“Second stay at the Caesar - Will stay again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Caesar

You added Hotel The Caesar to your Saves list
Hotel The Caesar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   26 - 33 Queens Gardens | Hyde Park, Bayswater, London W2 3BE, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #345 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Lahti, Finland
“Second stay at the Caesar - Will stay again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was my second time at the Caesar. I went to London with my girlfriend and sister. We had a standard double room (a superior room), and my sister had a single room. Our rooms were both on the third floor. Our was right by the elevator, and my sister's room was further down the corridor. The room by the elevator was a bit noisy because of people using the elevator. Also, because our room had a double bed and I was a bit restless at night, my girlfriend couldn't get much sleep. I requested another room with twin beds. Luckily enough, we got the same room where we had stayed on our first time at the Caesar. So, now we know which room to ask when we are staying at the Caesar the next time. This room is just perfect for us. Also, my sister's single room was very good; she told me that she slept really well.

On our first day, the hot water boiler broke down at the hotel, so there was no hot water.
Alternative shower facilities were offered at another hotel across the street, and we were given a key and a room number at the hotel and went to take a shower there. Fortunately, the boiler at the Caesar was fixed the next day, so this was only a minor inconvenience. Still, it would've been nice if we had been offered some compensation by the hotel because of this, for instance a free drink at the bar.

We had a breakfast plan, and I must say that the breakfast buffet at the Caesar is great and the service is impeccable. I would, however, like to point out that it might be a good idea to change the buffet every now and then. The buffet was exactly the same as it was a year ago. Still, excellent breakfast and service! Finally, we ate dinner at the restaurant one evening, and the food was really good.

Many reviewers have complained about the small room sizes, and I think I also wrote about this in my first review. True enough, the rooms are quite small. Then again, when I visit London, I don't really go there to sit in my hotel room. In fact, rather than complaining about the room size, it is much more noteworthy that the Caesar is modern and CLEAN which is something that is not self-evident in (many or maybe most) London hotels. For instance, the other hotel where we went to take a shower when the boiler was broken was simply dreadful; the room smelled of smoking. The rooms at the Caesar are all non-smoking.

Somebody mentioned problems with the TV in their review - that the TV had switched on at night by itself. This happened to us once during our stay, but we didn't mention this to the staff.

The same reviewer (Alan C), who complained about the TV glitch, paints a pretty grim picture of the Caesar. I must say that can't agree with his review at all. True, the hotel can be a bit noisy but nothing compared to some other London hotels. In fact, we once stayed at Hotel 82, which is located in heavily trafficked road (Gloucester Place), and couldn't sleep at all. Compared to that experience, the Caesar is a quiet place.

In short, the Caesar is a great London hotel and located in a very nice and quiet residential street close to Hyde Park, the Paddington Station and Bayswater tube. The staff is friendly, particularly the service staff at the restaurant. (Rytis, in particular, is a nice and friendly guy. So, hotel manager, if you read this, please tell Rytis all the best. In fact, give him a bonus!)

To sum up, we will definitely stay at the Caesar again when we visit London the next time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the elevator(s). If you want a nice view of Queen's Gardens, ask for a room...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for taking time to write a review, your feedback and comments are welcomed.

I am pleased you chose to return to The Caesar for a 2nd time and that you enjoyed your stay again. Rytis is a valued member of the team and following your review he will be nominated for our employee of the month award.

I wish to offer my personal apologies for the breakdown of the boilers, this was unexpected but as with anything tecnical these things can happen. We took every step possible to ensure this situation was quickly dealt with, including offering shower rooms in another local Hotel, although I understand the Hotel was not to the same standard as The Caesar.

I hope we can welcome you a 3rd time and thank you again for your comments

Lee Melville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Greek first
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011 via mobile

We stayed one night at Caesars and right from when we entered the hotel, this was a great experience. We were greeted warmly by staff and despite being early were given access to our room straight away- which turned out to be an upgraded room.
The room was bright and modern, with a nice view overlooking the street.
The next day it was no problem( or charge) for us to leave our baggage there until late in the day. The late 12 oclock check out was also very helpful as we wanted to watch the Rugby World Cup final that morning( staff seemed mainly Spanish and did not seem to know about this very important event!)
Staff were also very helpful in sorting out a taxi and dealing with a slight problem we had with the taxi driver.
All in all a pleasant handy location with staff that were only too pleased to help. Would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your time in comepleting it.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and found everything in order. We do work very hard to try and dlever the best possible service.

We hope we can welcome you again very soon.

Phnom Penh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

My wife, son and I recently stayed here in 3 rooms booked online. When we arrived we found no porter service, the rooms we were shown were tiny with single beds and limited facilities. A glorified backpacker lodge is the best description I can think of. We eventually managed to change two of the 3 rooms and were slugged a further 25 GBP each room. The first night we booked a wakeup call for 5.00am so we could drive our son to Heathrow. At 3.45am the TV came on awakening me - it wasn't until I had made a coffee that I realised this was not my wake up call but some glitch in the automated TV system. At 5 the wakeup call happened but as the phone was faulty I could not answer. At no stage during our stay did the hotel top up the soap shampoo etc without asking. When I asked that the phone be fixed for the 3rd time as it was a safety risk having no in room communication, a surly employee came to the room and virtually accused me of damaging it. I ended up complaining to the manager about the employees attitude. on night two the TV did its thing once again aand the emergency exit sign fell off the door with a loud crash at 5.00am. Obviously sleep is an optional extra at this hotel. The rooms are noisy as the firedoors in the corridors bang each time they are used and the tiles on the corridor floor are lifting creating further noise. We dined in the hotel's restaurant after which my wife and I both caught salmonella (as this was the only place we had eaten for two days it is impossible to blame it on anywhere else!!
All in all a very unpleasant experience and somewhere I would not recommend to my worst enemy at the prices they charge (or indeed at any price) a basic level of service and standards is mandatory.
My advise - avoid the Caesar at any cost.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Thank you for your review; we value all feedback including the negative as here.

