My husband & I are in our 60s & have been traveling in Europe since we were in our 20s. I'm American & he's British. From time to time we have a splurge & stay in a 4 star hotel. We decided to stay 3 nights at the Chesterfield, which is our favorite London hotel. Unlike some other up-scale places the staff here is efficient, friendly & even chatty, especially when they're not busy. The hotel is in the safe & exclusive Mayfair neighborhood close to Oxford Street, Picadilly & the Green Park tube station. The exterior is cheery with a red canopy over the front door & pots of geraniums. Inside the decor is Georgian in some areas & Victorian in others--old-fashioned, but in a good way. They have an impressive British-style lobby like out of a Masterpiece PBS series. If you go on their website they offer Internet specials that help save money, but the room rate is well above most people's travel budget. The guests were a mixture of nationalities, but some were Americans traveling with their children.
Most people get the buffet breakfast included with their room, but this trip we choose not to. Instead we took a short walk to the local Sainsburys & picked up yogurt & fruit. We tried lunch at the Chesterfield the first day. I had pea soup, a fantastic, fresh Cobb salad & wonderful multi-grain bread with honey produced by the hotels own bees on the hotel roof, followed by an elegantly served cup of chocolate-flavored tea. The 2nd day we had High Tea in the Conservatory instead of lunch. Lots of goodies--sandwiches, scones & desserts plus more tea. This time I tried the flower tea that "blossoms" inside a glass teapot. 3rd day we had the Dover Sole Meuniere with delicious veggies in the dining room for dinner. We also had drinks in the cozy piano bar after a long day of art galleries. All the wait staff were efficient, detail conscious & very friendly.
Our room was small but clean, the beds comfortable, marble bathroom & the decor was Victorian style. No detail was overlooked--good quality Fragonard toiletries, note pads, stationary, fluffy towels, free bottled water, wifi, newspaper, cable TV, etc. The only downside was the noise from surrounding buildings where they were having loud parties.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Awarded "Best in Class" 2010 in the AA Inspectors’ Choice Awards, The Chesterfield Mayfair continues to be celebrated for its style, comfort, and exalted levels of personal service and is Mayfair’s only hotel to receive this prestigious award in 2010. Discreetly tucked away near Berkeley Square and a mere stone's throw from Green Park Tube station, the quiet, calm and efficient service blended with supreme comfort characterize this deluxe four-star hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Occupancy Marketing, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Splendia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Agoda and Otel so you can book your The Chesterfield Mayfair reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel London
- Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel
- Chesterfield Mayfair London
- The Chesterfield Mayfair London, England