“Nice Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Egerton House Hotel

You added Egerton House Hotel to your Saves list
Egerton House Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17-19 Egerton Terrace, Knightsbridge, London SW3 2BX, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Special Offer
3 night for 2
Ranked #1 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Nice Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been to London several times and normally stay in a larger hotel. However, with the rave reviews on TA, I decided to give it a shot. Let me just say, the hotel staff is second to none. The location is perfect, close to Harrods and tons of shopping. That being said, out room was the smallest I have encountered in a London hotel. We were really squeezed for space. The thermostat was very finicky and the TV rarely worked as it should(although we don't go there for the tele). This is a very quiet hotel, which is good and bad. Younger patrons will probably find a better place for nightlife at the bar. While we had a nice visit, we will probably go back to a larger setting. Just too quiet and small for our liking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor and for the wonderful comments about the staff which I have passed to everyone.
We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding that it is recognised. We are very centrally located close to Harrods, the Victoria & Albert Museum and the wonderful shops on Brompton Road.

I am sorry to read that you felt the room was quite small and that you were squeezed for space. All our rooms are very individual and vary in size. I am also disappointed to hear that the thermostat was finicky and that the TV rarely worked. Had you brought these issues to our attention we would have had them rectified immediately so I can only apologies.

The Egerton House is located in a residential street away from the hustle & bustle of the Brompton Road which most guests love, however I do understand that it may not suit everyone and was maybe a bit too small and quiet for you. I totally appreciate that some guests prefer the larger settings.

Once again we very much appreciate your feedback and thank you for staying with us.

Michelle Devlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
Reigate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

In a nutshell the service is very good. the staff have obviously been taught that very well. the wagu burger at dinner was great, the cream tea was divine and the service as i said second to none. Staff were very friendly too. but a couple of disappointments though. and from the reviews i expected perfection. It has a lovely homely feel to it in an excellent location but a few things need improving. i wanted to love it so so much and i probably will return but i would need to see with management that a few things had improved.

sleep - the matresses were very old. i was told they would be replaced this year sometime but it screwed up my sleep. they did offer me to chose another room but all the other matresses were soft too, even in the most expensive suite. we did get upgraded when after 6 rooms i found a matress that was a bit more supportive but the tv didn't work in this room and i love to lay in bed and watch the television and movies. so they gave us another room to use but i had to walk through hallway to get to the other room to sleep cause the matress in the bedroom where the tv was was too soft. anyway its just that for a 5 star hotel this should be perfect. the guy who was helping us has said the tv has broken down before so in a five star it should be replaced and the matresses should be amazing. If i one can't sleep well in a hotel there is no point of being in a hotel and one should be able to get a good rest on a holiday.

Food - on the food i have mixed feelings. the breakfast i had was not very good. it was good for a3/ 4 star but not 5 star quality. i had the full english breakfast and my whole breakfast was very dry, cold and overcooked and at 26 pounds this should be perfect. my husband had the eggs benedict which was very good though. the cream tea was excellent quality and the wagu beef burgers were amazing. On christmas day for lunch we were recommended to go to the chesterfield restaurant in one of egerton's sister properties. the food was not that good and we would never definately return to this restaurant. the service was great but the food didn't justify the 272.00 pounds for 2 people and we only had one drink of alcohol each!!!!!! so most of it was for food.

the bar - the last thing was that when i booked i spoke to the manager who promised me antonio, the main barman and entertainer the hotel gloats about, would be present on the days i booked. when i arrived antonio was not there and although the guy replacing him was nice it just wasn't the same. Antonio is the master of cocktails and a great knowledge and the guy replacing him didn't have the same knowledge. also antonio creates a special atmosphere.

overall as the service and some of the food was very good i want to return but i would have to see a few things improve first. I really wanted it to be a perfect 2.5 days as i rarely get time off of work and needed it to be perfect. for 2 nights and our trip costing 1275 pounds (including chesterfield dinner) it needed to be better for the money.

but do not go to their sister property the chesterfield for food. not 5 star quality.

the hotel is worth a try cause maybe they improved the value by then.

Room Tip: check if the matresses have been changed first as they are due to change them this year. also do not...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your candid review on Trip Advisor and we appreciate your feedback. I am pleased that you felt that the service was good that you enjoyed the wagu burger and your afternoon tea. It is good that you felt at home and that the location was excellent.

I am sorry to hear that you thought our mattresses were too soft and old. We are committed to maintaining the property to the highest possible standards and it is an ongoing plan that we change them whenever necessary. I was aware that my duty manager was assisting you with your requests and I am glad that we found a mattress that was to your liking. I am only sorry that you then experienced problems with the TV. I can only apologise for this and assure you that all issues experienced during your stay have been fully rectified. It is our greatest goal to make sure that our guests have a most enjoyable stay with us and I am sorry that we did not achieve our goal on this occasion.

