bed in the corridor but thankfully I had my own room!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Glenorchy, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We asked for a room with 3 beds and were given a small cramped room with a double and small single bed. The bath had no shower curtain just broken hooks. On telling reception this we were told it hadn,t had one for a long time. There were no bathmats supplied which meant we left a very wet floor, dangerous as could have slipped. We saw the breakfast been offered tucked away on the top shelf. This could be made more appealing by having it freshly displayed on the counter. The illuminated sign outside says dinner bed breakfast! The covers on our bed were clean but stained so not very appealing. Room would have been ok for the 2 of us but definately too small for 3. I did like the hedge outside though, it gave a clean and tidy impression of the place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed here a couple of days ago now on a school trip to London for one night. We were a room of four staying in bunk beds. The room was small but comfortable with a clean bathroom. The only thing was, upon arrival I discovered 3 stains on my bed and there was only one wall socket for 4 people to share. I advise you to take an extension leed. The breakfast in the morning was disappointing, we had to fetch it in the morning at 7:30 and eat it in our room. It included a paper bag in which was a chocolate muffin, small bottle of orange juice, biscuit bar, strawberry yoghurt and a small croissant. I did however enjoy it. The beds were comfortable and there was plenty of access to wifi, television and complimentary hot beverages in reception. Overall a good stay!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Very basic room. 18" open-fronted wardrobe with no drawer space at all. 1 stool to sit on, bed occupied most of the space in the room. Tiny 3-cornered wash basin mostly obscured by fixed tap-mixer so impossible even to wash face. "Bathroom accessories" turned out to be 2 toilet rolls and one half-empty bottle of handwash in the shower ! Two small towels were thrown on the bed, apparently they should have been shaped into a flower !

The beverages available in reception turned out to be a small plastic cup (it took two of them to fill a mug and, although I understood from reading other reviews a breakfast pack was available, this was not offered to me.

All my complaints were refuted with "We are a budget hotel" and I had to complain twice before I was granted a fresh bottle of handwash and a replacement shower/shampoo bottle for the shower.

The price advertised in reception was £75 per night and I had agreed to pay £157.60 for 2 nights on the Internet. I found £189 had been deducted from my card as under "Cancellation" a further 20% Tax of £31.50 had been added makine the real cost £95.50 per night ! When I queried the price, the receptionist said "You're staying in one of my favourite rooms in the hotel " When I asked her if she would pay £95 a night to stay there she said "Well, you are in London !"

As a regulare traveller to London, I feel this hotel is being very misleading and the staff made me feel a second-class citizen and I feel very angry that I was duped into paying dearly for the priviledge. I can only advise anyone to avoid staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Impossible as I say many youth trips staying at this hotel and I imagine all the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
KensingtonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Kensington West Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your review enables us to better our services for future guests.

We provide complimentary hot beverages at reception, cups are provided for our guests, you have access to the machine 24/7 and can drink as many hot beverages as you desire. If you wish to bring your own mug you can fill it up as many times as you want.

When you make a reservation online, before you enter your credit card details you will see the total price of the room, as like an airline prices fluctuate depending on supply and demand.

We at Kensington West are centrally located and provide a friendly atmosphere for you to enjoy your stay in London.

We provide complimentary toiletries for our guests to use while they are staying with us. Upon you informing a member of our team that your hand wash bottle was half full they replaced it with a full bottle. Our housekeeping department have been re-informed to make sure that our complimentary toiletries bottles are full at all time. Sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Having visited London in the past, We were very aware of room sizes particularly in budget class hotels. Kensington West was fine for our needs. We stayed in a family room(en suite). As we knew we wouldn't be in the room much so the size of the room wasn't an issue.
The location is very convenient to the tube station. Excellent nearby shopping and pubs. Staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. En suite bathroom was small but suitable. Hot water in shower was never a problem. Overall good budget lodging

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind praises, the team at Kensington West are glad you chose to stay with us and that we met your expectations. We hope to welcome you back to the Kensington West in the near future.
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Very disappointed in this location. Floors were dirty, shower leaked, no towels, no toilet paper. Booked as a bed and breakfast, the "breakfast" was a pre packaged roll available for a price. Staff was nasty and rude. Refused to help us with any of our complaints. Do not stay here even if you have no other choices. The train station is cleaner. There was a wooden ladder at our open window that the staff would not move. . Made it hard to feel safe.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
KensingtonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Kensington West Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your review will enable us to better our services for future guests. We take pride in providing our guests a clean base to stay while they visit London, majority of the reviews our guests write emphasize that our rooms are clean and the team are friendly and helpful so it seems strange that this was not the case for you. We are more then happy to change a guest’s room and to get maintenance in to fix a shower leakage at the time of your stay if front desk are made aware of this. We sell a premier continental breakfast pack at £3.95 per pack. Most of our rooms are sold room only however guests are able to pre-purchase our premier packed breakfast which is advertised as a packed breakfast or purchase at reception. Currently the pack includes a fresh croissant, muffin, biscuit pack, fruit juice and a yogurt. (This is subject to change). Research confirms that guests prefer to venture out and find a nice local café to have a hearty breakfast. There are a number of cafe's nearby where guests are able to have a full English Breakfast. We serve complementary hot beverages throughout your stay with us, which is available at reception.

Been to Kensington West Hotel? Share your experiences!