“Overpriced and very disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Willett Hotel

You added Willett Hotel to your Saves list
Willett Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   32 Sloane Gardens | Sloane Square, London SW1W 8DJ, England (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #899 of 1,055 Hotels in London
Cheshire
“Overpriced and very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

I have just returned from the Willett Hotel where I stayed last night. I paid £134 room only. It has to be the tiniest double room I have ever seen. You have to open the door and squeeze into the next room to open the bedroom door and then there is a tiny shoe box of a bathroom where there was no cold water. it`s lovely brushing your teeth with hot water......very refreshing (not)first thing in the morning.
There was no lift and my bedroom was up three flights of stairs. I had help carrying my suitcase up. No disabled facilities, thats for sure. I would not recommend this hotel. It was worth £80 room only and not what I paid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It was not clean and the bedroom looked nothing like the website photos
  • Tips/Secrets — don`t book this hotel
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

This was our first visit to the Willett and we were very pleased. We have visited Chelsea every year for 40 years, but our old hotel went out of business. We booked well in advance at the Willett and requested a room on the ground or first floor, which we got. Our room was lovely and comfortable. The staff were very pleasant and extremely helpful and efficient. When I asked for help with a train schedule, the receptionist went on line, found the information, and printed out a variety of options for our day trip. We liked the fact that the hotel had staff present 24 hours a day, in case of emergencies.

• Liked — Cheerful comfortable room and pleasant staff
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — book early and ask for lower floors
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cape Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

I “discovered” the Willett about 3 years ago and have since been staying there whenever visiting London. Although one normally has to climb a steep staircase to get to your relatively small room, the guest house atmosphere and good breakfasts have always appealed to me. The hotel’s proximity to the Sloane Square underground station is an added benefit. My last visit (in September 2006), however, was less than enjoyable. There was no cold water. Imagine trying to take a shower or brush your teeth, but boiling hot water coming from both taps! For five solid days I begged the staff on duty to attend to the problem. Every time I was assured that the problem would be taken care of, only to again be confronted with hot water in the morning. I could literally not wash myself properly for five days, which is quite inconvenient given that I had to attend business meetings every day. My only recourse was to fill the bath with hot water in the evenings and take a cold bath the next morning (a thought that only crossed my mind on day four). Than on my sixth and last day, a miracle happened: cold water coming from the cold water tap! I was able to take a nice, long shower before returning to South Africa.

Sadly, I will have to find somewhere else to stay on my next visit.

Tom Ferreira
Cape Town

Stayed September 2006
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

A very good find in central London. Just off Sloane Square in the posh bit of the city, five minutes walk from the tube station. The hotel is a classic London town house - at first I couldn't find it, it's in a tasteful terrace of large residences with marble steps and pillars.

Not a lot goes on here, the reception is small and there is a staircase leading up to the rooms, that's it. No bar, no restaurant, but who cares, this is central London, there are bars and restaurants all over the place (although this is a hotel review try Resaurant Carrafini round the corner for excellent pasta in an Italian atmosphere).

The room was a pleasant surprise; a large room, very tastefully decorated with a huge bed. The tiny en-suite bathroom was a bit of a let down, so only 4/5 over all.

When I checked out I was told by the friendly east-european staff that I had had the largest room - ask for Room 5.

I paid (my company paid) GBP180 for a night - no breakfast.

Accommodation 4/5 - tiny bathroom a let down
Location 4/5
Price 5/5 - given the location

• Liked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for room 5 - it's the largest.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

We stayed here for the mid term break,and the children loved it.We immediately felt relaxed with our cheery welcome from"Vivi", even though for some strange reason we appeared to be booked into The Gallery Hotel unbeknownst to us,this did not pose a problem.
Lovely Triple room,no noise in Hotel,we were truly sorry to leave,after a bad experience in another Sloane Gardens Hotel in 2005,we know where we will be returning to...
Thankyou to the Willett...we will be back!!

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2005

We stayed at this hotel for the two days in the last week of 2004. It had been recommended by a friend and we expected a delightful hotel. Instead we got a microscopic room that we could barely move around in. If you think I'm exaggerating, note that we could only open the bathroom door halfway before it was stopped by the bed! Speaking of the bathroom, it was a gamble on whether or not the toilet would flush. The room had two windows, one of which was covered up, and the other was mostly opaque colored glass (partially broken), so we had no outside view. Our room also filled with smoke when someone downstairs lit up. And we disliked the mammoth climb up several flights of steep stairs.

We moved out quickly to an excellent hotel just a block away, right on Sloane Square. For the same price we got a room twice as large overlooking the square, a sitting room, a flushing toilet, and a lift. We also had got our own teapot so we didn't have to pay 2 quid for tea! We were very happy with our second choice.

St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2004

We stayed at the Willett in 2002. Loved it so much we recommened it to our friends this year and they loved it too. It is so convenient to the Sloan Sq. Tube stop. Shopping is right around the corner. There is a Safeway within walking distance for your grocery shopping. Plenty of restaurants on Kings Road. McDonald's became a late night stop after a full day sightseeing. Banks are located at Sloan Sq. for easy access to ATM. The opposite way from Sloan Sq (residential area) we found the best Italian and Indian Restaurants. Front Desk was wonderful and helpful. They got us a cab for our ride back to Victoria Station. Luggage was moved to the 3rd floor for us. No lift, so be prepared to use the steps several times a day. The twin room was comfortable and clean. We had a room on the street side and it was not noisy at all. Bathroom was small, but had a shower and everyday the towels were changed. It was so clean. Breakfast was great. A full English Breakfast or cereal, toast, yogurt, etc, included in room rate. Breakfast area is small and cozy in the basement area. You get to meet other residents. Usually they are repeat customers of the Willitt. You could not ask for more. Like our friends, we will stay there again If you come from the Gatwick to Victoria Station take a cab to the hotel. It is not worth fighting the Tube with luggage. The cost is worth it.

Been to Willett Hotel? Share your experiences!