“Fantastic manicure in health club” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dukes Hotel

You added Dukes Hotel to your Saves list
Dukes Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 St. James's Place, London SW1A 1NY, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Ranked #78 of 1,065 Hotels in London
London
“Fantastic manicure in health club”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I did not stay in the hotel but had been brought a Shellac manicure in the health club - what a treat - one of the best manicures I have had and carried out by the lovely Sangeeta. I will make a point of booking in whenever I am going to be in London.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
I would like to thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased that even with just a brief visit, you were able to experience our special atmosphere. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Debrah Dhugga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Ankara, Ankara, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Hotel's location was very convenient, Piccadilly Circus was in 10 minute walking distance, there are several restaurants close to hotel. Hotel staff was great,we did enjoy our stay in Dukes London and will be staying in this hotel when we will visit London again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Our team is working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes London in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location for exploring the landmarks and shopping highlights, easy pleasant walk to West End theatres. Staff especially concierge Ian and reception Jasmine were particularly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Room 109 is fairly large, king size bed, and quiet despite being somewhat close to the lift and stairs. Only reason for a 4 instead of a 5 rating pertains to the bathroom...no makeup/shaving mirror, dim lighting, loud fan, can hear water flushing though when water is in use upstairs. These items could be rectified quickly.

Large inviting public rooms were welcome. Jasmine gave us a wonderful tour of them. The bar is intimate, inviting and has great nibbles.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our Luxury Boutique Hotel. The team and I are truly thrilled that you enjoyed our location, the beautifully decorated public areas and personalised service that our team strive to achieve on a daily basis.

However I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your bathroom. If you had mentioned this to the front desk they would have discussed this with our maintenance team and I am sure we would have been able to resolve your issues such as placing higher wattage light bulbs in the bathroom and provide you with a mirror for the bathroom.

Additionally I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our fabulous Cocktail bar we work hard in order to ensure that DUKES London has one of Londons best hotel and bar expereinces. Upon booking for your next stay with us at DUKES LONDON please do not hesitate to contact me, I would be delighted to see you back at DUKES.

Yours sincerely

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

It's tough to be too critical of a hotel that actually delivered to our room a cake on the eve of my birthday. But if you think this hotel is worthy of five stars, I would respectfully suggest that you don't get out enough. Dukes has been called by some reviewers the best hotel in London. I don't agree, but it’s not that they don't try. We checked into what we thought was a superior room...it was tiny. Within two minutes, the phone rang and the manager asked if all was well with the room...it's a bit small, we said, do you have anything larger? Let me see, madam, was the reply, but we did already automatically upgrade you on a complimentary basis by one category, (which I had not asked them to do, but I hate to think what the smaller room looked like.) So for an additional 150 pounds a night, bringing our tariff to about 510 pounds per night, we were upgraded to a junior suite, which was STILL small. Worse, it looked into the office block across the way...it was so close, I could almost read what the workers keyed in on their computer screens. I figured if we could see them, they could see us, so we kept our curtains closed most of the time. The twin beds in the room, which had been pushed together to form a king, were reasonably comfortable...except for the ridge down the middle where the two beds were joined. The bathroom had no electric sockets (that I could find) for a hair dryer. The bathroom was fairly tight...you could not sit on the loo with the door open, not that you should anyway, I suppose. The wifi was the most annoying aspect...it took a number of steps to log in every time we used it, which they blamed on UK law, but it was a mystery to us, as we used wifi easily everywhere in London but here.

Now for the property at large. It's fine. It's clean. It's quaint. The public spaces are really not great and the “garden” is silly. All are scaled for very little people. The Friday night we tried to have drinks in the tiny, overly warm bar, it was jammed with locals, and the head waiter directed us to sit in an empty salon elsewhere in the hotel where it took 20 minutes to get drinks. Three of us had sparkling water and one had wine...not very exciting, but the bill presented for my signature was 55 pounds, obviously a mistake that I had to rectify. Mistakes happen, but sloppiness like that was not an exception. An outside caller was told twice that we weren't registered. We were handed the wrong room key, which we discovered only when we got upstairs when we could not use it in the lock in our door. The old-fashioned elevator didn't work very well...if the gate wasn't firmly closed, it didn't move, so to summon it the staff had to run to another floor to firmly close the gate and send it on its way. We were never told at check-in that breakfast was included in our rate, so we ate in twice and then ate out. The local map created and provided by the hotel was actually inaccurate (one of the Japanese restaurants was in the wrong place on the map), resulting in some difficulties in finding our restaurant, which was a terrible choice anyway—it was an expensive version of a Benihana.

