“My favourite hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cardiff, Wales
“My favourite hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2005

From the outside it looked awful, but when you step inside, it's quite a different story. Chic, minimalist and modern - an oasis of calm from the outside hubbub. The staff on the front desk are efficient and friendly. The room (deluxe) was quite a treat. Decorated to impeccable standards, you couldn't fail to be impressed. The room was enormous; a good thing too considering the size of the bed, which was 10 foot in width! Included were flatscreen tv, cd and dvd player. The bar is lively and trendy, and the included breakfast was wonderful. I didn't buy any spa treatments, however I did use the spa room where you melt away in tranquility. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a chic and minimalist look, together will high quality standards and service.

• Stayed August 2002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

Stayed here at the special weekend rate in a standard double room which was spacious with a nice size bathroom. The decor is minimalist verging on dull. There was a comfortable king size bed & seating area. Used the gym which was very good for a hotel with a cardiovascular section & weights in a separate room. The continental options for breakfast were very good with range of fresh juices, fruit , yoghurt, cereals & toast. The cooked breakfast wasn't so great. There is a pleasant bar downstairs which did get a bit rowdy after midnight. The location is not good at all, very near Shepherds Bush Green-even though it's only minutes from the Central Line, I didn't feel that safe walking around.

• Stayed June 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2005

I have given this hotel a 3 star rating. I loved the design and our room was fantastic. We were also able to book in at 10am instead of 2pm so we had somewhere to leave our bags.

In my opinion you will either Love or Hate this hotel. You will either find things tacky or cutting edge in design.

The location is not great however it is still only 2 mins walk from the tube.

I would probably not go and visit again but only becaue of the location.

• Stayed January 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2005

Stayed at the k west for 3 nights. The outside looks ok, very nice in the dark, has lights that change colour through the class. Very impressive. Although it is in a strange location, in the middle of a sort of housing estate, its not that hard to find. It is 5mins walk from shepherds bush tube station which is on the central line and easy to get into central london. The room was a nice size, something that i noticed was that the hotel and the room was very very clean. Clean bathroom, clean sheets on the beds.
I was however a little disspointed with the size of the tele! It says on there website a widescreen tv, its hardly a widescreen tv, its about a 14-16inch one. Overall, a nice hotel but nothing special.

• Stayed April 2005
Surrey, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2005

Stayed at the K-West, very lovely and trendy Hotel, pleasant staff, stunning rooms. You must try the K-West Burger its delightful..!

• Stayed March 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2005

I recently came home from a three day disappointing stay at K West. London was great, but the hotel was a downer. Based on my experience I will advise the reader to consider it twice before you book. I booked the room through internet, mostly because of the stars (4) and because of the photos of the hotel, however compared with other hotels I can hardly believe that K West is more than a 2 and half star hotel, at highest three.

If you go to London for just a few days the location is far from ideal. - You will have to use taxi, bus or the tube to come to major attractions or to the centre (The tube is a 5 min. walk from the hotel, but it takes approx. 20 minutes to get to the centre and 45 min. by bus). Add to this, that the hotel is located in a rather grey and boring neighborhood. Yes, there is a mall there, but nothing of interest for tourists or even locals;-)

Our hotel room had view to a fabric or some kind of office building. I had a very strong feeling of living in a fabric area in middle of nowhere.

The rooms:

We stayed in an executive suit. There is nothing special with these rooms (the style was fancy some years ago, but now it is mostly worn down and looks a bit shabby). It doesn’t seem like they have done anything with the rooms since they opened. The madras was very hard and uncomfortable, compared with other hotels I have stayed at in Europe and USA. If you still thinking about booking a room at K West I strongly advise you to NOT book a family room, or a room for three (The extra madras is more like torture instrument than a madras, not even children can sleep on this kind of madras).

The bathroom was a little bit better, but not clean. The roof in the bathroom seemed like it was on its way down, but all in all it was worn down.

The staff:
Seems ineffective, or to be a bit kind, maybe they had too much to do? Most of them were friendly, but we had some really unpleasant experiences while checking out. - The staff had wrongly added a huge phone bill on my room, and I had to put much efford into convincing them that it was not my phone bill. This was a very upsetting experience and the receptionist was acting rude and unprofessional (I even had to check the phone number on the internet myself to prove for them that the phone call was made by themselves). Even after that they had understood that it was their own phone call, the receptionist was to proud make any real apology.

Spa:
I was not able to use it because it closes before 20.00 (also the gym close early). If you travel with teenager or children you should be aware that “children” under 18 are not allowed inside the spa.

Breakfast: Chaotic experience, but friendly staff. We had to wait for a half hour to get some toast the first day. However, if you only order muffins and croissants etc. it goes smoothly

K Lounge: I didn't use the bar or the restaurant at K, but that was the only part of the hotel that looked fancy and stylish

Conclusion:
Highly overpriced rundown hotel, with bad location. My advice: Stay away, you can do much better for the same price in London!

• Stayed March 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

Read all posts here and booked for K West for 2 nights over Easter. We paid £82 per night for a standard room which was a good size, had a great bed/bathroom and was well designed. We had room 506 which overlooked the garden - pretty quiet although you may be able to hear noisy people in the corridors like we did on one occasion at 2am! The reception is on level 3 and the spa on level 1 and gym on 2 so try to get a room well away from all this i.e. room number > 499.

Key card system for rooms/gym etc seems a bit hit and miss whether it works or not. On the morning we were due to check out we went to breakfast and found we had had our keycards deactivated prematurely - a bit annoying.

Breakfast - continental style one taken in lounge reception area - at times this is chaotic but coffee/pastries/juice all of very good quality. I quite liked the setup but I think older people might not ;-)

Staff - checkin and reception not bad but not quick either. Staff generally quite young but helpful/happy enough even when they could not find our booking on arrival (hotelpronto was the booking agent).

Spa + gyms - well equipped and felt quite luxurious, particularly as we thought the hotel wasn't too expensive (food IS though). Gym has rowers, bikes, steppers and small free wieghts/machine weights area. Spa reception staff very helpful/polite. Jacuzzi not working because of high chlorine levels - I went in for 5 mins anyway and was fine. Sauna and steam room too. Again nice contemporary decor. Treatments start at about £40 to about £70 for say a 55 min massage. Some more expensive 'packages' available e.g. facials, wraps etc.

Neighboorhood - 2 min walk from Shepherds bush tube (Central line zone2 which was fine) and a complex of fast(ish) food places/cinema/local shops. The area here is a bit grotty but walk the other way i.e. turn left out of K West and its progessively nice to the point where after 15 mins you are at Holland Park which is swanky. Women might be a little intimidated walking round at night on their own but this is definately not that bad an area.

Overall - for what we paid I would recommend the place and stay again. For the price - you can stay in some quite tired places but this was modern and upbeat with good facilities. This place added nicely to our 3 day stay in London.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to K West Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!