“Great staff, good place!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Byron Hotel

Save Saved
You added Byron Hotel to your Saves list
Byron Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36-38 Queensborough Terrace | Bayswater, London W2 3SH, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #424 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Hull
“Great staff, good place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed here a few weeks back for a few days for a festival i was at nearby.

The hotel itself is not cheap, and for what you find i would expect a little more for my money but it was close to where i had to be.

The room itself was a twin, which felt a little small but big enough for us, we weren't using it all the time so it didn't matter too much.

The bathroom was where i felt let down, there was a loose couple of tiles in the bathroom, seal around the bath black/cracked, and although the place was clean these little points which seem picky make you think what else wouldn't be right.

I did mean to mention to the staff but the electrical plug on the wall wasn't on the wall right it was loose very loose. and the Television looks like it was just planted randomly.

What i did find was the staff to be very nice and helpfully, accommodating, the entire hotel like i said to be clean.

The lift was broken when i was there not sure if that is a constant thing or not.

the 2 things i found strange were 1, u couldn't take your key with u so they gave u a little card ID, which is fine just worried about if u lost it. 2. when checking in they were "strict" saying we couldn't check in till 2, this was at 1.50. its not a big deal but i found it strange.

Will i use it again..Probably not. I would however recommend it if i knew of anyone who had to be in this area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at Byron Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Byron Hotel following your recent stay.

I am happy to read that you found our location very convenient and central which is one of the important factors while booking a hotel room. I am pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful and the entire hotel very clean. Due to some mechanical problem our lift was out of order and unfortunately it happened during your stay, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, rest be assured lift along with other minor points which you mentioned above have already been fixed.

Carmen Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I admit I was nervous about staying here, having read some of the negative reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very nice throughout the week I was there; the room (a single) was very small - in keeping with the area's housing stock - but comfortable; the bathroom was clean with a good strong shower; and the cooked breakfast was tasty and substantial. The location is pretty good, too. You get an hour of free wi-fi each day, which was more than enough for me. This isn't luxury accommodation, but it's not priced to be; it's a good, moderately priced hotel.

On the negative side, some of the mechanical systems need work. The elevator went out right after I arrived, and was out of order for the entire week. The air conditioning didn't work in the first room I had, and it was weak in the second room I took (after moving because of the lack of air conditioning in the first room); in fact, even though I had it turned all the way up, it still blasted heat one night. If they get these problems worked out, it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Paul,

Thank you for letting us know your invaluable feedback following your recent stay at the Byron hotel.

I am pleased to read that you liked our great location and our friendly and professional staff, I’m even more pleased to read that you enjoyed our English breakfast.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the mechanical breakdown (lift and air-conditioning) during your stay. I hope you understand this was an unexpected breakdown to which we responded as quickly as possible and tried our best to mitigate the inconvenience caused to our guests. I am happy to inform you that both the problems have been resolved and necessary actions have been taken to avoid this kind of things in future.

Now I hope to welcome you back soon at the Byron Hotel for an even better experience.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Good & Recommended hotel where food, transportation and shopping are less than five minutes walk in addition to the mannerly dedicated hotel staff.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, even more so reading about our highly rated staff, they do live by our motto “No request too large no detail too small” and it is great to see that this is noticed and appreciated by our guests.

I sincerely hope we see you again in the near future for another wonderful Byron Experience.

Warm Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Mid week booking £140 for one night. Room was still not made up at 1230 went for lunch - shower was over bath but mechanism for lifting to activate shower missing. Really low drilling, PAT test labels out of date!!!! Air con - not working, French door overlooked walled area and covered in pigeon crap. Biigest gripe is the bed was dreadful!!! Have thrown better out!!! Try elsewhere bayswater

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Alanedinnurgh,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Byron Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

We are sorry to read about the problems you faced during your recent stay at The Byron. Our check-in time is 14:00 which is clearly mentioned on all reservation confirmation but we still try to make the rooms ready as soon as possible. Once again we are sorry that you were unhappy with your stay, but are sure that if you had spoken to our reception staff the minor issues in your review could have been addressed immediately.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

It is supposed to be a 4 star but for an Italian it looks like a 2 star.
Old rooms, carpeted, faucet needs to be fixed as well as bath.
I was given the so called suite...it was quite ridiculous... I basically have a room larger than the average with a small adiacent room with a sofa bed and a small table. I never went into it a part from when I checked if the door of the other room was closed or if it was open... it was open! If i didn't check anyone could have come in my room from that entrance!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

The air condition does not work. You have to literally beg the shower to let out some water. Staff is cooperative. Rooms are big if u take triple occupancy. Area is nice. The hotel has no facilities at all. You rather stay in another area and pay the same for a 5 star. I had a room for a week but could not survive for more than 4 days. Later shifted to Hilton next to baker street for some what the same price

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Whilst I’m pleased to read that you were happy with our customer service, location and the size of the rooms, I am genuinely sorry to read of your disappointment with the air-conditioning. Rest assured, we have looked in to this problem. We are sorry that we were not able to match up to your expectations, although The Byron’s facilities are highly complimented by a number of guests.

Once again we are sorry that we were not upto your expected standards and have taken on board all of your valid criticisms inorder to improve our service to future customers.

Bath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I would consider the Byron hotel to be an average hotel, maybe slightly less than average. Believe the reviewers when thay say the rooms are small! They are VERY small, hardly enough room to move around. My room was located in the basement and the front desk told me I had received an upgrade. Upgrade??? I guess they have rooms where you sleep standing up! The room and bathroom were relatively clean, however there was a noticable grime build up in the corners and other hard to reach places, etc. However, my complaint was the smell! The entire building was permeated with the smell of squalor. It was very strong and made me sick to my stomach, so much so, I immediately went to Tesco's to purchase one of those "plug in" air fresheners which seemed to do the trick.
I found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful, my main complaint there was that they refused to call a cab and instead would call a private car service which costs more and leaves alot to be desired. There is obviously a kick back scheme in place.
I found the Bayswater area to be very convenient, Close to the tube and buses, a Tesco's grocery store about 3 blocks away and a self serve laundrette about a block further with ATM machines along the way.
The Byron is not a horrible hotel, but I would not return. I would look for something else and advise you to do the same.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
CapricornHotels, General Manager at Byron Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am happy to read that you found our location very convenient and central which is one of the important factors while booking a hotel room. Whilst I am happy to read that found our staff friendly and helpful I am most concerned about your inconvenience with the smell in your room. We never had this complaint in our hotel but please be assured it’s already looked into and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I am very sorry that your stay with us was not as positive as that of others on this occasion and I sincerely hope you would consider coming back to our hotel so that we could change your opinion about Byron in a positive way.

Carmen Gomez.

Been to Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!