“Worst Place - Avoid at any cost” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Park Apartments

You added Kensington Park Apartments to your Saves list
Kensington Park Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   58 Kensington Court | Kensington, London W8 5DG, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #1,022 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Worst Place - Avoid at any cost”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I stayed at this place in Sep. Owner was on holiday and an old gentleman entertained me. The first room shown to me had termites on windows, drawers filled with garbage, uncleaned bins, smelly toilets and cobwebs around with rodents trap all around the room. Refusing to stay there, I was put in a different room in basement, which was slightly better with same uncleaned bins, stained bedsheets and a creepy/smelly corridor to enter. When I wanted to check out earlier, I was asked to pay money in full and in CASH, though he had my card details. I left after two days for a better place, but still having issues with charged placed against my card and working with card company.

Pls avoid this place as it is not worth anything. Only location is good enough, everything else about this property is a nightmare.

Room Tip: I was not shown the upper floor rooms so no comment. Ground floor and basement are to be avoided.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I must admit that I was fearing the worst when I read all the terrible reviews of this place! I stayed here on 13th Sept just for a night, and it wasn't so bad.
First of all, my fear was realized when I saw a hand scribbled phone number to call on the door. When I called it, there was no answer, but Roger (the temporary "owner") came to my aid within 5 minutes. The room was a bit of a lottery but, when Kate came to assist, I got a decent and large room in the basement. The room wasn't so clean and it was full of clutter, but it was large and decent enough. The bathroom was also cluttered but everything seemed to work OK. The location in Kensington couldn't be bettered.

Room Tip: Get the room in the basement (apt no 1 if possible)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Don't stay here! Don't stay here! Don't stay here! Stay away at all costs. If this is the only line of my review you read, please listen to it.

The owner is being purposely deceptive with his website, I'm sure to distance himself from the bad reviews here. I checked TripAdvisor and didn't see anything about Kensington Court Aparthotel. I booked the 2 bedroom place for 4 nights, at 200 pounds a night. We had been traveling for 3 weeks without being able to wash clothes, so that was one of the sellers for this place. I also liked the free wifi, the location and love quirky old places that don't have a hotel feel. However, I had a bad feeling about it right after I booked and found the reviews of Kensington Park Apartments and realized they were the same place. I tried to cancel my reservation, but I would have had to forfeit 1/2 the total, even though it was only 15 minutes later. We bit the bullet and went anyway, hoping for the best.

When we arrived, the owner said he had upgraded us to a 2 bedroom 2 bath place instead. Room 13 was on the top floor, a flight of stairs above the elevator. The flight of stairs was narrow, but he had still managed to cram a mattress in it (see pictures).The website says there is a lift to all floors, an outright lie. He told us we could choose between that one and the one we had booked, a 2 bedroom 1 bath on the 1st floor, room 8 and room 13. Room 8 was tiny, 2 rooms with only enough room for a double bed and no walking space and a miniscule kitchen. We opted for room 13 and lugged our stuff up there. We were dismayed to find stained carpet, walls and furniture. There were holes in the walls and sheets, green globs on the wall and ceiling, flaking paint on the windows and a stain on the wall where someone had thrown a wet clothing item (a shirt?) which was still wedged between the wall and the desk. We were provided with 4 thin and tiny towels and never had replacements. The satellite TV didn't work, so we only had a few channels. The "Video Entry System" promised on the website is a mystery to me, is that a DVD player? The wifi didn't work and the owner wasn't available to ask. He basically disappeared after we paid, maybe to go spend our money. We tried to use the washer and it didn't spin, so after all that research to find a place with a washer, we were out of luck. The dryer didn't work either and we had to hang our clothes all around the apartment in order to dry them. We had a problem finding parking and called the owner about it. He was rude on the phone and told us to figure it out on our own. I mentioned that there were holes in the sheets and said, "Yes, that's because they're old." Really?! Then he proceeded to tell us what a great deal we were getting - 3 rooms!

The owner has clearly spent his money on a slick website to lure people in, including using the names Kensington Park Apartments and Kensington Court Aparthotel. The pictures may have been accurate 20 years ago, but now are a parody of what's actually in the rooms. The reception area shown on the website is a complete fiction, borrowed from some other website, surely. The website promises maid service 2 times a week, but we never saw any signs a maid had been in to clean. The full kitchens promised are tiny. Two people can stand in the kitchen, but if one bends over, they're bumping into the other person.

