“Love this hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cavendish London

Save Saved
You added The Cavendish London to your Saves list
The Cavendish London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Jermyn St | St. James's, London SW1Y 6JF, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Offers & Announcements
£189* Champagne Getaway
Ranked #78 of 1,054 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
omaha
“Love this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I love this hotel... The only thing I would change is: they really should offer free wireless. They do have wireless at tea.

The things I love about the Cavendish:
Wonderful location
Spacious room
Bathroom.... Love love love the soaking tub and separate shower with decent water pressure.
Loved the spa robes and slippers
Love the Nespresso and cookies ( biscuits)
Loved their tea service
Loved the breakfast, especially the endless salmon on the buffet
Loved our view , I think we were on the 12th floor if I remember correctly
Mattress was comfortable
Decor was lovely

I don't want to stay anywhere else

Room Tip: We had an executive king and I'd recommend. Ask for a high floor facing the London eye.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear OmahaKwatts,

Thank you very much for your excellent review. We are delighted that you like so many things about that the hotel and are very proud that you don't want to stay anywhere else.While we don't offer free WiFi in the bedrooms we have recently just upgraded our broadband to 100Mb to ensure our guests have the best connection possible, but as you have mentioned we do offer complimentary WiFi in all public areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Extremely comfortable penthouse suite, lovely staff and incredible views!
everyone was friendly and very helpful with any queries, my family and i also felt that the room was exceptional value for money considering that you had stunning views across london, you can see all the important sites from the bathroom window!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Ben D,

Thank you very much for your great review. I am delighted that you had such a great stay and that you really liked the Penthouse suite on the 15th Floor and mentioning the stunning views from the room.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at The Cavendish whilst celebrating my birthday in London with friends. I had an excellent rate for room and breakfast, and I was given a birthday card and cake in my room. I was on the 14th floor and had excellent views over London towards the Shard, St. Paul's and the city. Service was fantastic and staff were friendly and helpful. The location is perfect- right on Piccadilly and close to the Underground. I couldn't have asked for a better stay, and fully intend to book again to stay at The Cavendish when I am next in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher levels when you book or on arrival!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear LauraED88,

Thank you very much for your great review. Happy belated birthday! I hope you had a great time celebrating in London. I am delighted that you said you couldnt have had a better stay and that you will stay again. We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate another special occasion.

Burradoo, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The title really sums up why this review rates three stars, despite being in a prime central London position.

Having stayed at the Cavendish many years ago on a weekend break, and enjoyed it, we booked for five nights between flying into London and departing for a Mediterranean cruise out of Rome.

Let's get the good parts out of the way first. The staff are excellent in the main: polite and cheerful. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed comfortable, the location - just behind Fortnums - couldn't be better, the TV has a great, pin sharp picture (unlike many 5 star hotels!) and the air conditioning works well.

So far, so good.

The problem I have is that we booked a superior double, which turned out to be TINY - and I mean TINY. Several of the five nights were priced differently, with two at £325, and frankly for that money I would expect a room at least large enough to set down one's suitcases. But, with one wall curved to make the window wall barely wide enough to cope with a writing desk, we had to spend an hour rearranging furniture in order to place the luggage. One case had to go on a chair, one on the small coffee table and the cabin bags were shoved into whatever space was left. Getting from the bed to the bathroom then involved a shin-scraping shuffle through 12 inch gaps. Superior room? I think not.

Another gripe is becoming more common in hotels: an automatic-charging fridge. Although one can tell the front staff that you've temporarily taken a bottle or two out to keep your own milk fresh, the operating gubbins mean that it's no mean feat to use the cool box.

And the bathroom! No change from our last visit some ten years ago: all very modern, minimalist - and user unfriendly! From basin taps (faucets, for those cousins from across the seas) that appear to function only as spears when you bend down brushing your teeth, to shelving that is so small as to make finding somewhere to put the toothbrush a task too much to bath furniture designed to bruise and batter - you get the picture. I have to confess that this sort of thing is a bit of a hobbyhorse, but I do get fed up with everyday items that have functioned for centuries being "designed" out of usability! The Scandinavians are particularly good at ruining the usability of items like taps, cutlery and so on by making them "pretty". But maybe that's just me.

To sum up: a clean, modern - too modern, in some respects - hotel in a great position, with helpful staff but spoiled mainly by, in our case, a comically small room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Wol747,

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you felt that the staff were excellent as we believe that they are the key to all of our success and I will be sure to pass on your excellent comments to the team.

Thank you for the comments on the bathroom, while at this point we are not able to make those changes I can assure you that we keep all of our guests comments and refere to them whenever we make any changes.

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Perfect location right near Piccadilly Circus where you can find entertainment, the "tube", and several great shops and restaurants. The breakfast here is quite nice and is included in your stay if you desire. Not you typical American "included" breakfast with locally sourced products with an emphasis on sustainability. Hotel staff is very pleasant and the concierge staff really has some top notch information on the city and where to go. Richard was the best. Stayed here for about two weeks and really have nothing but great things to say about this property. Rooms are a bit small but definitely adequate, laundry service is available but very expensive. Would definitely stay here again and really enjoyed it. The afternoon tea service is a must, don't miss it. Great way to unwind from a long day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Ivgoliath,

Thank you very much for your great review. I know that all the staff will be very happy with your comments especially Nitin our Head Chef and Richard. I will be sure to pass on your excellent comments.

We hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

scarborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed 2 nights over New's Eve , Even though the hotel was full the service from the staff was great , Breakfast was fantastic .
Enjoyed our stay so much have arranged a stay again in September .
We found it so central and yet quiet on a night time resulting in a good night's sleeep .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear ScarboroughYorkie, Thank you very much for your great review. I am very happy to hear that you had such a good stay and that you felt our staff were great as we know they are the most important part of our business. I know that the Nitin our Head Chef will be delighted at your comment about breakfast.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in September.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

While the room I booked was small (I had expected it) it was nicely furnished and the hotel was very smartly decorated. Step out the door straight into St james and easy walk to many attractions. Only stayed 1 night but I was very happy with the hotel and would return for the location and value for money for that standard hotel in that area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you very much for the great review. I am delighted that you had such a good stay and that you liked the location.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Cavendish London? Share your experiences!