“Still a Very Good Hotel Overall” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel

You added The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel to your Saves list
The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piccadilly, London W1J 7BX, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Ranked #647 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Seattle, WA. USA
“Still a Very Good Hotel Overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Needless to say, this hotel is in one of London's best locations. It has seen better years and could use a renovation. Aside from being just a tad dingy, annoyances like creaky floors and inconsistent water pressure serve as reminders of the building's age.
Still, the place has its charm and character. Further, it is clean and comfortable, and the amenities are kept up-to-standard. Fittingly it is priced lower than other luxury hotels in the area, and all things considered I found it to be a good value. I suspect that Starwood will either sell or renovate this property in the near future-- let's hope it's the latter, as it's truly an historic gem that deserves to be restored to its glory.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We have stayed here many times before and written reviews about several of the previous stays. This time I was tempted to down-rate stay to 3 stars, mostly because we had the most modest room that we have stayed in at this hotel (queen sized bed, at end of long hall, no view room barely fit bed, poor cooling controls etc.). However, considering we arrived at 11:30 AM and, as a Platinum, were offered a better room if we waited a few hours, I decided to stay with 4 stars. Also the bed was quite comfortable, I figured away to keep room adequately cool by opening enough windows and (most surprisingly!) my wife liked the nicely sized bathroom and was able to control lighting to her satisfaction (a rare combination indeed!). The breakfast buffet was very good and featured some great freshly baked muffins and even pancakes (from a strange little self-serve machine). I just hope next time they can offer us a better room when we arrive!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I booked into the Park Lane with a little trepidation. I usually stay in Starwood hotels, and in the downtown area of London there are five (if you count the Park Tower in Knightsbridge). Of these, the Park Lane is the cheapest, and yet it's on Piccadilly right across the street from Green Park.

How bad must it be with that location? It's cheaper than the Meridien, which I didn't really like all that much. I was worried.

It turns out, this is a far better hotel than I expected, characterized by excellent common areas and a friendly, service-first mentality. The only negative was - sometimes - the food.

My trip was four nights, mainly to see theatre. The hotel, while on Piccadilly, is about a twenty minute walk from the West End venues, although it is a five minute walk from a tube station (two stops to Leicester Square). It is also a twenty minute walk or so to Buckingham Palace and a five minute walk to Hyde Park Corner. All in all, not a bad location.

Admittedly, I got lucky in my room assignment. My Starwood status got me an upgrade to a beautiful suite (my room had a name) overlooking Piccadilly and Green Park. The suite was large, with a separate living room and a recently modernized bathroom. It could easily have been an expensive Mayfair flat for the wealthy. I did see the other rooms, and some were a lot smaller. Still, they were all very clean and well set up, and even without the luxury I would still have liked the hotel.

Checkin was good, and very responsive to my needs. The hotel has a small business centre near the front desk, with facilities for most normal requirements. The high speed internet access was good, and the parking, while expensive (as is the case everywhere in London), was well located directly across from the entrance.

This is an older hotel, so it has the old style of lobby bar, which has possibly the best ambiance I've seen outside of Paris. The service in the Palm Court, as its called, is impeccable, and the bar is open from lunch time, through a popular afternoon tea, to late night after theatre. I never saw it empty, which I think is a testament to the excellent service. The one negative was the food. While the menu looks pretty good, the actual execution of the dishes ranged from poor (terrible cheese sticks and spring rolls) to mediocre (Shepherd's Pie that needed some revamping) to adequate. With that exception, the Palm Court gets top marks on all counts.

I also ate in Bracewells, the "coffee shop" off the lobby mainly used for breakfast. Again, the food was not amazing (although better than the Palm Court), but the personal service from the staff there was very very good. Despite being a busy restaurant, they remembered me after the first day, and were quick to try to make me feel comfortable and happy. My overwhelming impression was of staff who saw making their customers happy as being the central element of their jobs, and they did it well.

The one exception to the food "negative" was Citrus, the Italian-themed fine dining room. I have reviewed that separately, because it was that good.

Despite the caveat about the food, this hotel was much much better than I expected. The overall theme is great service, which tells me that someone - managers, owner, even just the staff themselves - understands how to have a top hotel. I came away thinking that this has to be my new London hotel, whenever I come back to this city.

Here's a sense of how good it was. The hotel is quite old, so no surprise they are doing a major renovation starting in the fall. (I believe it will be closed for a while, although don't quote me on that.) Hotels of this age should get renovations, but there is a little part of me that says "No, no, don't ruin it." They won't, I'm sure, but when a hotel like this is getting it so right, I have a certain hesitation because I don't want them to lose that in the process of becoming "better".

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

The public areas of this place look great and you get the feel that this is a 4/5 star hotel. However when you get to your room, it's far from it. Small, tired, no kettle or tea/coffee (you have to ring down and specifically request this) and the view from our room on the third floor was of a brick wall.

When we got back to our room in the evening we noticed that it was cold and we couldn't get the heating to work. We rang down to reception to enquire and was told that the heating had broken down and an engineer had been there all day trying to fix it. A portable heater was sent up to us.

Bearing in mind we were cold to start with, we then found that our bed had been made up with a double duvet cover and what seemed like a single duvet inside it. Masses of spare cover on each side and no warm duvet. Never mind, let's have a cuppa to warm up. Not as easy as you think due to the severe lack of plugs in the room. So we have the kettle on the floor in the corner next to the only available spare plug!!

We check out and make our grievances known. It turns out that the reason for the problems is that the hotel is old and is waiting for major refurbishment. The heating - it hadn't broken down at all. We were told that it had been turned off in readiness for the scorching hot summer.