I have discussed your breakfast comments with our Food & Beverage manager and I am sorry that the full English was dry cold and over cooked. I am pleased however to hear that your husbands eggs Benedict was good.

I have passed your comments to our sister property about your experience of Christmas dinner and am sure they will be in touch with you directly but allow me to apologise also on their behalf. It was our recommendation and we wanted the experience to be a memorable one also.

Antonio is indeed very famous and people do come from far and wide to sample his wonderful martini’s. Sadly during the time you were with us while he should have been on duty he came down with Norwalk virus and was off duty for a few days. Esley has been trained by Antonio and does a fantastic job but Antonio does create a special atmosphere and it was a shame that you did not experience this.

I do understand that with a busy schedule your down time is very precious and you want to enjoy it and want it to be perfect. I am sorry that this wasn’t the case. But I do hope that you will give us another chance and visit again and I can personally assure you that your stay will not only be memorable but unforgettable.

Once again my apologies and thank you for your feedback.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Having traveled much over the years it is so pleasing to return to such a comfortable unobtrusive and efficiently managed hotel. Very conveniently placed for access to Harrods the museums and theatres of London. A truly world class hotel that I would prefer to keep secret! Gerry H

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and I am thrilled that you had a good stay with us. I am delighted that you felt that The Egerton House Hotel is managed effectively and that you found it comfortable and unobtrusive. We are indeed centrally located close to Harrods, Harvey Nichols, The Victoria & Albert Museum to name but a few. The Egerton House Hotel is our little gem and we hope that you will return to us in the not too distant future.

South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Egerton last week to celebrate an important anniversary. We had a wonderful time in London thanks largely to the lovely room and absolutely superb service provided by every staff member. Our flight from the States arrived at 7 AM and the hotel encouraged us beforehand to come to the hotel upon arrival so that they could make us comfortable and possibly allow us into our room early. Indeed we were in our room happily freshening up at 9:00AM and we had a 6 PM check out our last day which effectively gave us 2 full days added to our stay. I can't count the times wwe were asked if there was anything the staff could do for us. The service is very attentive but not al all stuffy. We enjoyed the nightly fire in the drawing room and cocktails by the wonderful barman Antonucci whose martinis are justifialy famous. I had a Kir royal that was also great and his sense of humor only added to the enjoyment. While the room price is high so many complimentary amenities are included that it ends up being a very good value. We were in Room 31 which was spacious with a nice view. There was virtually no street noise. We plan to return to the Egerton House very soon.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site for us. It is very much appreciated. I am delighted that we had the opportunity to share your special occasion with you and I am thrilled that you had a wonderful time. We love spoiling our guests on special occasions so I am glad you shared this information with us. Wherever possible we do try to give guests an early check in if we are aware that the flight is arriving early and indeed we also try to offer late check out. These are obviously subject to availability so I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you on both occasions. We are very service orientated, it is our great passion so it is rewarding to hear that it was superb and attentive.

Our drawing is beautiful and cosy during the long evenings and with the fire glowing and Antonio in full swing it makes for a great atmosphere and our guests love it. Antonio’s martini’s are just the best as is his sense of humour. He is a character!

I am so pleased that everything was to your liking and that you appreciated the complimentary amenities. They do add value and are very popular.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to the Egerton House Hotel on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist with your booking.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The staff were so helpful and made you feel at home. It was personable with the lounge that was cosy and charming. Best martini I have had and hot chocolate and mini fruit pies were provided every afternoon. The room was comfortable and location amazing with harrods and Albert museum a 5 min walk. Should be no. 1 and would stay there again

Room Tip: All rooms at Egerton are amazing and each one styled differently
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review Trip Advisor and I am delighted that the staff were helpful and made you feel at home. Our team takes great pride in offering the highest possible level of service to our guest and it is very rewarding when this is recognized.

Antonio does serve the best martini but I am also pleased that you enjoyed our hot chocolate and mince pies. It adds to the coziness of our drawing room and has been very popular with our guests.

Our rooms are all very individual and all very comfortable and we are indeed very centrally located with Harrods and various museums in close proximity and of course the wonderful shops on Brompton Road.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Egerton House Hotel on a future visit.

