“Friendly 1st Class London Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chesterfield Mayfair

Save Saved
You added The Chesterfield Mayfair to your Saves list
The Chesterfield Mayfair
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Charles Street | Mayfair, London W1J 5EB, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Free Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 1,073 hotels in London
Chicago Suburbs
“Friendly 1st Class London Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband & I are in our 60s & have been traveling in Europe since we were in our 20s. I'm American & he's British. From time to time we have a splurge & stay in a 4 star hotel. We decided to stay 3 nights at the Chesterfield, which is our favorite London hotel. Unlike some other up-scale places the staff here is efficient, friendly & even chatty, especially when they're not busy. The hotel is in the safe & exclusive Mayfair neighborhood close to Oxford Street, Picadilly & the Green Park tube station. The exterior is cheery with a red canopy over the front door & pots of geraniums. Inside the decor is Georgian in some areas & Victorian in others--old-fashioned, but in a good way. They have an impressive British-style lobby like out of a Masterpiece PBS series. If you go on their website they offer Internet specials that help save money, but the room rate is well above most people's travel budget. The guests were a mixture of nationalities, but some were Americans traveling with their children.

Most people get the buffet breakfast included with their room, but this trip we choose not to. Instead we took a short walk to the local Sainsburys & picked up yogurt & fruit. We tried lunch at the Chesterfield the first day. I had pea soup, a fantastic, fresh Cobb salad & wonderful multi-grain bread with honey produced by the hotels own bees on the hotel roof, followed by an elegantly served cup of chocolate-flavored tea. The 2nd day we had High Tea in the Conservatory instead of lunch. Lots of goodies--sandwiches, scones & desserts plus more tea. This time I tried the flower tea that "blossoms" inside a glass teapot. 3rd day we had the Dover Sole Meuniere with delicious veggies in the dining room for dinner. We also had drinks in the cozy piano bar after a long day of art galleries. All the wait staff were efficient, detail conscious & very friendly.

Our room was small but clean, the beds comfortable, marble bathroom & the decor was Victorian style. No detail was overlooked--good quality Fragonard toiletries, note pads, stationary, fluffy towels, free bottled water, wifi, newspaper, cable TV, etc. The only downside was the noise from surrounding buildings where they were having loud parties.

Room Tip: Hard to say. Been there twice & liked both rooms, however the bath was bigger in the 1st room...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed your time with us and that we have earned the title of your favourite hotel in London. It gives me pleasure to know that our central location was perfect for all the landmarks of London and that you loved returning to our cheery hotel after your day exploring.

As a boutique hotel created from a row of 18th century townhouses, we ensure that each room has everything that you will need and I am glad to hear that you found the bed comfortable and the bathroom well laid out. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail here at the hotel and I am glad that you appreciated our fluffy towels, stationery complimentary Wifi and daily newspaper.

My Executive Chef will be happy to learn that you joined us in Butlers Restaurant for both lunch and afternoon tea and that you found the food to be delicious, especially our famous Dover Sole. It gives me great pleasure to read that my staff made you feel welcome and provided for all of your needs during your time in London and I will be sharing your kind words with everyone here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the future.

1,724 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Greek first
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We enjoyed our stay at the Chesterfield Mayfair.

We had one hiccup at the start - we asked for a quiet room in our reservation. We arrived early and our room was not ready so we were offered a room facing a courtyard which we were told would be quiet. The first night (Friday) there was a party in the courtyard and it was noisy but not too bad. A note from hotel management was left in our room to let us know in advance - thoughtful. The next night there was live music that was very loud from the courtyard area. No note this time so we called the front desk and they told us that there was an event/party in the adjacent building. They said they had asked the music to be lowered and that it should end by 10 PM. It was already almost 10 PM but we waited a bit. When there was no sign it would stop or lower in volume (the music drowned out the TV in our room), we called the front desk again and asked to be moved. The response was that it was generally only on weekends, but that wasn't really helpful and we didn't want to risk there being more events during the week or the following weekend when we would still be there so we again asked to be moved. They found a similar room (in the same hall as the room we were initially supposed to be in), no view (over the air units) but at least quiet. As we walked to the new room, we could hear the music through the halls of the hotel. It wasn't a big deal, but it was a bit inconvenient to have to repack, move and unpack, and we were disappointed that we were told the courtyard room would be quiet when it is known that parties are regularly held next door.

Otherwise we enjoyed our stay. As others have noted, the location is in lovely Mayfair and is very convenient to the Tube, parks, shopping, museums and other sites. The hotel is on a nice small street with little car traffic. We were in a superior King room - we know hotel rooms in Europe are often smaller than those in the US/N. America, and thought the smaller/standard room would have been too small. The superior King was not large but fine for us. The air conditioning worked well in our room.

The reviews we have read rave about the service and staff. We thought the staff was very friendly and service oriented, but not extraordinary relative to other hotels we have stayed in other cities/countries. Perhaps our view is a bit colored by the noisy room issue - that we were given a room that faced onto an event space known to host parties after specifically requesting a quiet room and we had to affirmatively ask twice to be moved to another room. Nevertheless, we did find the staff generally friendly and responsive, just not exceptionally more than we have experienced at other hotels.

A few additional notes:
The coffee/tea service with french press, teapot and cookies in the room was a nice touch (the coffee was good and strong). After a long day out it was very nice to come back to the room and relax with a cup of tea and cookies. The bottled water was appreciated as well.

Turn down service - a nice touch that is sadly becoming less common. They leave different things on your pillow, a chocolate covered wafer cookie, bath salts, small facial mist.

Maid service - seemed to reach our room later in the day. Some days we went out for breakfast, would come back around 10:30 - 11 and the room was still not made up, even when we hung the sign for maid service on the door.

