“Location is great, but hotel disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt

You added Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   68-86 Cromwell Road, | Kensington and Chelsea, London SW7 5BT, England (South Kensington)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy breakfast for less
Ranked #344 of 1,049 Hotels in London
North Somerset
“Location is great, but hotel disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

Small room, a ratting air con vent disturbing my sleep(even though the air con was off) and toiletries bolted to the wall (never a sign of a good hotel!). On the plus side, location is great for the tube. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum 2 weeks ago and preferred it. And it was cheaper. If this is the area in London that you want to stay in, stay there instead.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

I booked the Radisson with Londontown.com for £79/night - the cheapest decent place I could find in the area for one night after 2 days in the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum for £54.50 (£109 with there 2 nights for the price of 1 offer).

3 days prior to my stay I used the online check-in service to process my payment and select my room preferences. The site says that having done this I should arrive to find myself already checked-in with my room keys "ready and waiting". And so, I was disappointed to find upon my arrival that I was still required to check-in as normal and the online service was not in any way useful or time-saving. Not least because my room preference also appeared to have been ignored.

I had requested the highest floor available but was first given a street-level room (room 10). Not only this but the room had an air conditioning unit directly outside the window which was very noisy (and incidentally appeared to be in poor repair with some ducting not connected properly) and would have looked out onto a brick wall only a few feet away had the glass not been frosted to disguise the eyesore. In addition, the minibar had clearly been switched off, unused and empty for some time.

Not surprisingly, I requested another room on a higher floor. I was given room 408 on level 4. I struggled to find my way to the room as I entered the lift with a maid who informed me that the lift wouldn't stop at level 4 and I would have to walk from level 3 (even though the lift shaft does go to level 4 and there is a '4' button and nothing in the lift to advise of the fault). However, when the maid left the lift I was told by an announcement that the lift was out of service and was taken to the basement level. Thankfully it did make it as far as level 3 second time around but there were clearly issues with the lift. I noticed some other lifts in the hotel were also marked 'out of service'.

Although this room was much better, with a pleasant outlook, the window was in poor repair and did not seal against the frame. This allowed a draft and a great deal of noise in from the street below. I brought this to the attention of the check-in staff and moved once again to a room located on the side of the hotel (143). Thankfully the room I ended up in was okay and I enjoyed my stay but I was left with a bitter taste after having had such a hard time checking-in to a decent room.

I also felt that the hotel was let down in other areas such as tired decor in the halls, stairs and lifts and less than welcoming check-in staff. The problems were highlighted as I had spent the previous two nights in the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum (literally over the road) which I could not fault.

• Liked — The Georgian Exterior. Location great for tube/museums/royal albert hall.
  • Disliked — Took 3 attempts to get a room up to par.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

I was apparently upgraded on check-in and got a room just about large enough, though the bathroom was not. It was as small as it possibly could be, had nowhere to put toiletries, and access to the over-bath shower was tricky. The room was nicely decorated, and my room service breakfast was delivered on time, and with much courtesy.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

The location is superb, within 2 minutes' walk of Gloucester Road Underground station, good both for business trips and tourists.
I spent one night there on business and was quite satisfied. Reception staff were patient and helpful and the front office layout is particularly pleasing.
The double room was smallish, fine for myself on business, but might have been cramped for two people staying. There was a slight smell of damp on entry, and I would echo the other criticisms of the layout of the bathrooms and position of the toilets (I have to conclude that the "architect" never tried sitting down on the job).
The bar area is pleasant and well run, if on the expensive side (but that applies to most London hotels). I cannot comment on the breakfast service, as I ate outside (there is a patisserie within 2 minutes' walk).

• Liked — Excellent location. Good service.
  • Disliked — Cramped layout
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We booked this stay with friends via Superbreak.com as part of a theatre, hotel and travel package and got a great deal on a 3 night stay.
For me the location was the best thing, literally 2 minutes from the tube. There are also lots of places nearby to chose to eat (Cous Cous Darna is well recommended)

Our party had rooms 10 & 11 on the ground floor at the back of the hotel which was through a side door and meant we didn't have other guests going past our door at all hours. Our room (10) had no view but as we were hardly in our room this didn't matter. Unfortunately there was a generator/air con unit outside the window, however once our earplugs were in it was fine.
The bathroom was a decent enough size, perfect for a long weekend, with plenty of hot water and had everything we needed, although an additional shelf to store toiletries would have been nice.
The room itself was a bit of an odd shape and didn't have the advertised iron and ironing board so I had to borrow my friend's from next door. Personally I didn't find the bed to be the most comfortable and the pillows were far too soft for my liking but that could be down to personal preference. It was well appointed and the in-room safe is handy.

The breakfast room was quite large and there was always plenty to chose from, however it did get quite busy and one morning we had to wait ages for our tea/coffee/toast to be brought to the table.

We didn't eat in the hotel on an evening but we did have drinks there and be warned they are expensive (£8.50 for a G&T), however there is a pub nearby that has a nice atmosphere and cheaper prices.

I would stay here again as it's easy to get to from Kings Cross, the breakfast really sets you up for the day, the staff are nice and the location for sightseeing is great.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Soft pillows
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Birmingham, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times on business. I stayed last week and was allocated room 139. The rooms are now looking really tired and not up to 4 star standard. As I looked around I would rate 2-3 stars at most. Very small room, even smaller wardrobe space and very small and old TV. What was even more unacceptable was the bathroom. The lavatory was in a corner position right against a wall. It was actually impossible to use as the washbasin was directly in front of it with its pedestal just 6 inches from the lavatory pan and the washbasin actually impeding any possible way of using the wc. To make matters worse, the whole room was so small that the only place for the towel rail was directly over the lavatory. Not ideal. I raised this with reception and was eventually offered another room on the 4th floor. The receptionist offered to show me the room and led the way to the lift. A piece of tape over the 4th floor button stating 'do not use' meant that we had to get out on the 3rd floor and walk up a floor. Similarly we were unable to access the lift from the 4th floor which was not really an issue as the offered room was not really worth the effort of moving. I used the lounge gents toilets for the duration of my stay.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

Room for the single room was tiny....paid 115 pounds a night for that, plus extra of 10 pounds an hour for late check out.
The room was okay....comfy bed, but everything else was small.

The only elevator in the hotel was not functioning the whole time I was there, so carrying my huge luggage up and down the narrow colonial stairs was quite a challenge.

Location was great though, 5 minutes walk to Gloucester road underground station. There's Tesco Express, Waitrose and Boots nearby, so getting daily needs is not a problem.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tiny bathroom and faulty Wifi system
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt? Share your experiences!