Port Talbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed 28th-30th Dec on a Magical London package. My husband and I visited for our anniversary and we were greeted by Scott upon our arrival, who took care of a very smooth check-in. Our room wasn't ready as we arrived much before 2, however we were shown to the drawing room and offered complimentary tea as we waited, which took just 15 mins. We didn't expect to Check-in early and so we were really pleased that we were able to. We stayed in room 24, a beautiful character-filled room on the second floor. I was extremely impressed with the attention to detail; the soft furnishings were to die for. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in whilst away from home, and I have stayed in many hotels around London.. We had everything we needed, even a stationary draw including paper clips and scissors!... luxurious soft robes, the softest slippers, a pillow for the bath, a tv in the bathroom!! I could go on and on... In the evening we decided to try out Antonio's famous martini... My husband and I were blown away. Antonio is such a character, I was lucky enough to have my picture taken with him! Each table had olives, snacks and nuts on which Antonio kept topping up each time we ran low. For our anniversary, Scott and the front desk staff congratulated us with a card and the most beautiful cake (which we forgot to bring home!!! :( but the thought was so kind and we were so touched that the staff had gone to the trouble. Michelle the manager also offered to help us with bookings for restaurants/shows/taxis etc. Breakfast was filled with choice, we opted for the eggs Benedict and my eggs were cooked to perfection. The hotel was ideally located as we were there to shop, with Harrods being around the corner. We popped into Frankies around the corner for cocktails which was enjoyable. All in all, a fantastic experience which I will never forget. We already plan to go back in March. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so memorable and wonderful; the personal touches really did make us feel totally valued as customers, especially our Christmas stocking! Lindsay & Jamie Piper, South Wales

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of The Egerton House Hotel and I am delighted that you an enjoyable stay with us on your very special occasion. It was our pleasure to take care of you while waiting for your room and I am happy that we managed to arrange an early check in. I am so pleased that you liked your room, the attention to detail, the comfort of the bed our beautiful robes, towels and slippers. We do like to ensure that guests have everything they need to make their stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible.

Antonio is indeed a character and is renowned for his famous martini’s and anecdotes. It is his passion and he is the Captain of his ship. I am sure he enjoyed having his picture taken with you and I will let him now how much you enjoyed your experience.

It is always a privilege to share special occasions with our guests and I am glad you liked your cake and card. I am thrilled it made the occasion and stay more memorable.

I have passed your kind words to all the team who really do appreciate your comments and your time and we look forward to seeing you both in March.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Egerton House - London in the beginning of November on our way to South Africa. The hotel came as a recommendation / honeymoon gift from my mother and father. As I studied its location I knew we were in for a treat. I have previously lived in Kensington while studying abroad and knew that a hotel in Knightsbridge would have to be superb! The Egerton House is THE place to stay Knightsbridge. Centrally located and only a few blocks from the tube, the Egerton House Hotel is quintessential England. Upon our arrival we were greeted by the staff and felt a warm welcome (we were rather jet lagged and they had our room ready straight away!) The Egerton House feels as though you just came to stay with friends (very rich friends). The decor is super lush - tons of fabrics, antiques and gorgeous artwork. Our room was beautiful and to our surprise we were upgraded to an even better room for the second and third night we stayed (the staff also surprised us upon our arrival from dinner the first night with a room covered in candles, rose petals, champagne & choc covered strawberries!) Staying at the Egerton House was a real treat from a.m. to p.m. - room service with the paper along with gourmet coffee and biscuits in the morning, amazing smoked salmon and eggs in the dining room, water and fresh fruit delivered daily, meticulously detailed room service at any time and the most quaint bar with the best martini I've ever had. There is so much to say about the Egerton House - the staff truly makes you feel at home and treats like royalty! (not going to name names but we actually did see some celebrities have a drink late night in our bar) If you are looking to stay somewhere in London where you can ease your mind from the havoc of walking its city streets than the Egerton House may be for you. Young and old alike will fall in love with its charm and truly enjoy its five star service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was our great pleasure looking after you on your visit to The Egerton House Hotel in November and I am delighted that we were able to be part of your very special occasion. It is nice to hear that you consider it "The" place to stay when in London. I am also pleased that we were able to offer you an early check in after your long haul flight. When you come to stay at The Egerton we want it to feel like you are coming to stay with friends so I am thrilled that that is how you both felt.

All our rooms are individual and we try to allocate according to guest preferences. We also try to upgrade whenever possible but this of course this is subject to availability. Since we had the studio suite available on the second night and it was such a special occasion we were delighted to be able to offer it to you with our compliments. I am happy to hear that you appreciated the gesture as well as well as the romantic turndown.

It is good to know that we got all aspects of your stay right and that you enjoyed everything from the room to the food, amenities and above all the service. We do take great pride in our high standards. How wonderful to hear that you felt you were treated like royalty!

Of course Antonio, his bar and reputation precedes him. He does have a loyal following and it was good that you managed to sample on of his famous martini’s.

I have passed all your kind word to the team who greatly appreciate your lovely feedback.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your first Anniversary so we make the occasion another memorable one.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Michelle Devlin

Been to Egerton House Hotel? Share your experiences!