“Terrible for families, bad experience.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt

You added Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   68-86 Cromwell Road, | Kensington and Chelsea, London SW7 5BT, England (South Kensington)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #340 of 1,050 Hotels in London
“Terrible for families, bad experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We booked this stay for our son's 4th birthday as we were visiting the Natural History and Science Museum. The staff at the front desk were very welcoming and friendly, and the location for both museums is great.

However, the family room that we had booked was tiny and there was no space for the travel cot that we had requested (of which there was no sign of in the room anyway). We asked to be moved to another family room; the room we were given was no bigger but when we moved a small table and chairs we were able to create enough room for a travel cot, which still hadn't arrived - eventually arriving after we had made two phone calls to the front desk, followed by two further calls to request bedding for this (my daughter ended up using a sheet and a towel as a duvet as we were given a thick king size wool blanket when we asked for a quilt for the cot).

The room smelt of cooking, the windows did not open and the air con didn't work. So it was hot, smelly and stuffy! Add to that it was noisy as the air con generator was directly outside of our room. All made worse by the fact that there was no hot water at all in the room, and we had to use the shower in another room in the morning, which was at the opposite end of the corridor (so that's the 3rd room now, for an overnight stay)

A terrible experience in a hotel that is not at all suited for families.

• Stayed March 2013
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry, that you had such a poor experience in our hotel as which is very contrary to what most of our other guests have shared with me personally and on this forum. As this is the first I have heard of this incident, I am hoping you are able to contact me at the hotel (via reception) so that I can personally investigate this matter and reassure what a truly pleasant place this really is.

On a separate note, thank you for complimenting our staff - indeed, they are the heart and soul of this place.

I look forward to hearing from you.

The Vanderbilt Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as I had a business meeting in London and and booked myself a single room....it's a great hotel with great facilities and the staff are very good and take care of you! Room was excellent and yes it's small as most single rooms are in london, but that's expected so no moans or grumbles from me!

Will stay here again as location is excellent and right next to Gloucester road tube station.

• Stayed March 2013
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, which I and my team are delighted to recive. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciated the London trends with Single rooms and its limitation. Please allow me to share that we our rooms are considered to excellent 'value for money' making this your ideal base for London.

Biggleswade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I ran some courses for teachers at the hotel during March. They were incredibly helpful. They managed a gluten free delegate extremely well as they had not been told beforehand. Nothing was too much trouble, everything was delivered to the room on time and very professionally. There was an excess of good food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for such nice comments. I am glad that my team were able to cater to your special dietary requirement at such a short notice. I am sure you would agree that it is these small gestures that make our team and the hotel so special and popular amongst guests.

Regards, Kumar
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is my go-to hotel in London and I have stayed here on several occasions. The hotel is clean, the rooms are of decent size for London standards and the location is great. It is a two minute walk from Gloucester Road tube station and if you are up for it you can walk to the museums in the Kensington area, like the V&A, in about 10-15 mins. It is a great value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Your comments are just so great to hear! we are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you willl rejoin us on your next visits to London.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Staff are brilliant and bend over backwards to accomodate everyone. Having been a regular attending guest as part of a group of roughly 20 every week i can certainly say that the staff make the hotel and without them many of our meetings would not run as smoothingly. The hotel decour is amazing many different styles and an amazinf room where we meet which is the old library that has a magnificent ceiling murial. If any one was thignking about a lunch or a drink this hotel is perfect and is located in the right area to get to any.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such fine compliments. I am pleased that you and your colleagues have enjoyed our hospitality in the classic Vanderbilt Suite. Indeed, this room is one of the best meeting rooms in London and I hope you and your colleagues will rejoin us back on your next visit to London.

Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is a great hotel in a great, convenient location near the Gloucester Rd tube station. A great value [by London standards]. Rooms are a bit small, but that is to be expected. The only problem during the stay was that the lift near my room was out of service, and the only other one was at the far end of the hotel and very slow.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks a lot for such pleasant compliments which I have now shared with my team. I am pleased to confirm that we have 2 lifts in the hotel which are being refurbished at the moment - one at a time. This work is due to be completed by the end of May giving us two brand new lifts for our guests to use.
If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Peak District
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is one of the better Radissons' in London. Despite check-in being slow I was given a "business" king-size room facing to the rear. It's a real olde-worlde layout with lots of wood, narrow corridors, rooms hidden away etc - much more fun than modern hotels. The room was large and the bed was comfy and was everything I would expect from a 4 star hotel.

There are the usual questionable design features - the only lighting being spotlights in the ceiling that offer no ambience and are too bright to read with comfortably; IBIS style bottles of toiletries affixed to the wall all over the bathroom. I was also surprised to find a clear plastic hard back chair at the desk - this was too high to sit on and be able to put your legs under the desk - you think they'd check these basic things. There was also a fridge in the room that hummed and buzzed all night - this needed checking.

The other problem I had was the intermittent wi-fi that was almost impossible to use. You'd think if Radisson was to offer free wi-fi throughout the hotel they'd ensure it actually worked in all the rooms? It was awful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with a few aspects of your stay - mainly the slow check-in and the spot light style lighting. On the same note, I am pleased that you have taken time to compliment the staff, location and the general friendliness of our team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards, Kumar
The Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt? Share your experiences!