“Very average!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Egerton House Hotel

You added Egerton House Hotel to your Saves list
Egerton House Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17-19 Egerton Terrace, Knightsbridge, London SW3 2BX, England (Chelsea)   |
Special Offer
4 nights for 3
Ranked #3 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Montana City, Montana
“Very average!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I'm so disappointed for several reasons and I keep thinking"Why did I have to have the bad experience, out of all these great reviews?" I was so excited for my stay at Egerton House. I did so much research on London Hotel's. After weeks of fretting I decided on Egerton House. We have stayed at many Hotels ranging form middle of the road to expensive to very expensive. I wanted a small Hotel like Egerton. I wanted the English feel. This Hotel does have that but nothing that stands out. There was nothing I can say that set this Hotel apart or deserved the 5 star reviews. It's the little things that matter. Like...a "Hello, how was your day", "Welcome back, how was dinner" or "Are you enjoying London?" Nothing! You walk in and right past the front desk. There was a young man there several times at night when we arrived. He did not even acknowledge us. But I must say Feray Kalendar was amazing and sweet hearted help. We were booked to go to Paris for a day. I asked Egerton to arrange a car for us. I told them the time of our train and asked what time we should be ready. I made sure to ask again so we were allotted enough time. Our train left at 8:04 am. We were told that a 7:15 car would be here. I was thinking well ok they know better than I. It must only take 10 minutes or so. We arrived at 7:48am. We looked at the board and the 8:04 Paris train said Closed! We were freaking out. We also had no idea where to go or how to get on the train. We were told we needed to run to the help desk. We had no clue where that was. We were finally directed to the appropriate spot. At this point we thought we would just get on the train. No such luck. There was a long security line. It was a mess. After security we ran to the train. We were a sweaty mess. We made it with about 20 seconds to spare. If it was not for a security guard over hearing we were going to miss our train and put us to the front, we would have. We were only going to Paris for the day. So, taking the next train would of lost us another hour. It was not like we were going there for a few days and could take the next train. So, the Hotel needs to give people going to the train station a lot more time. That was ridiculous. We were not pleased at all. We then canceled our return car. Which cost $200.00 USD one way! The rooms are small but very nice. The hotel did nothing special for us like the other reviews I have read. I often wondered why we were different. So many other reviews got Champaign, chocolate covered strawberries, rose petals ect. We were there for our Anniversary and got nothing. Even if people are not there for a (Special reason) it's still nice to come back to your hotel room with a little special something. When they would do turn down service our water was never replenished. Also, instead of adding the treat with coffee, room service would take the one from the day before and put it back. That was odd. We will not come back to Egerton House on our next visit. I just wish they would of been more inviting with us.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Greek first
Middletown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We went on our first trip to London and Paris last week and our stay our the Egerton House hotel was one of the highlights of our trip. The staff was extremely attentative and accomodative. We looked forward to starting the day with a nice breakfast served by Nijole and Inga. The concierge staff was extremely helpful in giving us directions and making dinner reservations. We did stay in one evenning and had dinner in their lounge. The meal was fantastic comparable to the great food we had in Paris.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I do not have enough superlatives to describe my recent stay at the Egerton House Hotel. From the initial responsiveness to every email request for tickets to tours to restaurant reservations, My husband and I found the staff to be the best we have ever encountered in a hotel. We mentioned that we were celebrating our anniversary and we came back from the theater to find rose petals strewn about our room, lit candles, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. I mentioned that I enjoyed a particular singer one evening in thru cozy bar, and the next day the cd was in our elegantly furnished room. The location was perfect, across the street from the Victoria and Albert museum with it'd fabulous Chihully. Please do not hesitate to stay here, it was a wonderful experience on every level.

• Stayed August 2011
SandraAnido, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your kind comments, it was a pleasure to look after you.

The Victoria and Albert Museum has the most wonderful exhibitions throughout the year and certainly make it worth the visit back to London and we do hope to welcome you back to The Egerton House Hotel in the not too distant future.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This small, charming hotel is located just a couple of blocks from Harrods and the Victoria and Albert Museum. The rooms, while small, are luxuriously appointed and the tea and breakfast service are both lovely.I was violently ill on one of the 4 nights we stayed there and the staff could not have been more helpful and caring. The service was hands down some of the best we have ever experienced. It was second only to the martinis shaken by Antonio. His martinis alone are worth the stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We were very sorry and concerned to see you unwell during your stay and we are all very glad to hear you have recovered fully and that you despite feeling unwell had a lovely stay with us.

Antonio sends his regards!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Egerton House Hotel.

Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

My husband and I spent two nights at the Egerton House Hotel in August; it was a visit we are not likely to forget. From the minute we walked in till the minute we left, nothing was too small or too complex for the staff to attend to. Exceptional, friendly, thoughtful are just a few words to describe the staff at this hotel especially the front desk; can't forget David, Seif, Antonio (who greeted us like an old friend) in short every single staff who attended to us. My husband had his birthday while we were there and they really went out to provide a cake, strawberries, chocolate and a really romantic turn down service complete with petals. It was really lovely. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your lovely comment on your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear you had a lovely time and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Egerton is in an exceptional location just off the main road in Knightsbridge in a quiet street close to the Brompton Oratory and the V & A Museum, and a couple of blocks from Harrods and Hyde Park. It's an easy walk to Chelsea and the West End.

There are just 28 rooms and ours was of an excellent standard, with all amenities you would expect of a five star London hotel.

The Manager and her team are very helpful and go out of their way to attend to any needs. Antonio, the bartender was a delight. Excellent breakfast

A great feature of this hotel is the small but intimate bar and the long standing barman Antonio. He greets all guests as friends and is an expert with the martini.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your thoughts on Tripadvisor, we are all so pleased to hear that you had a lovely time with us. Antonio has certainly spend many years perfecting his Martini's and we are so glad that you enjoyed it!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Egerton House in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

This is the second time that I have stayed at the Egerton Hotel and yet again I have been amazed by the wonderful experience. The service was exceptional and all staff extremely welcoming and friendly, I felt as though I was at home. The hotel is beautiful and my room was very comfortable. The food was phenomenal and the Martinis are a definite recommend. In addition the hotel is situated within a perfect location for anyone wanting to see and explore London or just to relax…

With excellent customer service, beautiful rooms and a hotel that will exceed your expectations in more ways than one, I definitely recommend staying the Egerton House Hotel!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Egerton House Hotel? Share your experiences!