The topper to our 4 days of staying in this rathole firetrap was at checkout. We had called a cab and it was waiting at the curb. We hauled our stuff back down the tiny stairs, past the mattress to the elevator several times. The proprietor was at the desk, but never spoke to us, even when we couldn't get the elevator past the 1st floor on our final load. We were yelling progress reports up and down the stairs, so he surely heard us. I ran up the stairs for a final look through the pit and missed the owner shoving my husband out of the way while saying, "What did you do to my elevator?" - an accusation instead of help. Then he proceeded to verbally harrass my husband, who finally snapped and told him that this was the worst place we had stayed in five months of travel (true). The owner just said, "I don't want to hear bad things about my place." I'm sure that's all he hears!

The saddest thing is that this could be a great place if it was cared for properly. It is like watching a beautiful old lady rot from cancer. This is a lovely old building in a great block. There are embassies all around. And it is most quiet, barring being on the flight path to Heathrow.

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE! But if you must, try room 4 for the least dated furniture.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

When you ask the resident policeman where No. 58 is, it is somewhat alarming when you read his expression. That was my first experience of No. 58 (Not to be confused with No. 51 down the road, which is very nice). Upon arrival I was greeted by a very old, tired and dirty reception, but upon smelling paint gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought that the mess was due to renovations. The two men on reception however did not put me at 'ease' either. After opening the door of the apartment, I was horrified to say the least. It was dirty, the photos on this site are completely right. Plaster falling off the bedroom walls, bathrooms and floors dirty. God knows about the sheets as everything else felt dirty to touch. To top it off security is an issue, no chains or indoor locks or window locks. Don't stay there, even the policeman looked releived when I left!!

Room Tip: None of them - Don't stay there.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We arrived early to ensure that we would get a full day of activities. Hotel management was lazy and struggled with the simplest paperwork, and it took almost an hour to check-in.

Once inside the room, we almost turned back immediately, smell of mould, dampness and questionable overall cleanliness. As we were only meant to stay for a day or two, we said 'what the heck, let's give it ago, we won't be here much anyway". Boy did we regret this decision!

Arriving back to the room late at night, we hear a dripping noise from the ceiling, water dripping down our bed. The entire ceiling was wet and at 4am we had to evacuate to a nearby hotel.

The worse bit came later, an unapologetic hotel manager ordered a plumber to take care of this and offered us a new room. We decided it was not worth the effort, as we, despite being out looking for a new hotel room 4 in the morning, actually managed to find a reasonably priced and infinitely more accommodating alternative.

Still, three days after we discovered that despite promising not to charge us for the room, he had done just that, citing that he thought that we had stayed there anyway (note that this is with water pouring down a bed).

I would not wish my worse enemy this experience, and hence my WARNING!

Room Tip: Don't book, and if you do, beware of basement
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

-The cleanliness of this hotel was absolutely disgusting, the carpet smelt awful, stains and dust everywhere, I even found feces on the toilet seat. The hallways were dirty, baggage and random junk all over the place. Even the reception desk was cluttered and dusty.
- The furniture had not been changed for a very long time, the tv was black and white.
- I'm not sure what it was but it looked like wiring or something was coming out of one of the electrical sockets - extremely dangerous
- The price was way way WAY too high for the quality of the stay. As I had booked online and had not seen the place before hand I could not get a refund upon entering and discovering this disaster of a hotel.
-On top of all of this, the service was horrendous. Extremely rude man at the front desk, very unhelpful, sarcastic and unpleasant.

The only good thing about this hotel was the location and THATS IT. I was dreading going back after my days out and honestly, it put a downer on my whole time in London.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I stayed in the front basement flat. Public areas were cluttered, dirty and had not been decorated (or cleaned) in decades. Room itself was disgusting - very grubby everywhere, rodent traps in the room, television & bathroom light did not work. Curtains would not fully close. The bed sheets & mattress were OK, but everything else was squalid. I stuck it out as I paid in advance, but I would actually not let my dog stay here. I have stayed in some cheap hotels, so I know what to expect for my money, but at £150 a night this was a joke, even for Kensington. Since leaving I have had 2 long showers, but i still feel grubby

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Kensington Park Apartments? Share your experiences!