“Good for a small London hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Caesar

Save Saved
You added Hotel The Caesar to your Saves list
Hotel The Caesar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   26 - 33 Queens Gardens | Hyde Park, Bayswater, London W2 3BE, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #343 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Lahti, Finland
“Good for a small London hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed in a normal double room and had a breakfast plan. Room was small, but enough for two people. Wouldn't go to this hotel with children though. A suite might be suitable for a family. Corridor was a bit worn, but all in all the Caesar is clean and fairly modern for a small London hotel.

The reception desk staff, particularly the young lady, was slightly indifferent. Cleaning staff and the staff in breakfast room were friendly and helpful, but not fully fluent in English. Breakfast was very good, although they could change it every now and then.

Location is good because the hotel is located in a quiet street and there's no traffic noise. Paddington and Bayswater tube stations are close. Hyde Park is also a short walk away.

We'll definitely consider staying in this hotel on our next trip to London.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cus2merrelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind review, all comments are appreciated. It is true that some rooms are compact as we are restricted on size and layout due to our grade 2 listed status. However we have different categories of rooms with different sizes, all published in our website.

Thanks one more time for your comments that helps us improve the service we provide to our guests and we looking forward to welcoming you again at The Caesar.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Wadrobe falling apart, rooms and bathroom tiny, maintenance simple totally neglected. We stayed four nights there and found the staff very unexperienced, their mini cab company tries to ripp you off (recommendation by the hotel!), and if you turn up one minute too late for breakfast they don' t let you even into the restaurant anymore to help yourself from the buffet.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Thank you for your review, we value your feedback.

I am very sorry to learn of the shorttfalls in our service and facilities, we clearly have failed to meet with your expecations and our usually high standards.

Please be assured that your comments have been discussed with the Management team in order that immidate action is taken to rectify the areas highlighted, this includes the recruitement of an extra member of staff in the Maintenance team.

We do have some new staff members in the front desk team at present who are also new to London. We understand that their knowledge of the local area may be limited at this time, but they are undergoing training to improve this at this time.

I also offer my apologies for the lack of flexibality from the Restaurnat team regarding the closing of Breakfast, again I have addressed this point with the team.

Thank you again for your feedback which has been used constructivly to improve our service.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

This hotel is ok, In a great location near Hyde park. Its nice and clean and somewhat small. There was a small amount of mould on the wooden floor boards near the shower which had a damp odour. Our room door handel came off during our stay and this was attended to immediately. However the hotel floor staff do not match the rates you are paying i.e I would expect more professionalism from them e.g I slipped on the front step because it was wet and although I was laughing myself, the staff also enjoyed laughing at me! The staff also lacked local knowledge of the area (and some struggled with their English). Be careful when you ask them to book you a cab, they call you a 'luxury car' and you pay drug money for the trip (which I think they split). You can very easily catch a cab out the front. Make sure you attend High Tea at Orangery tea rooms in Hyde park its one of the cheapest High Tea's in London and in my opinion the absolute best!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

I am pleased that you found the Hotel clean and up to standard, however I am sorry to learn of the shortfalls from our team.

At The Caesar Hotel we strive to achieve the highest levels of customer care and service, clearly on this occasion we could have done better.

At this time we do have several new members of the team who are undergoing training. To further enhance and improve this process we have employed an external training provider in Customer Service best practice. This training will be delivered from this week and reviewed on a regular basis to ensure we maintain the high standards we and our guests should expect.

We have highlighted a minor damp problem in 3 of our bathrooms. Immediate work will be taken to rectify this problem.

It is common practice in London Hotels to use a private hire car firm for guests taxi's. This allows us to ensure a reliable and quality service, where we know the cars and drivers. All journeys are on a fixed price basis, which therefore ensures you do not pay for sitting in traffic unlike a black cab on a meter, of course in quieter times it may be more cost effective to use a black cab and we would be more than happy to "flag" one down for our guests. However to suggest we are involved in "drug money " is extreme and offensive.