I wish to offer my apologies that the Hotel did not meet with your expectations and that you had some service issues during your stay. For this I apologise as an unhappy guest is a failure on our part.

We have had a computer glitch in our TV system, this has since been identified and rectified, it does seem that you have then suffered a series of errors, for which I do not wish to offer any excuses as I feel this will only compound an already unhappy situation, please be assured however that they have all been rectified.

Your claim of food poisoning is a serious one and one that if we had been informed of would have investigated. However without substantial proof, this remark remains your opinion and not fact. We have the highest possible hygiene standards and conduct regular independent inspections of our Kitchens and food handling practices.

Again, I am sorry for your comments, which as you will see from the many comments left here is far from the normal experience of our guests.

The team will be briefed on your comments so we learn and improve.

Tralee, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed here on a weekend trip to London with my brother! We got a double room but the rooms were so small the gap between our bed was about a inch! While rooms are small they are nice and clean and modern!

I loved the shower it had a big rain shower head was lovely. Location is graeat easy access to Underground and for the heathrow express!

Staff are lovely cant fault them very helpful!

Major down side is you only get wifi free for a hour every 24hours, crazy as a tourist we needed the net to check about locations etc! To charge people for wifi in this day and age is nuts and bad!

Also the breakfast is a crazy price for cereal and toast the price cant be justified! Only for it been in my room rate I would not of ate there!

I would stay again as it is a lovely hotel just a few small things letting it down which can easily be fixed!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review we do value the feedback.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you would return in the future.

The price of Breakfast is not just for Cereal and toast. The prices includes a extensive range of items from the buffet and guests can eat as much or as little as the choose, including unlimited Tea and Coffee. Our prices are average for most London Hotels.

The free hour of Wifi is a gesture to our guests to allow the checking of emails etc and suits most people. A further option of free computer access in the Lobby is also available 24 hours a day including printing options. We offer a high bandwidth of Wifi offering a good connection and speed due to a recent installation of a high specification system. It is still not common place for Hotels offering this high level service (compared to slow and intermittent service) to be offered free even for one hour.

Despite these comments, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back in the future,.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I loved Bayswater which is the area of London that this Hotel is in. It is easy to get there from the airport with Heathrow Express. The single room is VERY small and I knew that beforehand. If you are not hanging out in your room and you are not a big guy ( I am a girl), than it won't matter IMO.

Room Tip: A single room is VERY small and I knew that beforehand from Trip Advisor. I would not be spending a...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

The hotel was easy to find from Bayswater tube and is actually very close to Bayswater High Street which has a good variety of restaurants and bars. The hotel itself is quite modern and well maintained. The staffs were very friendly and welcoming.

I wasn't that impressed with the size of the room, but it's probably in line with most London hotels. The room facilities were ok, no mini bar, no iron or ironing board but one was made available when requested. I didn't use the Internet so couldn't say if it was ok or not. The bathroom was quite small, but a walk in shower made good use of the space.

Unfortunately I didn’t have Dinner, but the menu looked nice and breakfast was really good. I didn’t use the Gym, but did take a sneak peek and it was full of modern good quality equipment.

For the price this is a good hotel with a fresh and modern feel, I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and I would definitely use it again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Overall my experience of staying at Caesar Hotel was awful, the room size is small and the less flexible online reservation which is managed by a third-party has caused me to pay more than I should.

1) Small Room Size
I stayed in a single room. The single bed was situated with one side leaning against the wall, and next to it was a desk with a TV on it. The gap between the bed and the desk is less than 1 foot wide. Can you imagine how small the room is?

The bathroom is small too. The shower cubicle is nothing more than 2.5 feet (width) x 2.5 feet (length). I can’t imagine if a Caucasian with body size much bigger than mine can squeeze himself into the cubicle. I am an Asian with medium body built, and I found myself difficult to make any single move inside the shower cubicle.

2) Online Reservation
I made my reservation on the Caesar Hotel website which I was then directed to a third-party managed website (www.centralr.com). I made a reservation for two nights and paid 10% of the amount as deposit.

Upon check in, I found out that the rate for the single room and double room were the same. I requested the front counter officer to change my single room to double room. But I was advised that any change on the reservation has to be made through the online reservation. What puzzled me was that I have to cancel my existing reservation and made a new reservation for the double room, although both room have the same rate and the hotel could easily arrange the double room for me.

After doing all the steps as advised, then only I found out that the 10% deposit that I have paid was un-refundable, which mean I lost the 10% deposit and I have already paid during the first reservation and I have to pay the full amount for my 2-night-stay in the hotel.

In fact, I stayed in the single room for two nights as it was too troublesome for me to check out and check in after the first night of stay. And I have only found out that the hotel was charging me for the full amount upon checking out, though I have paid for the deposit. According to the front counter officer, the deposit is held by the third party online reservation vendor.

I refused to pay for the full amount when I was checking out and I insisted that no further charge should be charged to my credit card as I have paid the remaining balance in cash as stated in my reservation.

But upon my arrival back to my country, I found out from the credit card statement that, there was an additional charge incurred.
Hence my advice is that if you are looking for a room with reasonable space and flexible online reservation which allows you to make changes, then you should stay away from Caesar Hotel.

(Note – the third party managed online reservation does not has 24X7 support, but 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. If your reservation is on weekend and there was mistake with your reservation, you will never able to resolve it as the hotel officer will tell you their standard answer which is – it’s a third party managed online reservation, they cannot do anything unless you contact the third party vendor)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel The Caesar? Share your experiences!