“Good location, rooms need a bit of attention.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel to your Saves list
The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piccadilly, London W1J 7BX, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Ranked #644 of 1,073 hotels in London
“Good location, rooms need a bit of attention.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Booked the hotel on last-minute .com the afternoon of arriving in London. The building is well placed just a few minutes walk from the nearest tube station, buckingham palace etc, and as some previous posts state, the public areas are spectacular. Unfortunately for a 5* hotel? I feel the rooms let it down somewhat. A mini fridge that didn't work, a bath with great big flakes of paint coming away from the inside, in room temperature controls with no instructions, and considering the hotel sells itself on its 30's grandeur, absolutely no character. on the first night we spoke to the head concierge and arranged tea making facilities to be brought to the room as they aren't initially provided, on our second night on our way out to the theatre we asked for the milk/teabags etc to be topped up and the gentleman now at the desk said he was unable to arrange this and we would need to go back up to our room and ring down to roomservice. as we had a taxi waiting we had to sort it later that evening ... so all in all the staff helpfullness was varied, some very good, some not so! had.we been paying full price I would have complained at the time, but being as we got a great deal online and we spent most of the time out and about in London it was wonderfully located for getting about and was a very comfortable bed for getting your head down at the end of a long day!

• Stayed November 2012
ColinBennett, General Manager at The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear easygoingrainbow,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that although you found the hotel to be of great convenience to you during your stay, the room did not meet your expectations. I have taken the liberty to share your feedback with the rest of the managers.

Should you find yourself back in London, please feel free to contact me, and I would be more than delighted to welcome you back.

1,959 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Polish first
Leesburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We just sent four nights at this Startwood property. Best thing: the location next to Hyde Park within easy walking distance of Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace and inexpensive cab or tube rides to most other tourist sites and businesses in central London. The hotel is close to the Green Park tube stop which means a straight shot from Heathrow Airport without changing trains which saves a lot of money over either a taxi or express train to Paddington station.

Second best quality of property: beautiful public areas -- make sure you have drinks or dessert in the main bar\lounge area with it's over-stuffed couches and chairs, marble columns and deep wood paneling. The afternoon tea is superb as well.

The one down side are the rooms which, frankly, have cheap furniture and not much character. They just generally do not live up to the public areas though they were clean and reasonably quiet even on the 2nd floor where we stayed.

As just about always with Starwood properties, the staff were attentive, friendly and helpful. The head concierge, Stuart, was especially helpful on several occasions -- both knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile. However, the other concierge staff did make mistakes -- not telling us that the big flea market on Nottinghill was on SATURDAY and not SUNDAY and not knowing anything at all about the Jane Austen home and museum in Chawton.

Room Tip: Check to see if Starwood is running a points and cash special -- they can be very worthwhile. Also...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tim P,

I was delighted to read that overall, you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us and found the location as well as the building and it´s décor to beautiful and suited to your needs. I was also happy to read that you found our Concierge team to be extremely attentive, friendly and helpful during your stay and I have shared your comments with them.

Should you find yourself back in London at a future date, please do not hesitate to contact me and I would be more than happy to repeat this experience with you.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed one night in September with my partner. I use an electric wheelchair. I had booked on-line and there had been a problem with my booking, which was sorted out when I complained by email. I will therefore not mention it here, particularly since the manager Kieran Queen made amends with an apology card, champagne and chocolates sent to our room, shortly after our arrival. I was asked to withdraw my review here, so I did so shortly after arrival.

On arrival, I told the receptionist that we intended to go to the Palm Court bar that evening for a drink, and asked her to check that the stair-lift was in working order, as I wanted to have a pleasant time and not be further upset by bad arrangements for my wheelchair. She assured me it was. I asked her to try the stair-lift (we were only a few metres from it). She assured me this would not be necessary as it was in perfect working order.

That evening we went out. The entrance for the hotel is on Brick Road, at the back of the hotel. It is a narrow one-way street which acts as delivery entrance for several businesses. Most of it has no side-walk on the hotel side. On the other side the pavement is very narrow, with frequent car entrances and inadequate gradients for a wheelchair.

There is a taxi rank, which means taxis block the side of the road nearest the buildings. I was forced to drive my wheelchair along the middle of the narrow road. It was still day-light so I was very visible and although it made me wary, I wasn´t feeling in any danger. However, when I returned it was night, street lighting was poor and there were many cars using it as a short-cut and driving quite quickly. I had asked my companion to go in through the Palm bar to find us a table suitable for my wheelchair. I was in danger of being run over by a car, they were coming up behind me in the dark, and once i turned into Brick Road it was even more unsafe as being beyond the sharp bend, they would not see me until they were upon me. The ground was uneven and I could not go so fast. It really was frightening and dangerous.

When I got to the hotel, I went through the back lobby to the Palm bar. A member of staff from the entrance area went with me and opened the double doors. Then he went to find someone to operate the lift. I got in and we quickly found out it wasn´t working. I couldn´t go down and the safety bar would not lift to let me out either. To cut short 20 mins, of waiting, eventually I went down in it, a short and jerky ride. Meanwhile my partner, who was waiting to celebrate a personal special occasion with me, was standing anxiously at the bottom of the steps. I was fuming, particularly because I had done my best to avoid having more unpleasantness that could spoil our stay. Later, we again had a difficult time and long wait to get me up the stairs again. The staff at the bar were brilliant... specially the young Brazilian-Italian waiter, lovely guy and excellent training.

