“Good for a night or two...tops” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barry House

You added Barry House to your Saves list
Barry House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   12 Sussex Place | Hyde Park - Paddington, Westminster, London W2 2TP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #208 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Wollongong, Australia
“Good for a night or two...tops”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Nice and clean the rooms were small and the shower/toilet were really small. The breakfast was enough but nothing special. I would ask for a room closer to the ground, as if you have a lot of luggage it would be difficult for some people to negotiate the narrow stairs to the top floors. However, Barry House is in a great location right near Lancaster Gate. As it was the bank holiday long weekend we were able to park in the street on the Sunday and Monday free of charge.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors have narrow stairs to them and could be difficult for some people to lift he...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed in a budget room at the Barry House for a week. The hotel is in a great location and the room was perfect for a single traveller. The room and the shared bathroom and shower were always clean. Breakfast was great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Willow Grove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

'The Barry Hotel was exactly what we wanted for our stay in London during the Olympics. The room was clean, comfortable, and suited the needs of the two of us and our 14 year old son. The bathroom might have been on the small side, but it was private with obviously new features.

The breakfast served every day was delicious and plentiful. We enjoyed it very much, and enjoyed the camaraderie of eating with the other guests of the hotel - it was a very international experience.

Being greeted and tended to by the actual owners of the hotel was lovely; it gives it a very warm, personal feel, and they could not have been more helpful.

The location of the hotel is ideal; minutes away from Paddintgon station, but enough off the beaten path that it didn\'t feel crowded, especially with the Olympics happening.

We would stay there again, and hope to be able to some time in the near future!'

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rosarito, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had a great stay at Barry House. My husband, daughter and I stayed for three nights in mid-July. We were greeted by Bobby, who is an excellent host, not only did he make us feel very welcome, he provided very helpful information.

The hotel's location is very convenient, you are a short walk away from Hyde Park and Paddington Station.

The room was a bit hot at night, I imagine it's ideal during the winter.

Hot breakfast is served every morning.

We would definitely go back to Barry House.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights for the Paul simon concert in Hyde park.
From the moment we arrived we were looked after and made to feel welcome.
Yes the rooms were a little small but fine and very clean.
Breakfast in the morning was very nice, hot and fresh.
And we will have no hesitation in staying at Barry house hotel next time we visit London.
Many thanks, see you all on our next visit.

• Stayed July 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

wehad a great stay at Berry House...the location is Superb with the near by Paddington station which so easy for us to traveller ard london city.
thank you Berry house hat we have a great holiday in London.
only few minute walk to Hyde Park we love it so much
the room is super clean & and confortable bed.
thank you Berry, we will be back soon maybe around Feb 2013.
Friendly and helpful receptionist thank you so much .
miss ya London

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We had booked this hotel for a one night's stay in London -- mainly because we had trusted the overall decent TripAdvisor reviews. As it turned out, something is wrong either with my personal experience of this place or the more recent reasonable reviews. But I leave that to you to judge.

Both when we arrived early evening and left at around 7.30am in the morning, the reception was not open. In fact, the counter was literally shut by a roller shutter. On both occasions, we had to ring a bell a couple of times until someone turned up. The person who finally appeared seemed pretty relaxed and happy with the world although they barely looked at us or said "hello". Overall, I found it hard to strike a conversation or ask a question because they were either of a very quiet nature or (more likely) barely spoke English.

The wireless two-word password was scribbled among lots of numbers and half-written guest names in a tattered notebook. (I assume it's guest names since also ours was among them, although misspelled at least twice despite online booking). The clerk could not help us finding out how (and in which order!) the two words actually fit together, but we eventually found out ourselves after a bit of experimentation.

The room was OK, although the furniture and interior design reminded me more of a scrappy yard sale collection. But that is probably my own bad taste, so no worries about that. The bathroom seems to have been recently renovated so that was very good, except for a layer of dust on some of the appliances, although I admit that might be regarded nit-picking, given the bigger picture.

What I ultimately blew it for me personally was the strange smell in the hallway and room. I am not an expert, so I might well be wrong, but to me the room smalled damp and kind of musty. Maybe it's in the carpet, maybe it's in the walls. I simply don't know. We kept the window open all night, but it did not go away.

Unfortunately, the smell in the hallway was not much better. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of freshly cooked and spicy food, but somehow this smell was penetrant when we arrived in the evening and still there when we left in the morning. My first thought was that there must be a restaurant kitchen in the same building, but I could not find one.

We did not have a chance to try the breakfast. It is from 8-9 am only, and if you have to leave only a bit earlier, you will have to leave without it (if you can find someone to return your keys to, that is). I guess that most travellers will be in a similar situation with such a short time slot so it might be more honest for the owner to not offer an "alibi breakfast" to justify higher prices at.

PS: When you look up "Barry House" on Google Maps, you easily find it in the right position -- but surprisingly with the URL "lindenhousehotel.com"‎ attached to it. Turns out that "Linden House Hotel" is right next to "Barry House Hotel". Since it is hard to imagine that anyone would link to their competitor on a search engine, I assume that both "Linden House" and "Barry House" are run by the same owner. Now have a look at the "Linden House Hotel" reviews. Surprised? As I said, I may get it completely wrong here, but please make up your own mind.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
barryhousehotel, Owner at Barry House, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Naturally I am disappointed with the poor rating you have chosen to give us. As you know we are a B&B rather than a full service hotel and so do not have a night reception service. I or a member of my family are here for most of the day and make it a point to offer a friendly welcome. With regards to the breakfast time the 8am start is suitable for most of our leisure guests. If you let us know the night before we can offer breakfast from 7.30am.
Unfortunately Google has mixed up the entries of all three B&B's on Sussex Place - although we have informed them several times. We are not connected with Linden House Hotel.

Been to Barry House? Share your experiences!