“Wonderful location, service, and rooms!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Domenico House

Save Saved
You added San Domenico House to your Saves list
San Domenico House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29-31 Draycott Place, London SW3 2SH, England (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #161 of 1,073 hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Wonderful location, service, and rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This warm and welcoming hotel is amazing! I stayed there by chance as I needed to be within the Chelsea area. I have to say it was a pleasant surprise. The hotel has so much character and is run by the most exceptional team. The rooms are spacious and very well decorated. The bed is comfortable and the bathrooms are pristine! I recommend this hotel if you'd like to spend a lovely weekend in London with someone special. The only minor con is that it is a bit too pricy. However, you do get the occasional offer every now and then.

I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
San Pedro de Alcantara, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We sold an apartment we had in central London as it was just too much effort and cost to maintain whilst living abroad, much better to check into the very "swish" San Domenico House.
Located minutes away from Sloane Square and in a quiet side street it couldn't be more central. The Kings Road is a block away, Harrods close by as is Victoria Station and the Gatwick Express and taxis pass along all the time, so getting anywhere is no problem.

This Boutique Hotel situated in what once was a private house has retained a personal charm and intimacy. The rooms have been decorated in a very chic manner and are warm and friendly though small. Everything is clinically clean, rose petals in the loo and fine toiletries in the bathroom. The shower could do with a booster as the water, though hot exited only as a firm trickle and some form of hand grip is lacking. Standing in a bath with shower gel on one's feet and trying to balance while washing can prove lethal.

The small lounge in the entrance is cosy and welcoming, service is sometimes a little slow but this really is because the hotel is small and does not run with a huge number of staff. Many of the staff are from Puglia Italy where the (mother) Masseria is situated, from good families and in London to learn the language and do their utmost to serve clients well.

The delightful little Breakfast Room in the basement is beautifully furnished and well worth a visit. The Continental Breakfast comes with fresh warm breads, pastries and croissants and invigorating hot coffee, perfect for starting the day and does not cost the £14.00 which is being quibbled about, only if it is Room Service. A full English Breakfast is served too.

Shortly before leaving for London I read a vitriolic review written by the ex-house owner who sold to San Domenico. 'Fiona' must have had a mouthful of sour grapes because the San Domenico proved to be quite an enchanting find and somewhere I will readily recommend and use again on my next visit to London.

Room Tip: The doors are Fire Doors so many guests are not considerate enough to close carefully without bangin...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Great staff, a very different and boutique hotel in the heart of London. we had a lovely room on two levels and a four poster bed. it has a very Italian feel and the service is excellent and very personal - they had even scattered rose petals in the loo!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Hotel is very convenient as it is in Central London. A short walk Sloane Square Tube Station.The Kings Road is just around the corner. The rooms have a lot of character and are very spacious. would stay again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dollar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel three times now and think that it is one of the best value hotels in London. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and ther location is perfect being so close to the Kings Road. I haven't used room service or had breakfast and my one critcism would be that when ordering a drink in the lounge it takes a long time to be served. Other than that it is a small but perfectly formed bolthole. I will certainly continue to use it when I visit London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Our experience was at this hotel was fantastic. The staff were polite and accommodating-the manager even flagged down a taxi for us. Room 202 was GORGEOUS-will definitely return. Location is fantastic as it is steps away from Tiffany's and Sloane St. The only negatives were the breakfast was overpriced and the shower head was in a difficult position to keep the water in the tub. However, overall we were extremely pleased and tickled to have our first proper English Tea.

Room Tip: 202 was amazing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We only stayed for 1 night for the price of 165 pounds excluding VAT (pretty good for a 5 star hotel, found deal on trivago). I have to say this hotel is one of the bests I've ever been in my experience, It started with me and Luke (boyfriend) turning up at around 12:50pm at the door knocking to be let in by the staff, they were really nice and helped us show us the room, we were let in earlier than 2pm which I really liked. when we got to our room (204) it was absolutely lush, it was also a good size, they even had sprigs of lavender on the bed pillows. the bathroom was stunning (I've uploaded pictures to show) and the bed was actually delightful to sleep in, the covers were soft and you can tell they were good Egyptian cotton.

We were given an upgrade room which is the Junior Suit to what we had before which was the Gallery suit but me being me I wanted the Gallery suit as it was 2 floors. They upgraded us because our room had a light to be fixed, I didn't mind that being done as the electrician came down in like 20-30minutes and was finished in wouldn't say more than 8 minutes. Once that was done the cleaners did pop by to clean the small mess the electricians had made. (didn't take more than 5 minutes to clean). I wouldn't say these are issues for us as we did turn up earlier than expected but they made our stay absolutely perfect, this hotel is also 5 minutes from Sloane square station and kings road. I would definitely come back here. San Domenico House watch out for us 2 again! :)

Room Tip: Our room was 204
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to San Domenico House? Share your experiences!