“First class service in quiet, central location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dukes Hotel

You added Dukes Hotel to your Saves list
Dukes Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 St. James's Place, London SW1A 1NY, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Ranked #80 of 1,066 Hotels in London
London
“First class service in quiet, central location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We enjoyed delightful service from start to finish, we were shown to our room and given a guided tour of the hotel by the charming receptionist. There are many interesting reception rooms and bars at this excellent hideaway in the heart of London. We had a lovely room with a very comfortable bed, and would highly recommend a stay here for those who want to be a the heart of everything without the hustle and bustle of the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here as it was one of the few hotels available at a reasonable price at the last minute. Boy was I surprised when I saw the room. It was really spacious, had a beautiful (almost antique) table with four chairs around it plenty of wardrobes and lovely classic bathroom. I did have to think to myself, mayb e I got upgraded and the staff forgot to tell me. The staff were great and checkin/out went very smoothly. My only annoyance was that there wasn't a price list in the room. Apart from that it was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've stayed there twice. The hotel has a certain charm, very classic and cosy, typical of what can expect about classic english style.
Staff is very good. Room Service fast, which is becoming very rare.
Rooms could be a bit refurbished.
The only negative thing I have to say is about the heating system. It is not a central heating system but uses the AC system. Thus it's not as efficient, and very noisy. I had to switch it of in order to sleep, and woke up freazy... This is a big negative point! A heavier and warmer duvet would do!
Otherwise it is a very good place to stay, very well located. I'd still recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I reserved a "Luxury" room and asked for a quiet one. I was put in a lower class of room and it wasn't quiet. In fact, the employee elevator was right on the other side of my bed and the employee closets (where they keep supplies) abutted my room. I was awakened three mornings in a row at about 4 a.m. That isn't what I'd call hospitality.

Reading some other reviews I wonder if it's the same hotel. Here's a clue: a bunch of the recent reviews are from people who have never posted on tripadvisor before. This is their first and only review. What would Sherlock Holmes deduce?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
StellaDepietri, Front Office Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at DUKES LONDON.

The team and I were disappointed to learn that we did not meet all your expectations entirely.
If at any point during your stay you had mentioned that your sleep was disrupted we would have been more than willing to offer you another room type in another part of the hotel as our team endeavor to ensure a pleasant nights rest as many of our recent guests have experienced on our soft lovely mattresses!

As a direct result our Operations Manager, would really like to discuss your experience with you directly and rectify any issues you may have.

If you could please provide us with your contact details and we will be in touch.
Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Kind Regards
Stella Depietri
Reception & Reservations Manager
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Staying at Dukes is like being a guest in a sumptuous London townhouse. The rooms are all on a (grand) domestic scale, and the staff competently and warmly meet your every expectation. The decor is luxurious but very under stated, and the amenities are extensive. A wonderful new restaurant has recently been added. All of this and the best cocktail lounge in town with the best Martinis in the world make Dukes the place to stay in London!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My family and friends regularly stay at Dukes Hotel when visiting me in London. The hotel is tucked away in a windy little road a few paces from Green Park, which makes getting around very easy. It's a quiet refuge from the bustle of central London, where timeless charm will make you feel completely at ease, but leave no doubt that you are staying in a first rate hotel.

A few weeks ago I celebrated my birthday, and with a horde of friends descending on my flat, I decided to decamp to Dukes as a special birthday treat. I couldn't have asked for more. The hotel greeted me with a fabulous room, delicious birthday cake, and tea in bed the next morning!

Stay at Dukes if you want to really impress your partner, or are looking for a quiet, relaxing stay in London in perfect surroundings. You will not find anything flash or loud in the hotel, but a quiet, timeless charm which permeates everything, from the doorman, the design of the rooms and public spaces, to the excellent housekeeping and catering staff.

Oh, and they also have a very good bar serving the perfect martini...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Lovely, quiet location with small but attractive rooms, charming breakfast restaurant with attentive wait staff. However, if you are looking for knowledgable, concierge service while in London, you have the wrong hotel. The front desk people are pleasant but utterly ignorant about making restaurant reservations, current theatre bookings and assisting with your travel plans. As a staff member expressed to me, "everybody uses their own cell phone for this information anyway." Not so, in my opinion, and the high prices of their rooms should include a trained staff - I have had better help at a Holiday Inn. My first room was boiling hot, but the staff was attentive and did mov me to another room at midnight. When I called the front desk for service from my room during regular business hours, there was no answer on the telephone so I went down to the lobby myself, whereupon the gentleman informed me that he was on another line and that I would have to wait. One staff member to answer the phone for the entire hotel? Hope you don't have an emergency. I make frequent visits to London but will be staying elsewhere from now on. PS: Also, their darned scented candles throughout the lobby are insufferable!

Room Tip: The regular room is tiny.