All this being said, there were also efforts quite worthy of praise at Dukes. Front desk staff was always polite and greeted us by name. Doormen were always willing to get us a taxi when we needed one. Desk staff knew when we were departing and had a checklist of things to ask us...from wake-up calls to a time for the taxi to the airport. They never missed a wake-up call. Housekeeping was excellent. Staff was always very quick to answer a request for ice. The concierge patiently tried to accommodate our multiple requests for assistance...he was not very successful, but in all fairness, we left our own planning too late. The health club was adequate.

To be honest, I am not fond of these little London hotels (the Egerton is an exception) that are like rabbit warrens...narrow little hallways leading to tiny rooms. Some people like the charm factor. I just find them uncomfortable. I didn’t do my research carefully enough, so I take the blame on that count. Most of my negative comments have to do with the property. The staff members really had their hearts in the right place.

In closing, lest you think that the tariff for such an experience is high at 510 pounds a night...which, with the exchange rate, is pricy...it was, on a comparative basis, a pretty good deal. We checked the rack rates at some other local hotels in St James and Mayfair, and Dukes was the best rate of them all for a room of this size. So if you like the incredibly convenient location, a tiny/small hotel doesn't bother you, you like sometimes flawed personal attention, and you don't want to spend a fortune, Dukes might work well for you. I don’t think we would stay there, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience of DUKES LONDON. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location, small personal touches provided to you during your stay and the excellent personalised service provided by our team.

I was highly disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with your room, view and facilities offered. As we are a Small Boutique hotel and a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World we endeavour to keep our guests happy. I understand the fact that perhaps Small Boutique hotels such as Dukes Hotel and some of our neighbours are not to your liking. We do however have a variety of different room types and styles from Dukes Rooms through to our Penthouse, traditional through to contemporary. Perhaps on a future stay you would prefer our Penthouse or Deluxe Suites which range from 60 – 72 metres squared. Concerning our complimentary internet service regarding the password it is a safety protocol introduced in order to ensure compliance with UK law. I have discussed your requests with our Concierge department and I have been informed that the only requests they were unable to fulfil were tickets to The Duchess of Malfi which had a high demand over the period of time you were staying with us but we understand that you mentioned more of your plans could have been done in advance so we are grateful for your understanding and are sorry. In reference to the bar it is highly popular however we do endeavour to seat as many of our guests as possible with little delay.

As a direct result of your comments our Operations Manager, Emilie Polastron, emiliepolastron@dukeshotel.com, would really like to discuss your experience with you and rectify any issues you may still have. If you could please provide us with a telephone number and we will be in touch.

Kind Regards

Redhill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This Hotel is now the only one we would stay in, when in London.
We have stayed in small luxury hotels before and we loved it here, you really feel at home but totally looked after by the wonderful staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much. We always aim to provide a home from home for all of our guests and to exceed expectations. We are all delighted to hear that we succeeded! I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Dukes Hotel for five days Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 3, 2014. We thoroughly enjoyed everything about the hotel. The room was very comfortable and attractive, and the public rooms are especially charming. The service was especially outstanding and personalized. The staff all remembered us each time we saw them and made it a priority to make us feel like special guests. We also enjoyed the pleasant location in Mayfair which allowed us to get to many of the sites, restaurants, theatres, and shops either by walking or through easy access to buses or the underground.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank for you taking the time to share your views. It’s lovely to hear the team looked after you so well. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes London in the near future.

Hamburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Having lived in England for three years and travelled the USA for more than 20 years there is one thing that still annoys me in the anglo-american world like on the very first day: the omni-present noise of electrical fans in hotels. You cannot find a room in urban surroundings that is not polluted with the shrieking, humming, throbbing and rattling sound of air conditioning devices and other gadgets of this kind. The Dukes, alas, is no exception. We first had been assigned a room that made my noise-sensitive ears cringe and beg for mercy - and the wonderful staff found me (at midnight!) a room more to my liking (not as quiet as you would expect on the European mainland, but for anglo-american standards it was quite ok). Apart from this hiccup (and I hope it is obvious by now that I might be more noise-conscious than most of my fellow travellers) the Dukes is a superb place to stay. Perfect location, immaculately clean rooms and the most pleasant and helpful members of staff you could think of. If you want to stay in London, try the Dukes!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 302, if you don't like the noise from fans. Room 505 and 305 are not as nois...