“Fooled again - a tale of style over substance” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Richmond Way, London W14 0AX, England   |
Ranked #320 of 1,066 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
United Kingdom
“Fooled again - a tale of style over substance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Following my last review, I read the General Manager's response, and foolishly decided to give the hotel another chance.

Check in was smooth, though I noted that the amount charged to your bank account/credit card is £50 per night, so £100 for a two night stay, and there is a notice saying that this money will be held separately to your bank account. Anyone staying there a number of nights could find this inconvenient. The check in staff asked me whether I would like a room upgrade at a charge of £50 - no thanks! I was given an upgrade on my first stay there some years ago and know that it's not worth it.

I was again placed in a room at the very end of the corridor, quite a long walk from the main entrance. At least the room was quiet apart from some road and traffic noise. I did hear something that sounded like a train but not very frequently.

The shower stubbornly refused to be more than luke warm and was in such an arrangement that it was impossible to shower without getting a fair amount of water on the floor.

I did order some room service - a bottle of champagne. The room service information was out of date and the two cheapest bottles of house champagne are no longer available. So as well as paying £11 more for a bottle of champagne than expected I was also charged a 10% service charge for the "privilege" of having it in my room. So a £33 bottle of champagne actually came in at £49.50. I didn't have the heart to ask for the 50 pence change. The champagne bucket also had a very tiny leak in it, too small to see immediately, but large enough that by the morning a large puddle of water had formed on the table, soaking my handbag. Not impressed!

The other problem I have with this hotel is the darkness of the rooms. There are no mirrors with adequate lighting for make-up application, neither are there any full length mirrors. I appreciate that the vast majority of business travellers are male and probably not bothered about such minor things, but to me they make a huge difference to the convenience of the room.

As previous reports have pointed out, the area that the hotel is in also feels very unsafe. I would be reluctant to walk from the tube station after dark, as even in the day time the area immediately next to the main road is inhabited by drunks and drop outs. The cost of taxis adds to the expense of the hotel.

So all in all, I don't think that I would return to this hotel if I had a choice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
k-west_hotel, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, but I am disappointed and sorry to hear that once again we did not meet your expectations. If you do decide to come back again I would love you to contact me in advance so I can make sure your room requests are arranged prior to you visit.
Hilary Cross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
Bodrum City, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Excellent value for money. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are big, the hotel has a green policy.
Fitness center and wonderful SPA on top.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for a great review. I’m so happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and you liked the location of the hotel. I’m also pleased to hear that the style of the hotel was to your taste and you felt it was good value for money. We look forward to you returning.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed at the Kwest with my friend from abroad to go shopping at Westfield. The whole experience was great with helpful staff and a lovely breakfast next day. Also was allowed to leave my suitcase so that we could explore London then collect it later.Would recommend this hotel to anyone. The bed was really comfortable.

Room Tip: I chose a twin bedded room as I was sharing with a friend.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for your review… I’m delighted to hear that you had a comfortable stay and that the room and staff both impressed you. It is lovely to hear that you would recommend our hotel; we look forward to your return!
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Good Hotel for London standards at those prices. Room was sober and elegant, bathroom a bit small. The breakfast is not one of the reasons to stay at this hotel. We had the English breakfast and discovered you can actually screw it up. My daughter had the pancakes which were gummy and tasteless.The second day the experience was the same. Location is not ideal if you are actually visiting London and wish to go back to your room for a rest during the day, but perfect if you are keen on shopping at the fabulous Westfield mall or attending an event at Olympia. Otherwise staff kind and efficient, comfortable beds, and silent rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for such a wonderful review! It is lovely to hear that you would recommend our hotel and that the staff, location and room impressed you. We look forward to your return!
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

good, attentive staff. clean bathrooms. small rooms. long corridors. horrible food for breakfast. spa fab, clean and empty - did stay mid week. the location has recently been upgraded from artsy to absolutely terrifying. spaced out down and outs everywhere, did not feel safe even in the middle of the day. police in presence in numbers along uxbridge road (?). no matter how good value for money the hotel is, there's no way you'd want to stay there if you knew anything about london. surrounded by social housing.

Room Tip: only go for upper floors, unless you want someone throwing a brick through your window.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed some elements of your stay but am sorry that you did not like the location and found it unsafe. In London, caution is recommended wherever you go, and I have personally never felt threatened or unsafe in the locality of the hotel, however I am sorry you felt otherwise and I hope that it did not detract too much from your stay…and just to put your mind at rest we have never had a brick thrown through our window!!! Kind regards,
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Stayed 1 night for business. Checked in a staff were very efficient. I got upgraded and got a large room with desk, sofa Bose hifi, DVD player and a decent sized TV.
Room service was good, food very good.
Would recommend, close to Shepherds Bush shopping centres and underground.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
k-west_hotel, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Its a nice hotel, but nothing special for the price. Rooms were very small and bothrooms were smaller. The room was clean and well kept.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you found the rooms to be clean and well kept, but I am sorry that you found the rooms to be small. Maybe on your next stay you could book into one of our larger rooms - We hope to welcome you back to K West soon!
Hilary Cross

Been to K West Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!