“Room is fine, service and location are superb.” 4 of 5 stars

The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piccadilly, London W1J 7BX, England (Mayfair)   |
Ranked #643 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Room is fine, service and location are superb.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is an older hotel, and the rooms are functional, if not the last word in luxury. The service and location - which for me are more important than a room full of gimmicks I wont use - were just superb. Some context: I was taking over a booking from a single japanese colleague who requested a smoking room. Unbeknown to me he had also moved the dates by one day. So I turned up with a wife and two kids in tow thinking the booking had been changed. It hadn't but the girl on reception didnt miss a beat. She chatted to my daughter whilst telling me a non-smoking room would be better as we had kids, did we need an extra bed and just fyi I wasnt due to arrive until tomorrow so would I be checking out early? Under the circumstance the entire process, which could have been a disaster, was excellent. Re the location, I live in Malaysia but London is my home town. Walking from the hotel to the Original Hard Rock Cafe for lunch 50 yards away, then down through Green Park to see Buckinginham Palace, then the Houses Of Parliment, The London Eye, South Bank, back across the river to Covent Garden, Regents Street, late lunch in Mayfair then a bottle of wine and nibbles from M&S on the deck chairs in Green Park in the early evening before crossing over the road - past the artists - to the hotel made for a perfect, tube free, day in London. Highly recommended. Or the Holiday Inn around the corner if you are not on a company freebie. Same great location, less cost.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ParkLaneHotelManager, General Manager at The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear mark c,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted to read that your stay lived up to your expectations and the Front Desk assisted you with your reservation due in the following day. I have shared your comments with the team about how you enjoyed the service and we do hope to welcome you and your family back!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

There isn't anything wrong with the hotel as such. It is just that it is very old which itself isn't a problem were it not for the high price. But, this is a general problem in London. In any other city in Europe the room would be of a modern standard and half the price. An example: the air conditioning consists of a portable unit in the corner (of a small room which costs £300/400 a night). Similarly, the bathroom was antique. Maybe foreign visitors find this all very quaint but if I am going to pay a lot if money I want more than quaintness. Given its location and the fact the bed is pretty comfortable I would still recommend this hotel (what's the alternative?). The issues I am describing here could be attributed to a lot of hotels in London which have seen their best days.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear VeitchB,

Thank you for your comments about your stay. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay, especially having found our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper comfortable after I am sure a busy day!

Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed one night Mid-August and again four nights first week of September on SPG points on a Platinum account.
First night we were put in a small standard room with a floor-standing a/c unit taking up the little bit of floor space there was in the room.
For the four night stay the platinum status supposedly got us upgraded to an executive room on fourth floor. We were told rooms were not yet available, but one (check-in desk gave a room number) would be available in 15 minutes and they would send our luggage there. While waiting we went by the consierge, who recommended and booked a couple day tours for us. When this was done we went back to check-in, got a room key, and went to what we were told would be our room. We entered the executive room area, went to the room, tried the card key, and it wouldn’t work. Looked at the card key holder and see the room number written on it is on the first floor. Left wife there while I go back to check-in and get told we were placed in another executive room that was available while the original room wasn’t. Went back to four th get my wife. While there we see someone from housekeeping who tells us she is long finished with the room. We tell our story and ask if we can get in to see if our luggage is in the room. She cannot let us in but checks and confirms our bags are in a ready room. We go back to check-in and state our bags are in the original room, to be told they would move our bags to the new room. We go to the room. It is an oversized corner room, but not comparable with any Sheraton executive room I have been in. It looks like we were moved because someone wanted to go cheap on the platinum upgrade. The room had issues:
o End tables, dresser, and desk were old childrens furniture. We had to fight with drawers to open and close them.
o Room had central air, but just a fan on/off switch and a thermostat that did not change temperature flow.
o Towel rack is hot water pipes that give warm towels, but the hot water was not flowing. Desk said it is shut off in summer because it makes the room too hot. Odd that it was off in an “executive” room in early September, but on in a standard room mid-August.
o Toilet required multiple flushes to clear fecal matter.
o After first night, housekeeping decided we only needed one bathroom glass.
o Was way too hot sleeping under comforter, so we removed it from duvet. Asked for just a top sheet. Was told housekeeping would take care of it. We found the duvet now held a blanked instead of comforter, but that was still too warm. We removed the blanket each night.
o Woke the first morning at 5:30, disturbed by garbage trucks making pick-up directly below us. Slept thru other mornings, not sure if it was because they didn’t pick-up those mornings or we consumed sufficient alcohol each dinner.
o We did get a coffee maker – you have to know to ask.
After our first tour we are reading co brochure and learn we are eligible for senior rates – 20Pounds total that we had to work with tour co next morning to get a refund. You would think the concierge would have said something to us. At check-out we were greeted with a smile and asked how our stay was. I replied simply “ok”, the young lady did not deserve what I would have unloaded on her with an honest answer. On future London visits we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RS1958,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am disappointed to learn that on both ocassions, your stay did not meet your expectations. Rest assured I have shared your comments about the overall room condition to the relevant managers for further action.

