“Lovely hotel, friendly staff, recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Egerton House Hotel

You added Egerton House Hotel to your Saves list
Egerton House Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17-19 Egerton Terrace, Knightsbridge, London SW3 2BX, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Special Offer
3 night for 2
Ranked #2 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“Lovely hotel, friendly staff, recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed arrived at the Egerton House at noon on New Year's Day, and were warmly welcomed. As you can imagine, guests weren't quite ready to vacate their rooms, so we were invited to enjoy a complimentary glass of champagne by the fire in the lounge, which was really appreciated! This hospitality extended to every member of the staff. We were there for five nights, and on the last day we enjoyed a complimentary high tea.

The hotel is actually two joined townhouses. Upon entering, the lounge and a little bar are to the left, with the desk and elevator straight ahead. The lounge was a great place to relax or visit with other guests. The rooms in the front of the hotel face the brick terrace houses of the crescent, while the rooms in the rear overlook the gardens.

When we were shown to our room, I was very happy to see that it was the one I had asked for, a beautiful room overlooking the gardens in the back. The bed was comfortable and there was adequate lighting for reading. I thought that the decorating in the entire hotel was absolutely beautiful. We got the Baby Boomer rate, which included a continental breakfast - yogurts, cheese, fruit, juices, pastries - as well as offerings on the menu (egg dishes, etc).

The location was great, about 6 blocks from Harrods and equidistant from two tube stops which made getting around London easy. There were very good restaurants close by - a French bistro on the corner, a Lebanese restaurant a few blocks away, Sloane Square a little walk. We did take several London Walks tours, which we'd highly recommend.

All in all, we were very, very happy with the Egerton House and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Oops, I don't know how to delete the rating on the pool - there isn't one. I would recomm...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Anniejermyn, Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you chose to stay with us over the New Year a very special time of year. We do like to look after our guests and I am happy to hear that we did just that. I am so pleased that while your room was not ready you were treated to a nice glass of Champagne in our beautiful cosy drawing room. What a nice way to start the New Year. We do pride ourselves at The Egerton and my team are always ready to delight our guests with small touches that really make your stay special. I am thrilled that you enjoyed a Complimentary Afternoon Tea.

Our rooms are all individulally designed and it was fantastic that we could allocate the room of your choice with our delicious Continental breakfast.

Once again thank you for your very positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Egerton House maybe for The New Year 2013.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We found the Egerton House to be one of, it not the most charming home's away from home. We travel quite a lot and most hotels leave very little impression. The Egerton House left a great impression. The staff couldn't be more helpful, available but not intrusive. The location is great, rooms are very comfortable. Antonio and the rest of the bar staff couldn't make your vist there more relaxing and fun. We'll stay here every time we are in London.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Anniejermyn, Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us. We are always very grateful and without a doubt thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad that we left a lasting impression. The team does work very hard to create this and it it so nice to hear that we achieved our goal. I have passed your comments to each and every member including Antonio.

Please do make it your home away from home and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We loved the Egerton... the location was wonderful, the staff very friendly and attentive, our room was comfortable and the food was lovely. My husband, 15 yr old and I stayed 6 nights and it became our home away from home during our very active days in London. We arrived from the states weary from an overnight flight in the early morning -- we were graciouly served coffee and tea and told they may be able to get our room ready early. This was so appreciated as we needed a quick rest before taking in the sites on our first day in London. Everyone from Rosslee, the manager to Dario & Pedro who served our breakfast in our room or in the comfortable sitting room, were so personable. We were able to experience a wonderful tea one afternoon in celebration of my husband's and daughter's birthday -- everything was just perfect & delicious. We loved our stay and hope to come again someday.

Room Tip: We were a family of 3 traveling with a 15 yr. old, so we wanted to all stay in the same room. We ha...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Anniejermyn, Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We very much appreciate it. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff friendly and attentive. It is so nice to hear that you felt that The Egerton was like a home away from home and I hope it will become just that. We do want to ensure that our guests feel comfortable and relaxed when they are with us and I am glad that we did this for you.