I again thank you for your feedback and allowing us to continually improve our service.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Can't help but notice that the manager only answers those reviews that are positive Hope he makes an exception here, as it's very easy to take a bow and not so easy to face up to problems. The hotel would be lovely if not for the staff. They unfortunately match lack of knowledge of the area, of London itself, of the items on the menu, of the amenities of the hotel, and of the English language with a completely obnoxious attitude toward guests, questions, and what should be simple, easy interactions. The young European with a "trainee" button who was my first contact "greeted" me with a demand "Passport!" That was her welcome. It was downhill from there.
I would not have managed much communication if I did not speak Spanish as a second language. Even with that, I was unable to avail myself of many of the amenities because of the attitude and lack of communication. Another example was that no one - not one person - present at the breakfast buffet could explain in any language what some of the items. were. No one could recommend a restaurant nearby. No one knew how to get to the West End theatre district. No one explained that a taxi called by the staff would be more expensive than one hailed in the street. There are more examples, but none of this would be mattered much if there had existed any level of courtesy.
We come to London for culture, for charm, for manners, for the British tradition. No one comes to be treated like this.

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for your review, we do value your feedback, good or bad and I am confused at the remark on only replying only to good comments, as you will see we reply to all reviews.

You highlight many shortfalls in service from our staff for which I offer my apologies. It is true at the present time we have some new employees undergoing training that are also new to London. To further enhance this process we have employed an external training provider to train in Customer Service best practice. This will be ongoing with regular reviews on their progress. Excellent customer service is our core aim and their is certainly no room for poor attitude at any level. These comments have been treated seriously and discussed with the Management team to ensure we learn and improve.

Over the past 12 months the Hotel has received many excellent comments on its service and staff and I am confident that this experience will be isolated and improved in the immediate future.

Thank you again for your feedback and allowing us to improve our service.

Regards

Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel recently and we did not have a very good experience. I wouldn't return in a hurry. We had travelled for 3 hours by train and booked the hotel approx 2 months in advance. We had requested a family room and was advised this was available. We had requested a double bed and one single for our teenage daughter. Upon arriving, the reception staff were friendly and helpful and a young man showed us to our room. We were not happy that we had been given an exceptionally tiny room with ONE double bed - no room for our daughter. We asked him where our daughter was expected to sleep as there was no bed for her (and no room for one, either). He was unable to give us an answer and looked rather blank. The room was extremely cramped with just a double bed and looked suspiciously like a single room. The young man rang downstairs and spoke in Spanish to the staff on the desk. My Spanish is a little dodgy but I could make out he was asking for a sofa bed to be brought to our room! I interrupted him and told him this was not acceptable. There was NO way a sofa bed was going to be able to be jammed in beside the double bed (we were hard pushed to be able to walk around the bed as it was!) We asked to be moved to another room but we were told that no other oom was available and that this was in fact a 'family room' . I honesltly thought someone was playing a practical joke. I suggested to my husband that we look for alternative accommodation, at which, the young man rang downstairs again to speak to someone else. I wandered off into the bathroom which smelt strongly of dampness and was very musty. It was also extremely cramped with hardly roon to turn around - it really had to be seen to be believed! The young man then asked us to go downstairs. A lady came to speak to us and apologised but insisted that we had been given a family room and that all they could do was to put in a sofa bed. We explained again that had we known beforehand that our daughter would have had to have slept on a makeshift bed jammed next to me and her father, in a space the size of a broom cupboard, that we would NEVER have made the reservation. She then disappeared and another gentleman came out to speak to us and said he possibly had another oom we could use 'in the basement' but that it wasn't ready and could we wait for and hour and a half until it was made ready for us! At this point I could have cried. We said no and were asked to wait until someone went to check the room. The lady came back and said the room was ready and we could in fact go down to the basement to have a look to see if it was suitable. It was a little dark, but to be honest, it was better than the previous room and the lack of daylight was preferable to the lack of space. Once again there was a double bed and a sofa bed (unmade) in the room for our daughter. A maid was summoned after about 30 minutes to make up the bed. She didn't!! She partly ufolded the sofabed and placed a pillow, 2 sheets and a blanket on top of the sofa bed. I suspected we were supposed to make up the bed ourselves and were too tired to argue, so we just got on with it. We had to request extra towels as there were only enough for 2 people and also extra toiletries, as again the room was made up for only 2 guests. There were tea and cofee making facilities in the room, but a someone else has previously noted in a review, these were NOT replenished the following day. There was ONE robe between 3 people - we asked for another 2 but did not get extra. It was cold during the night and we could have done with an extra pillow and blankets, but after searching for extra linen we could fined none in the cupboards or wardrobes. This is unusual, as every decent hotel I have ever stayed in before has always provided additional pillows / bed linen in the cupboards for guests to use , without having to request it. Niceties were just not there. For example, a basic standard requirement I would have expected would have been a bedside clock - there was NO clock in the room. There were no tissues in the bathroom and only ONE roll of toilet paper between three of us for 2 nights' stay!! Ridiculous. Being in the basement, it was noisy and we were subjected to 2 nights pretty disruptive sleep. We popped into the bar on our first night and asked what cocktails they had available and the waitress looked rather blank and then replied 'just a marghertia' - we asked if she could do anything else and she smiled and replied 'no'. We made do with what she had then left. All in all, not a hotel I would recommend. I understand the reasons for the small space in the rooms but I think this should be made clear to guests before booking as they are in for a horrible shock if they are unprepared. The bathroom was miniscule. When the hand towel was laid out on the floor it touched the sides of the sink and the sides of the bath. We took photos just so we coudl show friends and family as we were sure they would not have believed how cramped the rooms are. If a family room is described as having a double bed and a single bed then it is absolutley wrong to expect someone to sleep on a sofa bed. Guests should be made fully aware beforehand that family rooms come with SOFA BEDS - I believe this is because there is literally NO room for a double and a single in the same room. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Cus2merrelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
Thank you very much for your review; we take great interest to our guest’s experiences as a way to improve our service.