Hot water - if your room has separate knobs for hot and cold, the hot gets really hot quickly. There is a warning note in the hotel information book in the room, but I didn't see that before my first shower. Our bathroom was quite small.

We went out very early one morning (before 6 AM) and there were warm pastries and coffee offered in the lobby. We didn't see it any other morning so guessed it might be for guests leaving before breakfast was available in the dining room, but not sure.

After we returned home, we received a note that we would be receiving a subscription to Travel & Leisure magazine because we stayed at a Red Carnation hotel. A nice surprise.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard may be noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel and I hope that you had an enjoyable weekend.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you found our Mayfair setting convenient during your stay and that you were able to navigate London with ease from our central location. I am sorry to learn that on this occasion you were disturbed by noise from our neighbours; I have personally spoken to my Reception Manager to ensure further training is carried out so the difficulties that you experienced do not reoccur.

I am delighted that you appreciated the tea and coffee making facilities in your room, as well as the added touch of turn down every evening for all of our rooms. Breakfast is served in Butlers Restaurant midweek from seven am and for our early risers we have tea, coffee and pastries available in the lobby complimentary which I am glad you were able to take advantage of.

Whilst I am glad to know that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, I would once again like to apologise for the noise distruption you experienced during your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is the first time I and my family having a traditional British afternoon tea. The service is really great. All the waiters are young, polite and extremely friendly. Even though the hotel is heavily filled with history and tradition,you can tell that those young waiters are passionate about their job, and more importantly are proud of their dinning tradition.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your afternoon tea experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you chose The Chesterfield Mayfair for you first ever experience of afternoon tea and that you greatly enjoyed the British tradition. I am delighted that the staff were able to add to the occasion and that their passion and enthusiasm helped make it a memorable visit for you.

We look forward to you joining us again at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

My husband and I recently returned from a five night stay at this amazing hotel. The hotel is immaculate and the room was lovely. We were treated like royalty and any requests were taken care of in a matter of minutes. We want to thank the manager, Oliver Raggett and his entire staff for taking such good care of us!!! We will definitely return to the Chesterfield Mayfair upon our next trip to London.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to provide this fantastic feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair and that you felt well looked after during your stay. My Executive Housekeeper will be thrilled to hear that you found the rooms immaculate and that you appreciated the high standard of decor. It gives me great pleasure to know that our family run hotel has left such an impression on you and that you experienced the warmth of The Chesterfield family in our traditionally English boutique hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all of my team here.

I hope to welcome you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

After hours spent researching various hotels for our 5 night London stay, we decided that the Chesterfield Mayfair offered everything we wanted in a hotel - wonderful boutique size, superb location for accessing all that London has to offer (as outlined by the reviewers below), a quiet street without loud commercial activity infringing on a person's sleep, and the lovely ambience of Mayfair itself. We could not have made a better choice. The Chesterfield is lovely, as are the wonderful people who work there. From the doormen, to the reservation desk, to the concierge staff, to housekeeping, the wonderful people in the restaurant and everyone else, they were so friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful. After returning to the hotel in the afternoons or evenings, we were welcomed back as though part of the family. Truly a wondeful experience. There is a 100% chance we will return, hopefully very soon, and I will be recommending this excellent hotel to anyone I know of heading to London. Our stay could not have been more delightful.

Room Tip: Each and every room is individually decorated and all that we saw had their own personalities. Some...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing thorough feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to read that your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair has left such a lasting impression on you and that you speak so highly of your time with us. We love to create a warm and cosy atmosphere in our boutique hotel and I am thrilled that you felt part of our Chesterfield family during your stay with us.

Thank you for highlighting the hotel’s location; tucked away in a quiet corner in Mayfair, yet within walking distance to many of the main London sights. We take great pride in our service here at The Chesterfield and I am glad that our professional and friendly staff made you feel at home; I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all of my team here.

Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Loved this place. Great boutique hotel. Don't stay at a large chain hotel. The service is awesome. The staff is very very friendly, professional and willing to help. The location is wonderful and in walking distance to many great sights, including Buckingham Palace. Short walk to Green Park subway station (Underground) which is about 45 mins to/from Heathrow with all the stops, and short walks to Green Park and Hyde Park. Short cab or walking distance to good food, shopping and Central London attractions. Many of the tour buses stop a couple blocks away at the Green Park underground stop. Great English Buffet set up that you can enjoy in the garden room: fresh fruits, danishes, juices, eggs, breads, granola, cheese and meat, etc... Not a tea drinker but I'm sure they did that well. Rooms are very nice and clean (with tapestries on the wall for a nice touch) but small like most big cities. The concierge will get you tickets to most attractions to save time waiting in lines... Loved it..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt at home in our boutique hotel. Our Mayfair location is close to Green Park station, as well as many of the major London sights and I am glad that you took advantage of this central location.

My Executive Chef will be happy to hear that you appreciated the wide range of fresh and varied food available for breakfast, which surely set you up for your day exploring London. I am pleased to learn that you found your room to be immaculate and well appointed and that you appreciated the level of decor as well.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the friendly and helpful service that you experienced, especially our concierge team who were able to assist you with bookings.

Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was traveling alone when I stayed at The Chesterfield hotel, before and after a cruise. It could be a home away from home. The staff is superb, the dining room and bar area are excellent, as was the bedroom. Mayfair is wonderful, you can walk through Green Park to Buckingham Palace and it seems you're close to everything. Comfy luxury is what you'll find at the Chesterfield. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt at home in our boutique hotel. My Food and Beverage Manager will be happy to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy the cosy atmosphere of Butlers Restaurant and our Terrace Bar. We take great pride in our service here at the hotel and I am delighted that you found the staff to be so helpful and friendly.

Oliver Raggett

Been to The Chesterfield Mayfair? Share your experiences!