“Afternoon tea at Dukes” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dukes Hotel

You added Dukes Hotel to your Saves list
Dukes Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 St. James's Place, London SW1A 1NY, England (St. James's)   |
Ranked #91 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Helsinki, Finland
“Afternoon tea at Dukes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Last saturday we arrived at Dukes to have our afternoon tea there. I had made reservation well in advance straight with the hotel and luckily had my confirmation with me because when we arrived it was clear there was no reservation for us. The gentleman in reception checked all the papers and phoned the person I had emailed with but our reservation was lost. Luckily they had an empty table for us.
The room where they led us was very small and comfortable, just for our liking. The waiter quickly arranged our table and we were able to enjoy our afternoon tea. However nobody asked if we had any allergies or something. We don't but I would have asked if the ham sandwiches could be changed for salmon.
The sandwiches were very dry, perhaps they had been made early in the morning. The scones and jam were very good as were the lovely pastries. The pastries were the highlight of everything.
Service was ok, nothing special there. We had afternoon tea also at St. Ermins hotel and the waiter there was amazing! As was the whole experience. So overall we were a bit disappointed with Dukes.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Got a bargain price through Trivago. Smallish room slightly disappointing , but the charm of the hotel grew on us. Had to change rooms on day 1 because aircon not working but no problem there . Reserve a table in cocktail bar , its always full! Old school. Old money. But great!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for 1 night and the location is great and the staff were delightful, the hotel has a lovely old school feel about it and it is set in a beautiful and quiet square off St James Place. The room was a reasonable size, but I was disappointed there were not tea and coffee making facilities and no mirror close to the desk which made it difficult to dry your hair and see what you were doing.

Without doubt the jewel in the crown are the martini's and the delightful bar, all the spirits are kept in the freezer and they are brought out to you on a trolley and made in front of you - they are incredibly strong but also have some amazing combinations - try the white truffle martini. The hotel bar did seem to be full of Americans when we stayed who were quite loud in a small bar. The restaurant was also closed on Sunday's and they only serve canapés in the bar or sandwiches in the lounge so we ended up going out for dinner.

All in all a delightfully old school choice in the heart of London for a reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Guest,

I was simply thrilled to hear that you found our staff to be “delightful” and that you particularly loved our “old school feel”. DUKES LONDON was built over 100 years ago, and we absolutely cherish our heritage which we believe offers our guests a true experience and comfort of a country home in the city.

Our DUKES Bar really is the “jewel in the crown” of our hotel, and I know Alessandro and his team will be delighted to hear your wonderful words.

Thank you so much for your consideration and time sharing your experience with me and my team. We genuinely hope to see you return with us for many more years to come.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the Duke`s for a 6 day family vaccation and really enjoyed it. We got a complementary upgrade to a luxury room. The room was quite nice but with an additional bed in it, it was a little bit small. The reception manager was so kind to offer us another upgrade to a Junior Suite for a special rate. The Junior Suite was very nice, spacious and very comfortable. A Nespresso machine and daily complementary water was supplied in the room. I had expected some tea making facilities in room – especially in the UK. Probably that would have been provided if we had asked for it. On most mornings we were spoiled by a very nice breakfast. Artur lead us through the different kinds of egg benedict, egg royal... and gave us and the other guest a great start into the day. For one afternoon we booked a Duke`s Picnic in the Royal Parc. A very nice basket with wonderful food was fixed by the hotel and Artur showed us some very nice places in the Green Parc for the Picnic. It was just lovely and you should`t miss that. Be aware, that an additional service charge is added automaticaly, we were not aware about that in advance. But it was worth it and for sure we will have another picnic next time, if weather allows. Unfortunately there was not enough time for an afternoon tea in the hotel, so we just have to come back and try it the next time. We were suprised, that we were charged for mini bar items we hadn`t had, but they corrected it imediately. The staff in the hotel was very nice, helpful and friendly. The location of the hotel is just perfect, near St. James Palace.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent DUKES experience with others, I was simply thrilled to hear that you and the family enjoyed your time with us in London.

Warm and genuine service is exactly what we strive to provide our guests who stay at DUKES LONDON, and so your kind words about our team member Artur mean the absolute world to me. Artur is a fantastic ambassador of our service delivery and I know he will be so pleased when I share with him your comments.

Our DUKES team and I very much look forward to welcoming you all back with us in the near future.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I just completed my 33rd visit to Dukes over the last 10 or so years. Need I say more? It is like a second home. I cant imagine staying anywhere else in London. One day I will book a suite.
Bill
Hong Kong

Room Tip: The Martinis in the hotel bar are world class
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Debrah_Dhugga, Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Guest,

It is simply wonderful to hear such lovely words from you, our loyal guest. Thank you so much for your continued support of DUKES LONDON over the past decade; it is our genuine pleasure to welcome you home with us on each stay.

I very much hope to welcome you back personally on your next return to DUKES LONDON and I know all of our DUKES team will be thrilled to have you back with us once again.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was in London for business, and we were put up at this hotel. How lucky was I to learn about Dukes Hotel! It's down a little lane, so it's not likely you'd stumble upon the hotel if you weren't looking for it. But it's worth finding it! It's totally charming, with modern rooms. The staff was wonderful. Walking distance to lots of sights and shopping areas. I have already recommended it to lots of people. And it's the place I'll stay on my next trip to London.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at DUKES LONDON with me and my team. The very best feedback we could ever ask for from our guests is when they personally recommend us to others and I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay.

The team and I at DUKES truly look forward to welcoming you back to your London home from home on your next visit to the capital.

Kind Regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Usually stays here when in London for business. There are other more modern and luxury hotel for sure, but I like the charm of this small hotel. Main downside is that rooms are a bit noisy. Nice bar for quality coctails. Great location in MayFair.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are simply thrilled to hear that you feel very much at home when staying with us at DUKES LONDON and your continued loyalty and support means the world to me and my team.

DUKES LONDON really is somewhere rather special and I was so delighted to hear how much you love the charm of our period property as well as our world famous DUKES Bar.

We all look forward to welcoming you back with us once again and hope we will continue to be your London home for many years to come.

Kind Regards,

Debrah Dhugga

Been to Dukes Hotel? Share your experiences!