I have read this review with interest and concern, and found it different to most of our reviews.

We acknowledge some of our rooms are compact; this is due to the age of the building and our grade 2 listed statuses. However, our website provides full description of our family room, including the size: 18 m2 designed to comfortably accommodate all the family in a single space with an extra bed provided. Comfort and space make these rooms an ideal base for enjoying a few days in London with the family. We do not have extra sofa beds to put into the room, normally the extra single bed is underneath the double bed and its measurements are 0.90m x 1.90m.

Our check-in time is 2pm and where possible we will give access to rooms early should a request be made, however this can not be guaranteed. Our check out time is 12pm and we can only offer rooms once the previous guest has departed and then the room cleaned. In this respect, the room may have not been ready at the time you checked in. In regards to the sofa bed not being prepared, we sincerely apologize and an investigation with the head of housekeeping has been forwarded as this comes in conflict with the service standards that we provide.

Our reception staffs is available 24 hours and would be more than happy to help our guests in providing extra toiletries, blankets or any special request.

The XO Bar provides our guests with a selection of cocktails; the menus are available on all tables in the bar. Our staff have been trained in making the cocktails available in the menu .

We are deeply sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion, we thank you for your feedback and will act upon it as we always strive to achieve the best possible standards.
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Very good location, close to Paddington, Bayswater, Lancaster stations. Rooms seem a bit small.
We made our booking for 3 rooms each for 5 nights through different agents.Though we have explained to the front desk staff about our bookings when we checked in on the first day, we were asked to check in and check out for a coupe of times which were indeed a waste of time.
The cold cut buffet breakfast only included 2 to 3 types of ham, not recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind comment.
We apologize for the inconvenience you had upon check in. Also we really regret that our buffet breakfast didn’t meet your expectations, however we feel our buffet is very comprehensive and recieves regular praise, of course this is personal preference.
We hope that overall you had a good experience on The Caesar and we will see you again shortly.
Oak Brook, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I had a day stop in london from my flight going back home and this place was amazing. A friend had booked it for me and I was just amazed by the friendly staff, the cleanliness of the room, the way it was furnished. Overall it was an amazing stay even if it was for a night. Loved the whole decor, but mostly loved the staff. They were amazing. They helped me with my luggage and were always helpful in getting me anything i wanted. Only downfall was i never got reception in my room. So it was hard to make phone calls . I had to step outside into the lobby to use my cell phone. It was quite strange.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Cus2merrelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind review. Your comments have been forwarded to all our staff as it is rewarding that our job is appreciated.
We really appreciate that you like the décor of the hotel, one of the key points of Derby Hotels Collection is its passion for art and you can find original art pieces in all our hotels. Recently remodelled, The Caesar Hotel has a collection of Roman mosaics on display. The ten pieces exhibited, of Syrian origin, mostly date to the 4th-5th century AD, and they combine plant and animal motifs.
Regarding the issue of the reception of your phone, is the first comment that we have regarding this but it is going to be forwarded to our maintenance manager to have a look on it.
We are more than happy that you really enjoyed your stay with us and that you shared this with the community of travellers. We are looking forward to welcoming you at the Caesar Hotel on your next visit to London.

Been to Hotel The Caesar? Share your experiences!