“Pubic hair on the toilet seat” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cromwell Crown Hotel

You added Cromwell Crown Hotel to your Saves list
Cromwell Crown Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   139 - 141 Cromwell Road, London SW7 4DX, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #807 of 1,049 Hotels in London
“Pubic hair on the toilet seat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Please don't book here! Do not waste your money! I called reception and asked to be relocated as first room was filthy and tiny (had booked a 'spacious, newly refurbished room', not a cupboard with a 3/4 bed and a wardrobe where you couldn't open the doors more than half way because the bed was there...). I was told I could transfer rooms providing I went to reception and swapped key cards, no apology. The second room had pubic hair on the toilet seat and again was filthy, stained sheets, filthy windows, An old radiator bracket bent and sticking out of the wall, really sharp edges. I explained all of this to a male staff member, who said it was not his fault. I then spoke to Federica at reception, she said 'that's just our standards'. I had no apology at all, am yet to receive my refund. I said I wanted to speak to the manager and she replied 'he doesn't work weekends, I'm not allowed to call him'. So to sum it up, pubic hair in 'clean' rooms is their standards, staff were very rude and need serious work on their complaint handling skills. Oh and the cleaner needs sacking.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

No one was at reception when I arrived. Had to call the reception on mobile so someone eventually came.

Air conditions/heating system broke. I couldn't adjust the temperature when I arrived so was so hot!

Fire alarm went off whilst having a shower due to lack of ventilation in room so you must ensure you shut the bathroom!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed there just for one night, and it was far from being the most pleasant experience.
The room was below ground level, and the view from the window was a wall with a scaffolding, no sunlight coming in the room. The room seemed to be next to some staff offices, which meant there was quite a lot of "traffic" just outside, and the walls were so damn thin that I could hear everything going on, really annoying.
The pillows were also so thin, it was ridiculous ! I wouldn't even call them pillows...
The double bed was basically two single beds pushed together with a double bed duvet, but you couldn't lie in the middle; the edge of the single beds was very hard which made it really uncomfortable.
The noise once you switch on the bathroom light was just terrible as well.
Wifi isn't available in the rooms, you have to go near the reception to use it !
And last but not least, poor customer service. When I handed my pass in the morning to check out, the girl at reception barely looked at me, took the card, then without looking at me said "it's done", and waited for me to leave without saying good bye.
Definitely the worst hotel experience I've had so far ! I had booked it because it was one of the cheapest available and I didn't want to spend too much, but I think next time I'll spend the extra few quid for a more decent hotel.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Uckfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Incredibly bad for the money we paid. Curtains were hanging off the rail so didn't close properly, letting in all the light from passing traffic. Walls so thin you can hear neighbouring rooms turn their light switch on. 1 pillow each that was so thin it may as well have just been the pillow case. Asked for extra pillows at reception and they said they didn't have any.
The worst thing was the SMELL in the bathrooms. Upon arrival it smelt like off-milk, over powering and made you gag - reported to reception immediately but nothing was done in the 2 nights we were there. Staff were polite, but far from welcoming or helpful.
Appreciate the hotel is in central London, a city that doesn't sleep, but the noise from the road meant you could not sleep. Radiators on full blast and couldn't open the window due to the noise, caused for a very stuffy & restless nights sleep.
The fire door leading into the corridor had no closing mechanism so slams at all hours as people come home from a night out. Thin walls and doors mean you hear everything.
Room was tiny and double bed was pushed up against the window which doesn't help for noise.
Will never be going back and even as a last resort would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't. If you have to stay here, ask for a room at back of the hotel away from the road. Take...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
staffs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked this hotel based on the location and the price. We on,y needed one night and somewhere close to the natural history museum so booked it- family room for 4 people for £87. After reading the negative comments flying in I was in two minds whether to book the Marriott instead but at £190 plus I couldn't get a refund on this I decided one night is one night.

Arrival
On arrival we needed parking. We called ahead but the receptionists did not know if any local parking we could use. Google suggested an NCP that we couldn't find so we parked at the Marriott for £35 for 24 hours. The other prices were similar too. Check in was quick but they needed the booking reference number so take it with you!!
We headed to our basement room - b1. The bannister was a bit dodgy and there was dirty laundry outside the room but it didn't bother me that much.

The room
To enter the room it was a swipe card. We tried for ages to get in - remember to swipe the card over the three blue dots not the black bit.
The room was lovely. Modern, clean and spacious. There was nothing to complain about really. Two double beds and a sIngle. A modern bathroom but my problem with this was that it flooded really easily when In the shower or bath. The roo. Was quite noisy for us but we come from a rural village and not used to traffic noises. Probably not any louder than people who live on a main road somewhere. The bed was ok. Not the best and certainly not the worst.

Breakfast
We decided ti lay for breakfast to save hassle but it was t worth the money we paid. £8 each for adults and £6 for kids I think. We had between us
Cooked english which was plain and simple but lacking in flavour
Omelette which was way too thick
pancakes - thumbs up from kids
Fruit and juice with tea and coffee.

Check out
Easy, handed card over and that was it.

Wifi was only suppose to work In the lobby but it worked in my room. The code was on the wall in reception. There was a sainsburys opposite if you needed anything and we were 5 minutes form Gloucester road tube.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2015

Terrible hotel! For the price I paid I was expecting the Ritz but I always wasn't expecting to turn up in a hotel where the toilet and shower flushed out of the drain located on the bathroom floor!
I am pregnant and travelling with Young children so being exposed to raw sewerage was really dangerous!
Hotel is so noisy! Even if you report this to the hotel they do nothing at all about it!!!! Their customer service is shocking! I've written a letter of complaint! They have offered me £18 refund! How offensive! We cut our trip to London short due to me feeling unwell after staying there! I am never one to moan but this was literally the worst hotel I've ever stayed!

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Reykjavik, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

Staff ostensibly uninterested in their customers which makes you quite uneasy and that probably works fine for them as their repellent bearing did not encourage us to seek them out for advice or assistance. Only one ridiculously eccentric TV station ("Yesterday"). Promising a TV in the rooms is not even a half truth, as people obviously expect to be able to use/enjoy the TV. Saying that there is a TV does not just mean that the appliance is there like a part of the wallpaper. Be aware that check-out is at 10 am but check in at 3 pm which is inexplicable - do they need five hours to prepare these tiny rooms that barely fit the few pieces of furniture squeezed therein? In spite of the ample time to prepare rooms we were unpleasantly surprised to walk in on a strange plainly clothed man in our room when we returned there one time as the hotel had found it necessary to use the one whole day we had the room (we stayed for 2 nights) to have a repair man fix two lights that were broken when we arrived. Why not do that while the rooms are being prepared in between visitors? Also, tiny rooms cramped together in short halls or stamp-sized landings, thin walls and doors, so loud guests were exceptionally annoying and we had no reason to expect the bored staff to help us out with that. Flimsy unsecure doors, impossible to close without making a noise. Uncomfortable bed gave us both a backache. Bearly a hotel. Much better to book a decent hotel away far from the center; longer commute, but same price and you don't go home with lousy memories.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Cromwell Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!