“Fantastic centrally placed hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cavendish London

You added The Cavendish London to your Saves list
The Cavendish London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Jermyn St | St. James's, London SW1Y 6JF, England (St. James's)   |
Special Rate
Free bottle of champagne
Ranked #105 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fantastic centrally placed hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My friend and I treated ourselves to a weekend break and chose this hotel due to the short distance to the theatre we were going to. We were thrilled with our choice.
The staff were all very friendly and professional, even the cleaners were chatty and pleasent.
The room was spacious and immaculately clean. There was a good selection of teas coffee and biscuits to enjoy in the room . White stuff toiletries were also provided.
The breakfast was superb with hot and cold choices either from the buffet or specialities to order at no extra charge.
We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just stayed 10 nights here.. So glad we chose this hotel! Located on quiet Jermyn St., perfect location close to Picadilly Sq. and Green Park tube stations. Easy walk to Soho, Buckingham, Victoria Station. Several excellent coffee houses located nearby and a Tesco within a minute's walk.
Room was nice size, huge bathroom, incredible view of City of London, extremely comfortable King bed. Plus coffee and espresso maker right in our room.
Staff was very friendly, efficient and helpful at all times.

Will definitely look here first when I return to London.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I just got back from a week staying at the Cavendish. The location can not be beat! You are in the center of everything and a brief walk, tube stop or taxi ride away from anywhere you might want to visit. My room, a superior double was comfortable,nicely decorated with a sensational view of the London Eye. There was a hot water pot with tea and instant coffee available which was a great plus in the am and coming home from a long day of sight seeing. The staff was kind and helpful. Going out at anytime of day was fun and exciting, lots of people,shops and restaurants I felt completely safe day and night.
The only glitch I experienced was an offer upon check in of a complimentary breakfast. When I arrived the next morning I was told I was not on the list, but they would sort it out and to please go in. A manager approached me in the dining room saying I indeed was not on the list and would be charged, making for an awkward experience I felt could have been handled in a more gracious manner, since it had been offered to me and I had not requested it. So be advised and check. Beyond that all was well!

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We have stayed at the cavendish numerous times over the years, and have always been very satisfied. Pleasant staff, comfortable rooms, excellent food, helpful advice, very central. Fully recommend.
J & C

Room Tip: Top floor, good views
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We have stayed at The Cavendish before and enjoy it's prime location. Rooms are comfortable but can be noisy from numerous air conditioning units at the back of the hotel where rooms look out onto.
Breakfast on the first day was very disappointing as it seems this hotel cannot fry eggs. I asked for 'over easy' and they came as fried bullets first and second time they were very runny. Why can no one fry an egg? Staff were pleasant and helpful and overall we had a good stay.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Minchinhampton, null, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We had experienced a wonderful stay at the Cavendish when it was a De Vere's hotel - and were very disappointed upon our return.
My husband had booked 2 nights at the Cavendish for my birthday weekend. We arrived at approx 8pm on a Friday night to find the road closed due to gas works. There were several holes in the road that were fenced off, but no sign of any ongoing works.
At check in, we were not alerted to the possibility of any imminent work starting.
At approx 1am, the jack hammer started. We were on the 6th floor but were facing the roadworks that carried on for at least 1.5 hours until exhaustion kicked in and I fell asleep again.
We spoke to reception and voiced our disappointment at the worst nights sleep we have ever had in any hotel in any country. The receptionist was well rehearsed with cute rhetoric and simply retorted 'what would you like me to do?'. She said more than once that it was an emergency gas leak that was not her fault - of course it wasn't - however, the hotel were clearly aware of the incident and the impending disruption at least the day before and chose not to alert us either before our stay commenced, or at check in. Nor did they make the decision to relocate anyone from the rooms overlooking the site to another quieter part of the hotel.
We were so shattered, that we had to miss planned events that afternoon to return to the hotel for a much needed nap. Unfortunately this lasted 20 mins due to housekeeping slamming doors repeatedly up and down the landing.
There was also no turn down service, which is standard at this level of hotel and the lack of any mini-bar is most odd.
We did have a drink in the bar and have to say I was served a very poor attempt at a margarita .
At check-out the hotel hat decided that 10% discount on one night was the appropriate level of apology for such a bad nights sleep. My husband clearly just wanted to pay the bill and not ruin my birthday. I made it clear that this was the case and that I found the 10% offer insulting and if it hadn't been my actual birthday that day, I would have happily wasted more of my time discussing this. The receptionist wished me a happy birthday and said Friday night had been a 'shame'.
Overall, I found the stay utterly disappointing - we will not be recommending the Cavendish in the future and I hope the management do the honourable thing and contact us in the very near future with a more suitable retrospective discount on our bill.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights & had a fantastic stay. We had planned to drop our bags off on arrival as we were quite early to check in but we're pleasantly surprised that our room was ready. The check in process was quick & simple, and the concierge & reception staff helpful & friendly.

Our room was on the 7th floor & very comfortable. Although it was small it was laid out well & felt bigger than it was. At no point did we get in each other's way or walk into furniture. There was a small fridge to keep our own items in & we requested fresh milk to use with the tea/coffee facilities.

The bathroom was surprisingly big & it was a pleasant shower. A lot of places we've stayed at had problems at peak times with water pressure but we didn't experience anything like that here.

The location was perfect, in between Green Park & Piccadilly Circus tube stops. It was safe enough to walk at night as there are main roads around you. There is also a small supermarket, plenty of cafes & shops in the area.

We also experienced some outside noise in the middle of our first night, as commented by other reviews, but with such a central location it has to be expected. We did not have the problem the next night & never heard any internal noise from guests next door or in the corridor.

We did not use the bar or restaurant as we met with friends in the evening but breakfast both mornings was good. The fruit was fresh & ripe, the pastries crisp & flaky & there is a wide selection of cereals. There is a hot menu you can choose from to have freshly prepared dishes (included in the price) or a hot buffet.

We would definitely stay at The Cavendish again for the service, location & facilities.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Neil B, General Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear elaineann10,

Thank you very much for your great review and we are delighted to hear that you would stay with us again because of the service and our great location. I know the Concierge and reception team team will be very happy with your comments about the service you received.

We hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Best regards

Neil

Been to The Cavendish London? Share your experiences!