“Perfect Hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Montcalm London

You added The Montcalm London to your Saves list
The Montcalm London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34-40 Great Cumberland Place | Top of Park Lane, Marble Arch, London W1H 7TW, England (Marylebone)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STAY 4 NIGHTS GET 15% OFF
Ranked #15 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cheshunt
“Perfect Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband & I stayed overnight at this hotel after being overbooked at another Hotel in Leicester Square. The staff were extremely efficient, welcoming & friendly. We were upgraded to a club room which was clean comfortable and catered for our every need. Breakfast was excellent and when they realised it was my Husbands Birthday staff provided us with a welcome glass of champagne. They then provided us with a complimentary taxi back to the theatre district.
Exemplary accommodation we won't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Joyce M,

Thank you so much for this amazing review! I am incredibly pleased to see that the transfer of hotels and the upgrade contributed positively to your stay in the end. I am glad you liked the breakfast as well, and rest assured I have shared your nice comments with the Restaurant Team. We are actually currently in the process of updating and improving our breakfast menu; I would love the opportunity to show off all the new items and dishes to you. Please do get in touch next time your travels take you to the West End and it would be my pleasure to personally take care of all arrangements.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Hook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The only reason I can't give The Montcalm five stars is that I didn't spend all that much time there awake. I deposited my luggage and had a shower in the nice bathroom, then left again. The next morning, I ate breakfast and departed. The service at reception was excellent, both times, as was service at breakfast. Otherwise, I have no right to comment.

It's in a slightly different part of London from that which I tend to visit (I did get quite a lot of exercise, this time). When I need a hotel near Hyde Park, or Marble Arch, I'll definitely come back to The Montcalm.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Owen_Morgan,

Thank you for for having taken the time to share your feedback online and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, despite it being such a short one. I hope that on the next occasion you will have a bit more time so that we will have the opportunity to truly showcase the extent of our service levels and product offering. I look forward to personally welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Essex uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

From the time we entered this hotel till the time we left we was completely spoiled!! We walked into this beautiful aroma. The front desk staff were very helpful and welcoming.
The hotel has a real warm homely feel. We had upgraded our room to a club room, it was amazing!
We had room service, and this was really nice although it did take a while to get to our room!
And on the Sunday they had forgotten a few items that we had ordered but the staff were very apologetic. The bed was so comfy and the house staff were very hard working. My husband and myself have stayed in lots of hotels in London but this defiantly topped them all! We will be booking for the new year for my husbands birthday. I would highly recommend this hotel. Thankyou all at Montcalm for such a wonderful experience. ❤️

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Claire S,

Wow! Thank you so much for your amazing feedback! I am delighted to see that you had a great weekend stay here at the Montcalm. Glad you liked the aroma's as well! Which one did you try? Personally I love the Pink Grapefruit, the citrussy smell is just so refreshing!
I am so sorry about the delays with room service, but I am glad it didn't ruin the stay for you at least. Please rest assured that internal follow up will be done to determine the cause for the delay.
When you do wish to make your next booking, please feel free to contact me directly; I would love to personally take care of all arrangements to ensure another amazing stay, perfect for the special occasion!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Five of us had an excellent 'afternoon tea' here at the somewhat early hour of 12.30pm (to fit in with a matinee we were going to later in the afternoon). Service was charming, from the first-class doorman who instantly realised I was the final member of the party and helpfully directed me to where my friends were sitting waiting in reception to the prompt, attentive waiting staff.

Good range of sandwiches, although the one made using bread which looked like chocolate cake and tasted a bit like that (didn't go with the savoury filling!) wasn't a favourite. Scones light and fluffy and a wide choice of seasonal cakes, ranging from stollen to gingerbread men.

