“All in all satisfying!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vancouver Studios

Save Saved
You added Vancouver Studios to your Saves list
Vancouver Studios
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Prince's Square | Bayswater, London W2 4NJ, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #156 of 1,073 hotels in London
Stockholm, Sweden
“All in all satisfying!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We booked this hotel on HRS.com just shortly before we traveled to London and got it for a very fair price, especially as London is a very expensive city.

Firstly, the location of the hotel is quite good, it's in a quite area near to Hyde Park and is not far away from a tube station. The welcoming was friendly, but to our surprise the room was in the basement, where it said: "No entrance!", which was obviously kind of shocking for us in the very first moment. But, it turned out to be a very nice, big room that even had a small kitchen. Everything was clean and prepared, so we didn't have to complain.

The only thing that didn't really work out was the breakfast that we ordered for the next morning. It didn't appear, although we had already paid for it. After some discussion at the reception and a short phone call we solved the problem and got our money for the breakfast back.

All in all, the hotel is really fine for a short trip to London! If you get a room with discount on HRS.com or another booking website, please be aware that you also might get the room in the basement or you have to call the hotel before booking a room.

Room Tip: Booking on a booking website with discount might lead to a room in the basement, which is maybe not...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed in London, at the Vancouver Studios, for eight nights over Thanksgiving week, 2012. The hotel was a great value. Location was near three Tube stops (Bayswater, Queensway and 15-min walk to Paddington) and we also enjoyed browsing around Whiteleys at day's end, a 3-story mall just down the street. My daughter and I had two twin beds, just up one flight of stairs. The room was small, but the tiny kitchen was the best feature. I had fresh coffee (New Orleans style) each morning, juice and milk always in the frig, and we made lunch for a couple of day trips, plus dinner in room a couple of nights. The savings on meals out was great, as was the convenience. Small but very good shower stall and bathroom. Neighborhood always felt safe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Had a lovely stay, we had a triple room and didn't want to climb the stairs ( no lift ) so we chose to have the basement studio ( rm 2 ) only one flight down .. The stairs down were very narrow and only had a hand rail half way down .. and steep .... The room was lovely,very clean and big , red hot shower.... The place itself is just along the road from everything you could need .
We will go back next year but will climb up the stairs as they were wider and not to steep ( when uv got cases to carry !! )
Staff where very friendly ... I'll put some photos on x

• Stayed November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Another visit to the Vancouver Studios - very good location close to two tube lines and with a useful and money saving kitchenette. I stayed here at the beginning of September for a few days in a single studio and and the end of September for a week with a surprise upgrade to a double room. The single studios are still fine for longer stays but it was very nice having that bit of extra space to stretch out in the double room. The reception staff were still very friendly and helpful barring one woman who was more enthusiastic about her mobile phone than the guests.

These are minor quibbles but worth a mention: the housekeeping this time was very 'interesting' - I didn't appreciate being woken up by someone trying to get into the room to clean and I was disturbed on more than one day. That 'do not disturb' sign didn't offer magical protection. The cleaning was also patchy on this visit and I did find something you wouldn't quite expect in the room (purple with batteries) and so not mine. I came back one afternoon to find my room door open, not just unlocked. Thankfully there is a security system that prevents people just walking in off the streets so this wasn't a major problem, besides the fact I didn't have anything anyone would want to steal. It would still pay to use the small safe that is provided in the cupboard. Housekeeping had also decided that I didn't want to recyle my water bottles which I had left well away from any bins on a table by the window for re-use the next day. There seemed to be a set pattern on the dining table that had to be adhered to regardless and water bottles must have ruined the symmetry. All of my things on the table seemingly had to be moved to accommodate this. The new louvre wooden shutters were also badly thought out - because of the pelmet they don't actually fold back, so you can move the louvres up and down to let in light but cannot easily access the window. They look nice but could be more practical. On previous visits I have been impressed with the standard of housekeeping so I wouldn't let it put you off a visit as this may have been a transient problem.

The bed was comfortable, the shower had lovely consistent hot water, the towel were fluffy and large, the tv channels plentiful, the wifi generally good and you did not get a lot of noise from other guests, barring some panting by people reaching the top of the stairs and I too contributed to that. The man with the angle grinder on the scaffolding outside the wiindow did ruin the peace but that wasn't the hotel's fault. Overall a pleasurable stay and those stairs certainly help with the fitness level. Now I've been spoilt by the double room it will be hard to go back to a single studio. Now if I could find somewhere to write a review of the idiot that decided to close both the district and circle lines for planned engineering works on the weekend I was trying to get to Heathrow by tube. Just as well reception was there to help solve this travel dilemma and look after my luggage. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Vancouver Studios in London is just lovely. From the moment I popped my head in the door, I was treated perfectly. I had a room on near the top, but the kind lady at the desk suggested that I could change rooms if I wanted to a lower level room as she thought I was dragging suitcases, as the stairs can be tough on people. I fortunately have no problem with the stairs, but be warned - if you stay in a Victorian hotel there will never be a lift/elevator as due to preservation building codes they cannot be installed.
The room and hotel were immaculate - I let out a little cheer when I got into the room. Their single rooms can be noted as small (if you're basing size on a North American standard, for example) but for me it was ideal. I had the kitchen items I needed, lovely decor, tv and a nice view of the neighbourhood. I mean, you're in London - how much time are you going to spend in your room anyway? Either way, it's an ideal base. There's so much to see and you're in such a lovely area. It's very easy getting around. It's a jam packed area with many other similar hotels (not hotels like we're used to in North America) but you'll know what I mean when you get there...but Vancouver Studios is perfect - and a real step up from most of it's hotel neighbours and remarkably quiet too.
The kind front desk staff will take time with you to give you tips as to where everything is etc. It's super easy to get around, there are great pubs close by and it's a 10 minute walk to Hyde Park and many shops. This is a great hotel, and even greater if you can score a deal on laterooms.com I currently live in Oxford, and often come into London on weekends, seeing as It's only 58 odd miles away. This hotel is one of my top three places to stay.
I'm orginally from Vancouver Canada, and I'm glad to say that this hotel does the city of Vancouver total justice. It's just lovely and I'll be back. Book it. Now.

Room Tip: Be careful with the upper levels of the hotel, as the stairs are narrow and very steep. If you can...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights here in August. Our room was on the ground floor and opened onto a lovely courtyard where we had breakfast each morning and relaxed on the evening. The room was very quaint and pretty. The only down side was that there was no air-conditioning and as we were on the ground floor couldn't leave the french doors (no other windows) open overnight so got very hot as the weather was very warm during our stay (this probably isn't a problem normally but reflected in sleep quality rating). The bathroom/shower was quite narrow but we found it OK - could be difficult for a larger person (don't drop the soap).
Despite this, the location was excellent with a supermarket and some nice pubs nearby on Queensway. A lot of the tourist buses leave on Bayswater Rd at the end of Queensway so easy to get around the main tourist attractions. You can transfer easily from Heathrow by taking the Piccadilly line (terminating Cockfosters) to Earls Court then changing to the District Line (terminating Edgeware Rd) getting off at Bayswater. The hotel is about 10 mins walk from here.
This is a really pretty area and we enjoyed our stay here - despite the heat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Vancouver Studios? Share your experiences!