“Terrible Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Byron Hotel

Save Saved
You added Byron Hotel to your Saves list
Byron Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36-38 Queensborough Terrace | Bayswater, London W2 3SH, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #411 of 1,073 hotels in London
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Terrible Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me begin by saying that I have stayed in numerous hotels in London. I have never felt compelled to leave a review for anywhere but was truly dissapointed with the professionalism of this establishment.

I shan't go into details as I simply want to save your time. Put simply, I was charged full price for breakfast even though my purchase explicitly stated that it was included in the price and this was confirmed upon signing in. The two members of staff not only refused to refund me but were very rude and unprofessional. They would not answer a question directly and pretended not to understand what I was speaking about even though I am perfectly able to communicate in English. I was astounded to be confronted with such a refusal even though the terms of the receipt were clear. One stated he would leave a note for the manager but I heard nothing back. Further, the members of staff in question never smiled, were not welcoming and did not apologise for their behaviour.

Safe to say, I will never stay here again. There are many good hotels in the area which offer a far better service for less.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CapricornHotels, Director of Sales at Byron Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Barry S

I thank you for posting a review on The Byron Hotel and am of course very disappointed to read about your negative experiences. I am the managing director of the hotel and have tried to investigate your complaints with the limited information available on your profile and stay. I view negative experiences as an opportunity for us to look into any shortcomings that may exist in our organisation. I invite you to please write or email me on sudhen@capricornhotels.co.uk so that I may redress your concerns fully to your satisfaction. Upto now the hotel reviews have been very complimentary about our staff and procedures. Clearly we seem to have failed in these areas during your stay with us and I very much look forward to hearing from you.

498 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Luanda, Angola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We booked as a family by walking in after a terrible experience at the Hyde Park Budget Apartments and were concerned about not knowing very much about the hotel. We found the hotel staff very helpful, able to accomodate our family in 2 rooms, which offered us all the required comfort for this type of hotel. We enjoyed the attitude of the staff and the breakfast service and would recommend this to anyone looking for a friendly, middle of the range hotel during their stay in London. Fernandes Family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at Byron Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the welcome, facilities and most importantly the service to your liking. Our goal is to always provide a "home away from home" experience.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I booked our stay with the Byron Hotel from Sat 8th Sept until Tues 11th Sept 2012. The purpose of our visit was to assist our daughter who had come to London to do her Masters Degree. We can honestly say that from the time of arriving at the hotel, until the time we left, we enjoyed everything about this little gem hotel. Whilst our room was not overly big, it was more than sufficient in size for two people and everything was clean and tidy. We stayed in room 18 overlooking the main street and had no problems sleeping. The room had air conditioning and also had a fan, which we made use of due to the very good weather. As for breakfast, we availed of the full English and were very pleased that this was included in the price at the time of booking. All of the staff at the Byron were more than accommodating and all were very friendly and polite and willing to assist in any way they could. Overall our experience of the Byron Hotel was excellent and we shall endeavour to book with this hotel again in the future and would even recommend it to a friend. Great location and the area felt safe at night!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at Byron Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Angie M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

I was so glad that you enjoyed your entire stay with us and found that the great team here delivered a service that met with your expectations. I was pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and location of the hotel and most of all our cooked English breakfast which is so popular with our guests.

Thank you for recommending us to your friends and we can’t wait to welcome you back at the Byron hotel.

Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I booked at the last minute and was a liitle concerned about not really knowing too much about where I was heading.
The hotel is very close to Queensway & Bayswater underground and the bus service into central London is also very close. Paddington station was a 10-15 minute walk.
Reception staff were helpful and welcoming and the hotel is maintained to a very high standard. I had a single room on the first floor which, although small had everything I needed.
There was no noise from passing traffic or late night revellers.
I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Reviewer,

It’s wonderful to read that such a senior reviewer as yourself rates us so highly.

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave such a wonderful review about The Byron Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location and the high standards of the hotel. Our staff also is encouraged by your positive comments. We are located in the heart of London yet on a quiet street, which makes it comfortable and convenient for our guests. It’s really rewarding for our staff to see that they satisfied their guests.

Now I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Hull
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed here a few weeks back for a few days for a festival i was at nearby.

The hotel itself is not cheap, and for what you find i would expect a little more for my money but it was close to where i had to be.

The room itself was a twin, which felt a little small but big enough for us, we weren't using it all the time so it didn't matter too much.

The bathroom was where i felt let down, there was a loose couple of tiles in the bathroom, seal around the bath black/cracked, and although the place was clean these little points which seem picky make you think what else wouldn't be right.

I did mean to mention to the staff but the electrical plug on the wall wasn't on the wall right it was loose very loose. and the Television looks like it was just planted randomly.

What i did find was the staff to be very nice and helpfully, accommodating, the entire hotel like i said to be clean.

The lift was broken when i was there not sure if that is a constant thing or not.

the 2 things i found strange were 1, u couldn't take your key with u so they gave u a little card ID, which is fine just worried about if u lost it. 2. when checking in they were "strict" saying we couldn't check in till 2, this was at 1.50. its not a big deal but i found it strange.

Will i use it again..Probably not. I would however recommend it if i knew of anyone who had to be in this area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at Byron Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Byron Hotel following your recent stay.

I am happy to read that you found our location very convenient and central which is one of the important factors while booking a hotel room. I am pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful and the entire hotel very clean. Due to some mechanical problem our lift was out of order and unfortunately it happened during your stay, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, rest be assured lift along with other minor points which you mentioned above have already been fixed.

I sincerely hope you would consider coming back to our hotel so that we could change your opinion about Byron in a positive way.

Kind Regards,
Carmen Gomez
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I admit I was nervous about staying here, having read some of the negative reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very nice throughout the week I was there; the room (a single) was very small - in keeping with the area's housing stock - but comfortable; the bathroom was clean with a good strong shower; and the cooked breakfast was tasty and substantial. The location is pretty good, too. You get an hour of free wi-fi each day, which was more than enough for me. This isn't luxury accommodation, but it's not priced to be; it's a good, moderately priced hotel.

On the negative side, some of the mechanical systems need work. The elevator went out right after I arrived, and was out of order for the entire week. The air conditioning didn't work in the first room I had, and it was weak in the second room I took (after moving because of the lack of air conditioning in the first room); in fact, even though I had it turned all the way up, it still blasted heat one night. If they get these problems worked out, it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Paul,

Thank you for letting us know your invaluable feedback following your recent stay at the Byron hotel.

I am pleased to read that you liked our great location and our friendly and professional staff, I’m even more pleased to read that you enjoyed our English breakfast.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the mechanical breakdown (lift and air-conditioning) during your stay. I hope you understand this was an unexpected breakdown to which we responded as quickly as possible and tried our best to mitigate the inconvenience caused to our guests. I am happy to inform you that both the problems have been resolved and necessary actions have been taken to avoid this kind of things in future.

Now I hope to welcome you back soon at the Byron Hotel for an even better experience.

Kind Regards,
Carmen Gomez
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Good & Recommended hotel where food, transportation and shopping are less than five minutes walk in addition to the mannerly dedicated hotel staff.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, even more so reading about our highly rated staff, they do live by our motto “No request too large no detail too small” and it is great to see that this is noticed and appreciated by our guests.

I sincerely hope we see you again in the near future for another wonderful Byron Experience.

Carmen Gomez.

Been to Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!