I am really pleased that you had the opportunity to have afternoon tea with us as a little celebratory treat.

I have passed your comments to the team who are thrilled.

I do hope we wil have the pleasure of welcoming you back to your new home away from home on a future visit to London.

Warm regards,

Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This little gem has it all! Location, wonderful staff, super-comfortable rooms, and the best little bar in London!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Anniejermyn, Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. Please do visit us again on a future trip to London.

Basel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I have pretty hectic lives so when we got a weekend to ourselves we decided to stay in town for the night. I looked for places around chelsea and this hotel came up on trip adviser. I booked it feeling a little skeptical (the reviews seemed too good to be true), but I was really pleasently suprised that they didn't seem exagerated at all.

Like most people I felt the staff went above and beyond for us, we recieved a free upgrade to a king room (because we said it was the first night we'd had together in a while because of travelling), the staff also reccomended an amazing thai resturant for us and booked a table. When we got back they'd also done a complimentary "romantic turndown" of the bed (candles and roses everywhere), which was really lovely. We were also given bottled water for our journey on the way out (and they tried to give us an umbrella).

Breakfast was awesome and well worth the money, we had a fun time in the bar talking to other guests.

There were only few minor points we felt could improve, the most important being that the window in our room rattled something awful in the wind, some of the braiding on the celing was a little frayed, the shower screen did nothing to stop a minor flood and a maid walking in without knocking when my bf was half dressed.

Overall though the stay was excellent so I still gave full marks :)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we value your feedback very much. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us am thrilled to hear that the team went above and beyond the call of duty to make your visit special. We do pride ourselves on our high level of service and hope that we make your stay as memorable as possible.

I appreciate your comments on the minor points and be assured we have taken them on board. Thank you for bringing them to our attention.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back on a future visit.

Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Egerton House Hotel was a real pleasure to stay in. The staff were most helpful and polite.
We had a studio suite which was lovely and well equipped with beautiful soft furnishings. We also enjoyed the breakfast which was well presented.
My friend and I had a lovely weekend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff helpful and polite. I have passed on your kind comments to all of our team.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friend back to The Egerton on a future visit.

Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We expected great things from this hotel, because it was rated #3 of all the hotels in London. Some aspects of our experience were good. The location, in Knightsbridge, is wonderful. It's an elegant, interesting area. The Victoria & Albert Museum is a five-minute walk away. Another positive aspect of the Egerton is the politeness of the staff. They are obviously taught to be extremely polite, and they are. The hotel contracts with a car service that was excellent. Both drivers were punctual and polite, and the cost was reasonable.

However, the hotel had many drawbacks. There was a well-equipped writing desk, at which we couldn't write! The desk was too low, and the chairs were too high, so that it was impossible to use the desk. The staff brought three different chairs, none of which worked. I asked for a stool or hassock, didn't get it, and gave up. So, I ended up writing postcards using a book as my "desk." The room itself was small, although not tiny. Still, the area between the foot of the bed and the desk was narrow, so we had to plan our movements to get past each other.

We had problems with both the heat and the toilet, but the staff fixed both when we notified them.

The breakfast room was clean but small. Again, the service was excellent, but the Continental breakfast featured Kellogg's cereal in small boxes. (Fine for the Fairfield Inn, but not for the third best hotel in London!) There was also a English cereal in boxes, which was OK, but not special. We tried ordering from the menus, but didn't enjoy the food. The staff asked how they could make breakfast better for us. The problem was that I didn't want to say, "Make the coffee stronger, make the pancakes lighter, and serve the omelette unburned and less greasy." What we did was walk around the corner to Patisserie Valerie, and ordered their wonderful coffee and great English breakfast. Life's too short to eat mediocre food, even if it's included in the price of your hotel room.

I realize that this review represents a minority opinion. If you like a hotel with maids dressed in the classic maid's costume, with the short black dresses and white caps and aprons, then this is the hotel for you. It just wasn't the hotel for us.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Egerton House Hotel? Share your experiences!