Why not five stars? We booked a 'two for the price of one' offer. When I explained to the hotel (in advance) that we were going to be an odd number, I'd expected them to halve the cost of the fifth place. They were not willing to do so - although in fairness to them, they did offer a good discount on the full price. We only had food for five and the place certainly wasn't full, so it seemed rather petty that a 'singleton' was penalised for not coming as part of a couple.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JLWreview,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback online; It was very nice to see that you enjoyed the Afternoon Tea and that the service met your expectations. Please rest assured your kind words have been shared with Kamen, our Doorman on the day, and the Restaurant Team. I am sorry that the rye bread option wasn't to your liking - we put it in to give a better and more colourful variety to the bread and fillings - on the next occasion, however, please do feel free to ask for any alternatives, and we would be more than pleased to personalise the offering entirely to your liking.
I am also sorry if we came across as not being generous enough with extending the two for one offer - We intend to provide value for money at all times whilst maintaining the highest possible standards, and it is absolutely not our intention to nickle and dime our guests.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back personally should you decide to visit the hotel or the restaurant again. When you do, please do feel free to get in touch with me directly, and it would be my pleasure to assist wherever possible.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

It was our first time staying at the Montcalm Hotel the weekend just gone. On arrival we were greeted by the very friendly doorman. At check in the receptionist asked if were were in London for any special occassion, and we stated it was one of our birthdays. As a result they sent a bottle of champagne to our room - a lovely touch. The rooms were lovely however the room we were in was extremely small. The next morning we asked if we could switch rooms and we upgraded to a club room for a additional per night fee. It It was 100% worth it. The next room which was a Club Room had a lot more space. We made use of the spa which was nice. Overally a lovely experience, really great staff and great location. 30 second walk and you are on Oxford Street or in Hyde Park.

Room Tip: Select the Club Rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear AOM1234,

Happy (belated) Birthday! Thank you for your kind words and rest assured they have been shared with the team here at the Montcalm. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and had a great birthday weekend, and you enjoyed our spa as well. Did you try out the exercise pool at all? It really is a great way to burn a few calories, and the best part is that you can jump out any time and lie down and relax onto our heated loungers!
Should you next decide to pay a visit to London, please don't hesitate to get in touch, and it would be my pleasure to assist and organise another club room for you.
Thank you again for your lovely feedback and I look forward to personally welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed at the Montcalm in November for one night.On arrival the staff were very welcoming and helpful ,our every need was catered for.The lady who checked us in showed us to our room which is always a lovely touch.The room we stayed in wasn't massive ,but had everything you needed for comfortable stay and was very clean and well appointed.Location of the hotel was great for shops and restaurants and the tube was just on the corner.I would highly recommend this hotel ,we had a great stay and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Paul B,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review, and such a nice one on top of that! I have shared your feedback with Alice, who checked you in, and she also wanted to express her gratitude to you. Please do get in touch when your travels next take you 'Down South' to London, and it would be my pleasure to personally assist wherever possible.

Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I booked a suprise visit to the Montcalm as part of my wife's birthday.
The hotel is stunning. Very plush, spotless, and very 5* (even down to a man playing the harp in a dinner jacket).
We were taken to our table, and shown the tea menu. A vast list of exotic teas made my wife's eyes light up. While browsing the menu our Champagne was poured...2 large glasses of Jaquart, very nice.
next followed our teas...and then the sandwiches,scones and cakes.3 Tiers of beauitully displayed food . Fantastic would be an understatement!!!
An amazing experience that we hope to indulge in again soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hanwellhavoc,

I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed the afternoon tea, and please extend my belated congratulations to your wife. I have shared your feedback with our Pastry Chef, Sunil Nanayakkara, who is also very grateful for the kind words. Did you know that he makes every single item on the menu completely from scratch?
In terms of the tea, we have partnered with Jing Tea, one of the most highly internationally acclaimed tea providers; did you have the chance to try the Montcalm Blend which they made especially for us?
Our Harpist is amazing, isn't he? His name is Peter Murphy and he plays here every single weekend during Afternoon Tea hours; his repertoire is impressive, don't be afraid to ask for requests!

Thank you Sir, for your kind words and great feedback. Reviews like these provide the fuel that makes our team come to work with a smile on their face, day in, day out.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Montcalm London? Share your experiences!