“Convenient, quiet location, very friendly staff, excellent food.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dukes Hotel

You added Dukes Hotel to your Saves list
Dukes Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 St. James's Place, London SW1A 1NY, England (St. James's)   |
Ranked #95 of 1,050 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“Convenient, quiet location, very friendly staff, excellent food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Love this place, and have for years. It's tucked out of the way of any traffic, but is just a stone's throw from St. James St, and then a few blocks to Jermyn Street or Piccadilly. Fantastic restaurant downstairs, and the bar may actually be as good as its reputation. I wouldn't know the full answer to that, as I've never been able to get in. I did have a few drinks brought to the salon next door, however, and the G&T was especially fine, even to this non-G&T drinker.

The downside? It's obviously of a certain period, which might be a problem for some people. Personally I don't mind, even though the layout is a little convoluted and the rooms are on the small side. The latter is what keeps the prices reasonable, and I don't need any more than they offer in that department.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I am not unused to small hotel rooms in central London. However, Dukes offers possibly the smallest of them all. The room was tiny, verging on the claustrophobic. Had the ambiance and decor been exceptional we could (almost) have overlooked the size - but the furniture was tired (scratched, shabby and nondescript) and the room itself was ridiculously hot. By the time we realised it was because the air con wasn't working it was already late at night and we didn't see much point in calling the engineer. With hindsight i wish we had as we both felt ill the next morning due to the heat of the room.
It is also worth mentioning that the door handles are a very strange affair - the bathroom door wouldn't shut unless it was locked, and the lock was very stiff. Several times I thought i was stuck in the bathroom until i just gave up trying to shut the door altogether.
The service is pleasant, as you would expect in a 5 star hotel. I ordered a martini at the lovely Dukes Martini Bar but it wasn't what i expected and I didn't like the taste - the staff swapped it immediately without any fuss and didn't charge for the first one. The concierge also provided excellent service.
Overall, I would say for the money paid (£200 via lastminute.com) for room only - which was little more than a box - there is far better value for money to be had in London. I've stayed at the Andaz and the St Pancras Renaissance for less money (including breakfast) and had service that was just as good (if not better) and far superior rooms. If all that matters is the St James location then of course Dukes is a good option. If not, and you're looking for a special room (as you should expect from a 5 star hotel) I would suggest there are better places to choose.

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have recently been invested with the British Empire Medal and my husband and I were invited to the Garden Party at Buckingham Palace. We decided to splash out and book Dukes Hotel. We were not disappointed; the room, the breakfast and the lovely staff made it a visit to remember.

Room Tip: Very quiet room at the back of the hotel
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We have stayed at Dukes several times over the last few years and really like its quiet, classic ambience.

The hotel is tucked away in a quiet courtyard which is deceptively central, within easy walking distance of Buckingham Palace and Picadilly.

The hotel has 90 rooms I believe but it's layout makes you feel as 'tho it has only a few as it is made up of two or three townhouses so it's a real warren of small corridors and staircases.

The rooms are compact, luxurious, well equipped and very clean. This visit our bathroom door wasn't closing properly. We advised reception on our way out and it was fixed by the time we returned a couple of hours later.

It was my Husbands 50th birthday during our stay and the hotel presented him with a card and a beautiful birthday cake - such a special touch.

Of course Dukes is famous for its bar which is very popular with residents and non-residents so reservations are recommended by the staff at check-in to avoid disappointment. We reserved a table for pre-dinner drinks so were seated ahead of the queue of those without reservations. We enjoyed an elaborately prepared martini and a well presented Hendrix Gin with delicious complimentary snacks. Not cheap but a great experience not to be missed when resident.

We didn't eat at the hotel this time.

Service was excellent with friendly and helpful staff across all areas.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Mauna Lani Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Tucked away on a small side street, off Picadilly. Charming the minute you walk in
Once an old house built in late 1800"s
Rooms are clean, however some need to updated.
Great attentive service.
Staff brings teas, water & apples during the day.
Excellent location near Hyde Park Tube, & walk a few minutes to the park itself.
Good restaurants nearby

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

We are simply thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the natural charm and ambience of DUKES LONDON. We truly are London’s hidden gem, located in the heart of Mayfair and within moments’ walk to Green Park.

Thank you for your wonderful words about your stay, I am delighted to hear that we delivered “great attentive service” and I know our team will be thrilled when I share with them your review.

We all look forward to welcoming you back with us once again and hope we will continue to be your London home for many years to come.

Kind Regards,

Houston, Texas, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After checking in tried to sample some of the fabulous martins that are raved about but after speaking to 3 bar staff was told that the only person who could assist was the manager who was serving cocktails to guests, eventually after 20 minutes I was told there wasn't any seats and I would have to join a queue behind several non residents!

Giving up on that option we returned to the hotel around 11,30pm and thought we would have nightcap but was told the lounge was closed but was directed to the drawing room where we were told someone would take our order, 45 minutes later after several prompts to reception we were asked for our preferences as long as they were limited to bottles of beer or wine!!! For a 5 star hotel in this location this is disgraceful service.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of DUKES LONDON, it is incredibly important to me that we truly listen to what you, our guest, are saying about our hotel and service delivery.

At DUKES we hang our hats on providing our guests with warm and genuine service and complete dedication to you, our guest. I am sorry to hear that we could not accommodate you in our DUKES Bar straight away, part of the charm of our DUKES Bar is its small and intimate surroundings therefore we do fairly welcome our patrons on a first come first served basis. I can appreciate your disappointment and do hope to assure you that we do our absolute best to accommodate our in-house guests, but I am sure you will appreciate that we do have space limitations.

Thank you once again for your consideration and please know that it is my genuine wish to welcome you back to DUKES LONDON in the future and so I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back with us soon.

Warm Regards,

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Last saturday we arrived at Dukes to have our afternoon tea there. I had made reservation well in advance straight with the hotel and luckily had my confirmation with me because when we arrived it was clear there was no reservation for us. The gentleman in reception checked all the papers and phoned the person I had emailed with but our reservation was lost. Luckily they had an empty table for us.
The room where they led us was very small and comfortable, just for our liking. The waiter quickly arranged our table and we were able to enjoy our afternoon tea. However nobody asked if we had any allergies or something. We don't but I would have asked if the ham sandwiches could be changed for salmon.
The sandwiches were very dry, perhaps they had been made early in the morning. The scones and jam were very good as were the lovely pastries. The pastries were the highlight of everything.
Service was ok, nothing special there. We had afternoon tea also at St. Ermins hotel and the waiter there was amazing! As was the whole experience. So overall we were a bit disappointed with Dukes.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with me and my team, your feedback is very much valued.

Whilst I was delighted to hear that you particularly enjoyed the charm and ambience of our elegant drawing room, naturally I was deeply disappointed to hear that we did not get your initial arrival right from the outset. I am truly sorry for this inexplicable delay in bringing you to your table, but I was thrilled to hear that Chef’s delicious pastries were such a highlight of your afternoon!

Thank you once again for your consideration and we all very much hope to welcome you both back with us in the future.

Kind Regards,

Debrah Dhugga

Been to Dukes Hotel? Share your experiences!