San Rafael, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I spent two nights at this Sheraton with my son on our summer vacation. One night was free on my Sheraton Points. The hotel is nicely located by Hyde Park. It is in Mayfair and the neighborhood is great. The rooms are very small and although very clean, the rooms need upgrading from the 80's style. I would consider staying here again if I had a deal or could use my points and I did love the location, but would prefer a hotel with larger rooms and better amenities.

Note, I did love the lounge. It is large and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Daisyss,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with your son and found the location to be convenient for your needs.

I do hope to welcome you back in the future!

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Have been staying here forever and it has become synonymous with any trip to London.
It has a beyond great location N,S,E or W of it and is surrounded by parks so fantastic to walk to wherever via a park.
It is an old property and has those lovely creaking yet well padded carpet floors but the advantage is the size of the rooms/ suites that have not become 'new-world' - bathrooms are lovely old-world too although the amenities could definitely improve.
They have the very well equipped Shepherd's Market just behind and loads of cafe's around - the Ritz, Fortnum and Mason and Patisserie Valerie are right there.
Many lovelier places sprout up all the time but for my family and me this is almost home!

Room Tip: We always insisit on a Green park or Hyde park view room/ suite!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Candy_Khullar,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am delighted to read that you and your family stay with us on many ocassions and you find the rooms to be quaint and charming.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back hopefully soon!

scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

No idea where they got their 5 stars from - could be the entrance as the lounge area is very impressive. Bedroom was tired, bathroom was worn, no tea/coffee facilities - unless requested - they did arrive but not a biscuit in sight. Only one robe and no slippers in the wardrobe - just poor service really

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear feeanddee,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I was disappointed to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations; especially in regards to your room allocation.

On a more positive note, I was happy to learn that you enjoyed our public areas, especially the Palm Court bar which is our art deco lounge.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We booked via lastminute and, having seen previous reviews, were a little worried. BUT I think a lot of reviewers have overlooked the fact that this is not a purpose built shiny new resort hotel, but a beautiful original building with many classical features located in the densely populated heart of Mayfair. This means that not every room will have a view and I guess if you wanted a view over Green Park, it would come at a premium. The Palm Court is simply beautiful; high ceilings and wide corridors are also features of the building. The hotel staff were extremely accommodating. We had requested a twin room but found it to be a double. Within 10 minutes of raising this, housekeeping staff appeared and cheerfully split the bed and remade it into two singles. We requested a complimentary tea/coffee tray (as advertised in the room) way after midnight and it was delivered promptly. The room itself was large and comfortable, and admittedly a little tired, but clean and comfortable - we really couldn't complain. A great base for a weekend shopping and close to the nightlife.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JanisLo,

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am delighted to have read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found the team to be attentive and professional throughout your stay. I do hope to have the chance to welcome you back!

Hotel Manager

Been to The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!