“Would go back to this hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cranley Gardens Hotel

You added Cranley Gardens Hotel to your Saves list
Cranley Gardens Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Cranley Gardens | South Kensington, London SW7 3DB, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Ranked #835 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Lisbon, Portugal
“Would go back to this hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Nothing special but for the price was quite acceptable.
The room floor could be a bit cleaner.
Well located within 10 minutes from the tube and museums.
Very friendly staff.
Would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We spent a total of three nights, pre and post cruise, at The Cranley Gardens. The location is fantastic. A fairly residential area near enough the Gloucester Road Tube Station, a variety of excellent restaurants, several groceries and a walk to Hyde Park. (Try Rocca di Papa for dinner - just a 5 minute walk. Wonderful service, prices and food and the hotel staff made reservations for our party of 14.)

The lobby is small, but comfortable and WiFi works there. The rooms are a reasonable size for Europe, but VERY basic. No extras like additional pillows. The windows open, and we needed that the last night as London was unseasonably HOT. We really were very uncomfortable in the almost 90 degree heat, so think about that if you are going to be there in the summer. Fortunately, it is a fairly quiet neighborhood and the street noise was not terrible, but the heat was oppressive!

The triples we had our teenagers in were very well set up and a decent size..

Bathrooms are basic and anyone with mobility issues will need to take care getting in and out of the bathtub. The multiple, very heavy fire doors in all the hallways make going to and from various areas of the hotel or getting to the small lift or stairs a bit of a challenge for anyone who is not fairly agile and able to push them open. (My 80 year old parents had to really push to get through.) We used the stairs mostly as the lift is small and slow. Fortunately we had some big teenage boys with us to haul luggage!

Breakfast is cereals, toast, some fruit, cheese, yogurt, juices, coffee and tea. Very adequate and convenient.

Overall, for the price and location it is a great choice. If you are looking for extra frills such as fluffy pillows, A/C, more than the BBC on the TV, WiFi in your room, you will need to spend a LOT more cash in London. If you want a wonderful, safe location at a very fair price The Cranley Gardens is a good choice.

Room Tip: There are a couple of rooms on the ground floor where you do not have to deal with the lift, stairs...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Renfrewshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Room was grimey and fixtures and fittings were poor and in bad order. I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 10 days. 2 adults and 2 children in one triple room. The room is relatively big and clean but have nothing except for beds and towels. The neighborhood is great and quiet, beautiful and have grocery stores close by. The Gloucester Road tube station is 10 minutes walk away. The wi-fi is poor and available only at the lobby.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I have never ever written a review in my life but I felt compelled to write one about this hotel. I stayed here in early June 2011 alone for what should have been two nights (more about that later). On first impressions it seemed much like any other cheap London hotel. The staff at the reception were friendly and was given room 11 which is on the ground floor. It was ok, smelled slightly but I put this down to the high temperatures outside and the window being closed. Extremely basic and everything could do with replacing but considering the location (amazing), the price I paid (£150 for two nights) and the fact that I would only be sleeping there I felt that it would be fine. On the second evening of my stay I went to bed quite early but I awoke at around 10.30pm and switched the light on to find a cockroach on the floor beside my bed. I immediately rang the reception who said they had no other rooms available so I had no other choice but to leave. The hotel agreed to pay for my taxi to another hotel but they have not since had the decency to reply to either my letters or my emails. In hindsight, I made the mistake of not taking any photos but I was horrified and needed to get out of there asap. My advice would be to never stay here no matter how tempted you are by the cheap prices and the excellent location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

Prior to booking this hotel I read many of the reviews on this site and was frankly quite worried about what I'd find on arrival, but I was pleasantly surprised. The location is perfect, the staff (with one exception) were friendly and helpful, the lobby was nice (there is internet service in the lobby, so I spent a bit of time there each evening), and the room was clean. Sure, the room's decor left a bit to be desired, but I wasn't there often enough for it to pose a problem. It was spring and we left our windows open. It was a nice surprise to be awakened by birdsong. We had a triple room (for myself and my nephew), so there were three twin beds. One of the twin beds was in a separate small room, which is where I slept. It was nice to have privacy even when traveling with family. It was never too hot (windows opened in any case, so either way it would have been fine) or too cold. The beds were comfortable and I slept well. Each bed came with a pillow (rather flat, but I prefer that) and there were two extra pillows and two extra blankets in the wardrobe. We stayed a week and enjoyed every minute of our time at Cranley Gardens. We didn't each breakfast at the hotel. There are lots of restaurants and coffee shops a short walk away and we preferred to be out. I think the people writing these reviews are expecting Doubletree rooms for Motel 6 prices. If a luxurious hotel is what you're looking for, this is probably not the place for you, but if you want to stay in a safe location in the heart of London in a pleasant hotel that is extremely affordable then I wouldn't let the negative reviews scare you away. Just don't expect anything fancy!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
wolverhampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Price attracted us here as we needed to be close to the Royal Marsden hospital. The rooms are VERY basic, I've stopped in better rooms in Blackpool B&B's. Saying that however this place is half the price of most accomodation in the area. Breakfast is poor, toast and cereal, staff are good. The area is beautiful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Cranley Gardens Hotel? Share your experiences!