“Tight squeeze” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Norfolk Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royal Norfolk Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Norfolk Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 London Street | Norfolk Square, London W2 1HH, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #905 of 1,062 Hotels in London
Shanghai, China
“Tight squeeze”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Not the biggest nor fanciest of hotels with very, very basic amenities. BUT, great location, just off Paddington station (exit towards Praed Street), and another 100-150 meters away. Staff were accommodating, and managed to bring my luggage up to the 2nd floor (elevator not working, which I assume has been a long while now given the same reviews in the past). BUT, as it is, LOCATION is what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I read the reviews for this hotel and turned up with some trepidation. The location is superb, just a minute from Paddington Station and just across the road from our favourite pub, The Sawyers Arms. The staff were very polite and welcoming. The decor is tired, but nothing a lick of paint wouldn't cure. The room, it is small, but there is a good sized bed and flat screen tv. The bed was very comfortable, the sheets were clean and the pillows were a decent size and not too flat. The hotel as a whole was very warm, which being late winter is no bad thing, however you can't open the windows so it could get a bit stifling in the room, but there is an air vent which did help. The bathroom although very tiny, was functional, though the shower was small the water was hot. The room was cleaned every day, and on our first day there I forgot my phone, the cleaner found it and placed it on the bed, for which I was grateful. The breakfast was nice, very filling. Our deal included the English breakfast but others could upgrade for £2, which I thought was pretty good. The staff would greet you with a "good morning" and asked if you would like juice, tea, coffee, etc. They brought fresh toast and offered to replenish that if we wished. The breakfast was cooked to order which for a central London hotel is a very nice touch, they even offer a choice of fried, scrambled or poached egg. I would definitely stay here again, because for the deal we had (£165 for 3 nights) is very, very good value for a central London hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Faro, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my second experience at the Royal Norfolk and I found that the hotel is increasingly degraded. For example at this time the elevator was not working ...
The best in this hotel is its excellent location, whether for walking whether for the tube or buses.
The breakfast is also quite acceptable.
Anyway, the Royal Norfolk for the price you pay, in low season, is a good choice if you are not too picky and especially if you are lucky with the room that you have been designated.
I say so because we was a party of 8 and the quality of the rooms varies greatly from room to room.
I hope I have luck if I come back to the the Royal Norfolk ...

Room Tip: Choose a twin, never a double room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'll start with the positives.
The location was fantastic. We were a 30 second walk from the Paddington underground which was on 4 separate lines (incl. the Circle and District). The breakfast was served very quickly in the mornings and was a very decent size (unlimited toast!).

Now, the negatives.
Our room had absolutely no natural light. It was room 140. There was scaffolding outside the windows blocking the light. We didn't realise this until the second day as we arrived at night and left very early the following morning. As well as that, we were woken VERY early by workmen on the scaffolding having loud and inappropriate conversations.

The heat in the room was unbearable. The radiator was on full and the knob had been taken off so we couldn't even lower the heat. In addition to that, the window wouldn't open more than 2 or 3 inches. Anyway, we didn't want to leave the window open at night due to the ladders and scaffolding outside. We couldn't sleep due to the heat and we got up the next day feeling quite nauseous. We had to get someone to disable the radiator at the end of the second day.

The room itself was absolutely tiny. There wasn't even enough floor space to leave our case flat on the floor. We had to leave it standing up straight against the door.

The "ensuite" was half the size of the ensuite I had in a cruise ship cabin last summer. It was only slightly larger than a portaloo. The floor flooded within moments of the shower being turned on and took far too long to drain.

After being flushed, the toilet groaned very loudly. We could even hear the toilets from other rooms groaning at all times of the day and night.

The door to the room was very flimsy. It felt like a decent push could pop it open, even when locked.

The hairdryer was awful, but that isn't a major issue.

The reception staff were very unfriendly. They were talking on their mobiles, making people have to wait around. They made us feel like an inconvenience.

If someone has difficulty with steps, this isn't the place for them. There were no lifts (that worked) and we had to go through a maze of stair cases to get to our room... which was on the "first floor".