My wife travels a lot and is an SPG member and we booked the room using some of the loyalty points accrued through staying in Starwood hotels. She pointed out that she is also a platinum card holder with IHG and their hotels are of a superior standard to this one. Our complaint was passed on to the Duty Manager who agreed to refund a proportion of the points used to book this room but we did feel short changed.

To summarise, in its current condition, this is only a 3 star hotel that charges 5 star prices. It's location is excellent but I'm sure that there are better hotels in the area for the price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ParkLaneHotelManager, General Manager at The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to share your review following your stay. It is very disappointing to hear that your stay was not very comfortable, especially due to the low temperature in your room. Please accept our apologies for that, I understand how uncomfortable this was for you and I regret that this spoilt your stay with us.
We hope to be able to welcome you again another time.
Hotel Manager
Gosport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stayed on 2nd May for one night.
Location is very good although a little tricky to find from tube station, so call reception to get them to point you out to the correct exit.
Anyway, checking in smooth.
The room we were given was on 4th floor and was very well appointed,good size an clean.
Double bed was a very good size, bedding was a good quality and we had a very good night sleep.
The.bathroom was a good size and despite not being all modern we actually liked the old fashioned decor, in our opinion it added to its charm.
We booked a classic room and wherever it was, we were pleased.
The check out is at 12, which is great and again the check out was smooth, we were asked about our stay.
The main tea room/ bar was very nice, we had nice relaxing drinks there.
Didn't eat at this hotel so cannot comment on food.
Overall this hotel exceeded my expectations especially after reading some of the really negative comments here.
I can recommend this hotel.
We would return and stay again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I booked this through Lastminute.com. I could not believe the price and the was really excited to tell my wife we were staying in a 5 star hotel.

We arrived mid afternoon but were so underwhelmed by the front of the hotel we missed the entrance and actually walked in the hotel next door by mistake. In fact the hotel next door was far more welcoming, there was a even a doorman who opened the door, something we expected from the 5 star next door. We went back to the hotel we had booked and walked in the front. This was in fact the back, not the front and were not greeted by anyone. You then have to walk through the restaurant to find the cramped reception area, again very underwhelming a theme we were going to feel again and again.

When we entered our room it was dark and dingy, the view out of the window was laughable, just a dirty roof and a wall. There was poor lighting and the room was small. The décor was dated and the furniture was old and far from grand. The bathroom was in need of refurbishment and the grouting was cracked. The toilet was in a separate room and was incredibly cramped. There was a large bath but it was hardly a pleasure to sit there and admire the room. The bathrobe felt more rough, not soft as you'd expect and you will have to share as there's only one. We slept ok, but were woken twice by loud gurgling from the bathroom plugholes.

If you were thinking of sitting down and having a coffee as you can in every other hotel I have ever stayed in then you have to make a call to the restaurant which to me seems very odd. Also, the base of the kettle exists in the room but not the kettle!

So, the hotel charges 5 star prices for the rooms, food in the restaurant and drinks in the bar, but to me the hotel as far as our own experience was is more of a 3 star. We liked the location in central London, Green Park just over the road and the tube a few minutes walk away, but in future we will not be coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Our impression was that as we had booked through Lastminute.com we were given the cheep room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We hope to be able to welcome you again another time.
Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Firstly, this was booked via a discount web site so we paid £123 against £280 standard rate - do hotels allocate you their worst rooms as a result?
Anyway, the reception area is a broom cupboard with surly staff and a condescending attitude - not welcoming at all. We enquired about afternoon tea and were told we needed to have booked at least two months in advance and they really pleased to tell us we couldn't get in! When we walked through the tea room it was almost completely empty but every table had a reserved tag on it so not really sure if they did have reservations or not.
Room we had was really poor - small, old decorations and ancient fitments. The bathroom in particular was really old and not very pleasant at all. The room was so small I thought I was sleeping in the corridor! One positive note was that we found the bed really comfy.
The hotel might be overlooking Green Park but our room was overlooking a dirty alleyway and a brick wall!
We had a late night drink with friends and were charged £96 for 8 drinks (2 small glasses of mediocre house wine and 6 rum and cokes) by a bored and disinterested member of staff. Incredible charge for a not very pleasant experience! This might have been acceptable for a 5* star experience but this struggled to get beyond travelodge standards.
I gave 2 stars for 1) the location which is excellent and 2) Richard the concierge who proved that service is achievable even at this poor hotel.

Do not even think of paying full price - there are much much better alternatives out there!

This hotel is trading on the location and somehow getting five stars (who awards these things anyway?!?)...don't go there until they get a serious make-over/refurbishment and change the staff! (apart from Richard obviously)

Room Tip: Either make sure you get a significant discount against rack rate or go somewhere else....
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
ParkLaneHotelManager, General Manager at The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear NSNODickie, thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience here at The Sheraton Park Lane Hotel. We're sorry to hear that your arrival experience was not very welcoming and that we were unable to accommodate you for Afternoon Tea in the Palm Court Lounge. Depending on which day you arrived, the Afternoon Tea may have been fully booked yet (especially towards the weekend), however I am sure we could have offered you alternatives at The Park Tower Knightsbridge or Le Meridien Piccadilly (both Starwood properties). Glad to hear though that you were very satisfied with the service at the Concierge desk and Richard in particular, we have shared your kind comments with him and we thank you for recognising his great service.
Once again, our apologies for the less than positive aspects of your stay. We currently offer a special Wedding Dresses Afternoon Tea - we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the Palm Court Lounge soon.
Kieran Quinn

Been to The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!