The hotel was let down by poor maintenance of disability equipment and the receptionist who basically lied to me instead of trying out the equipment in advance.

Now, Mr Kieran, I note you read these reviews, so I say directly to you: the person at the helm is in charge of safety.

Faulty equipment which carries disabled people can cause dangerous accidents and lasting harm.

Access via a dangerous badly lit back service access is also an accident waiting to happen, one much more dangerous than the faulty equipment inside. A potentially fatal accident. Which is why I am writing this review some weeks later, because the thought has stayed with me, that some other disabled person can have a very bad accident while following instructions to enter via Brick Road in the evening or at night.

Except for one person, your staff are exceedingly polite and genuinely welcoming. I cut down points because the one who did behave badly caused me a very uncomfortable half hour and spoiled a special occasion for my guest as well as for me.

If access via the front entrance were allowed for wheelchair users, I would be glad to visit again. If you would like (free) well-informed technical advice on disabled access for the hotel, do contact me.

Room Tip: Room at the back has some noise from early morning deliveries.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AndreaSalgadoReyes,

Thank you for your review and your views. As with all customer feedback, your points are particularly insightful as they give valuable insights from a disabled guest’s viewpoint. Since your visit some months ago we have made a number of changes including increased training to increase the numbers of people who are able to operate the stair lift, introduction of a letter for disabled guests with suggestions on how best to get around including access to the hotel; these address many of your concerns. Being a 1920s building limits our ability to implement easy fixes however any significant future work we undertake in the hotel we will take steps to further improve the mobility around the building as this will involve significant construction.

For future visits you have my contact details as I’d be delighted to welcome you back or discuss with you further directly.

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

What a great historic hotel! We stayed at the hotel for a special occasion and the staff took amazing care of us! Everyone was so friendly and helpful, from recommendations for great local restaurants, to pointers on the good tourists attractions as well as local sights, to most importantly for Americans in London, good directions. Everyone on staff was eager to please. This is a historic property and well maintained, but if you are looking for ultra modern, the charm and grace of this hotel will be lost on you. As tourists, we couldn't have been happier; we were close to Green Park station which has three lines, enabling us to travel quickly through the City either direct or with only one change. Best bonus: taking the Piccadilly line to and from the airport! We were also walking distance (twenty minutes or less) from great must sees like Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Buckingham Palace, Westminster, and the London Eye. I would highly recommend that if you are staying for an extended period to upgrade to a junior suite, it is well appointment, has a great soaking tub, and beautiful views. A special thank you to Roman Husock at Reception who gave us a great welcome experience and wonderful suggestions.

Room Tip: Splurge on a junior suite, great views, very spacious!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Island-Hopper_77,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent stay.
I am happy to have learned that the team went over and beyond to ensure your stay was as comofortable and enjoyable and that you found the location of the hotel to be extremely convenient for your sightseeing. I have addressed your feedback with the whole team.

Please feel free to contact me or the team should you find yourself back in London at a future date, and I would be more than delighted to repeat this experience with you.

Les Matelles, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Great Location and nice public areas (restaurant, bar) the staff is very helpful, the downside is the rooms are a little quaint and dated but the beds are very comfortable and it is overally a great price for the quality of the location, room service is not very expensive neither is the Citrus restaurant.

Room Tip: demander une upgrade avec vue sur le park
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear FamilleClement,

I was delighted to read that you had an overall memorable experience here at the Sheraton Park Lane, and would like to thank you for detailing your experience with us.

I have shared with the team, how you found the staff to be very helpful during your stay and that you enjoyed the Palm Court Lounge as well as the Citrus restaurant.

Should you and your family find yourself back in London, please do not hesitate to contact me and I would look forward to welcoming you back and repeating this experience.

seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I am a corporate traveler and stayed at this Sheraton earlier in the week. Came back very late tonight after getting off Eurostar and having booked this room a few days earlier. Checked in and there was NO MENTION of being sold out and only having smoking rooms. No honesty. So when I got to the 5th floor and smelled smoke in the hall way I was furious. Went into my room and found an ashtray. Went back to reception had to wait again and was summarily told they could do nothing about it. Not even offer me some discount (even though my company is paying). I'm so furious I"ve got steam coming out of my ears. Never again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Baladeira,

I was disappointed to read that during your recent stay with us, you did not have a positive experience with us and I have shared your comments about being placed into a smoking room with the team , in order to avoid this situation again.

Please feel free to contact me, should you find yourself back in London either for business or pleasure and I would look forward to welcoming you back.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nice friendly hotel - the staff were efficient and polite - excellent location with parking and easy access to Piccadilly,The West End etc - Nice to stay in a well run classic hotel with style - Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Smith10101,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you found the team to be efficient and polite and the location of the hotel to be of good convenience to you during your stay. I have addressed your comments with the whole team and we would be more than delighted to repeat this experience with you at a future date.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Park Lane Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!