I will acknowledge that we paid only £65 a night for the room, which is a relatively economy price. However, I have stayed in hostels that were in considerably better condition. Since getting home, I looked up the prices for the Hilton around the corner. It would only have cost an extra £20 per night. If I were to go back to London, I would be happy to go back to the same area but I would be checking into the Hilton, not the Royal Norfolk.

Room Tip: Room 140 had no natural light. Avoid it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Penzance, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

What a horrible experience! Thankfully we had only booked for one night as it was a stop off on our way home from holiday; we needed somewhere close to Paddington and unfortunately that fact is the only thing that this hotel has going for it. If we had booked more than one night, I would have checked out immediately.
We had a relatively smooth late evening check in only to be told that the lift was out of order and would have to drag our cases up the stairs. We were given a room on the 1st 2nd and 3rd floors as we were travelling with three others.
Our room on the 2nd floor was of adequate size but had a horrible stale smell; the en suite bathroom was dirty and very clumsy - a shower over the bath without a shower curtain or curtain pole, a large pillar in front of the WC making it impossible to sit down and dirty lino on the floor which desperately needed replacing. There was a sign on the inside of our door advising us to keep the door locked at all times including when we were in the room and a sign on the window saying not to open the windows. The lock on our door was faulty.
I personally refused to eat breakfast there in the morning even though we had paid for breakfast, instead I chose to eat somewhere locally - I could just imagine how dirty the kitchen could have been. Two of the people I travelled with said the breakfast itself was ok although the utensils and service provided was very tired.
Upon checkout we dragged our cases down the stairs to the amazement that the cleaner had plugged an extension lead into an extension lead and into an extension lead in order to plug the vacuum in to reach the top floor (6th floor) - these leads were unattended and a serious health and safety hazard as they trailed up the numerous stairs.
The guy on reception was rather rude as he never replied when spoken to.
They did hold our luggage in a lockable cupboard near reception as checkout was at noon but I ensured that everything was padlocked and secure before leaving it unattended.
Altogether a very uneasy feeling in this hotel - should be closed down until major renovation work has been completed.
Housekeeper shouted at us when we tried to take a picture of the interior telling us that cameras were prohibited inside and no pictures were allowed - they know they should not be trading!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Plymouth, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was simply appalling.

From the outside it looks run down, poorly cared for abs unloved. Inside the grade staircase alludes to a much better internal standard however that feeling was short lived.

Finding our room up a flight a stairs, down 4 steps up 3 steps down some more then at the end of a narrowing hall we find it. The smallest, most cramped poorly designed box I have ever stayed in. A small double bed (4ft wide) and so short my 5 foot 8 frame hung off the end, the head or the bed with no headboard and not against the wall meaning the pillows feel off. The worst part by far was the shocking 'en suite' smaller than that located in a caravan, so small with the shower curtain pulled closed you couldn't move to wash yourself. The toilets having a built in shredder hearing them from around the hotel all night.

The location is the only redeeming feature of this very poor hotel.

Would I stay again? Not on your nelly
Would I suggest you stay? Never

Stay at your perel

• Stayed February 2013
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Firstly, I must say the bedding was clean, and the breakfast Ok but everything else lamentable!
Do not stay at this hotel unless you are fighting fit and can manage all the stairs and the climb to your room.
There is scaffolding all around the hotel right now and guess what, our room (although under rerquests we had asked for a nice view) looked out on to part of the roof (through a frosted window) and further the workmen started work outside our room at 0800 hrs. If we had been long distance travellers wanting to rest, forget it! There was a cement mixer outside the bathroom window and the workmen did not take into account that they were disturbing guests, and were shouting across to each other!
Tiny room, one double and one single - did not need the single so would have made more sense to ditch that and offer a decent sized double.
The TV although flat screen was very small and the reception was hit and miss on the channels.
The only real good point was that the staff at breakfast were attentive and polite.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Norfolk Hotel? Share your experiences!