“Lovely Hotel in Mayfair” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chesterfield Mayfair

Save Saved
You added The Chesterfield Mayfair to your Saves list
The Chesterfield Mayfair
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Charles Street | Mayfair, London W1J 5EB, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #12 of 1,071 hotels in London
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lovely Hotel in Mayfair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed here in August with 3 teens. Booked directly with the hotel - called number as the online options with breakfast were confusing. Mr. Sparrow who answered was wonderful and considerate - he helped me to find the best value for two rooms, added breakfasts at no charge for my husband and I because our room rate did not come with breakfast. He simply said, "thought you would like to eat breakfast with your family". I gave him to wrong check out date and called him a day later (at 5 pm London time) and he cheerfully made the switch with no penalties. From the beginning the service was excellent.
The rooms were traditional, elegant and quiet even though they faced the street. Comfortable beds, good shower with rain head and hand held, nice toiletries, good a/c. Our room was small but not uncomfortable, the kids had a large suite with 2 showers and large closet. Breakfast was good and filling with more options than the website shows. We had the Chocolate tea and everything was delicious, especially the house tea blend. Staff was very friendly and helpful. They offered to pack things up for us to take up to the room.
Hotel is on a quiet residential street but close walking distance to shops, sites, tube. There is a gastro pub a block from the hotel but be warned it closes early on weekdays and Sundays. Also a couple restaurants nearby but we didn't eat at those. The hotel bar is cozy and a nice place to relax when you have to leave the pub. Bartender is friendly and helpful - overheard him talking to other guests and he readily accommodated their exacting requests.
We would definitely stay here again. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you booked directly with the hotel and that you were so well looked after by Mr Sparrow from our reservations team before you even arrived to the hotel. Booking directly with the hotel gives us a great opportunity to speak to our guest and makes sure that we can arrange for the best room for our guests’ requirements.

The decor of the hotel is traditional British and I am glad that you appreciated our cosy rooms and that the luxurious bed allowed for a great night’s sleep. Afternoon tea is indeed something everyone must experience and I am glad that our attentive staff offered to wrap up your remaining pastries for you to enjoy later on. I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy a drink in our bar and that our welcoming staff made you feel at home in the cosy surroundings of the Terrace Bar.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

1,622 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Greek first
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I recently returned from a first visit to London. I stayed in two different hotels, one in South Kensington and the other in Mayfair. Both areas of town were fantastic pics in terms of being near the tube, restaurants, the sites and more. We stayed our last two nights at the Chesterfield Mayfair. We chose it based on the TA reviews. We arrived about four-ish on a Wednesday afternoon. This hotel is old school London, which is what I was expecting. The front desk staff were quite pleasant in greeting us. We noticed the busy bar adjacent to the check in area, so we decided to have a drink before heading up to our room. The place was pretty busy, but we found a nice seat and the waiter was quick and friendly. The bar is done in the same theme as the rest of the hotel. We found it comfy and inviting. Our room was small, but I expected this in London. The linens on the bed and the drapes were very impressive. I liked the soaps and lotion in the very clean bathroom. This hotel is walking distance to many restaurants and bars. I believed we even walked through Hyde Park to get to one restaurant. It felt pretty safe as there were plenty of joggers and walkers. We did not feel unsafe walking back to the hotel after dinner (have I mentioned what a great walking city London is??) The only glitch was when we awoke on our final morning only to have no hot water. We soon realized part of the power was out in about half of the hotel. They explained that something happened down the street (I did believe it was out of their control). We had to get to the airport, so we were in a slight rush. They went out of their way offering to help us down the stairs with our bags (elevator was out too). Several staff members were waiting by the elevators to assist. You could tell they were embarrassed even though it wasn't their fault. For the inconvenience, the manager told me he would reduce our final bill by a certain percentage. Actually, a few days later when I checked my Visa bill, he took off a bit more than even what he had said he would. Pretty impressive. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel when again in London.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this fantastic review.

It gives me great pleasure to know that all of the wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor inspired you to book The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel and that you too had a terrific stay with us. I am thrilled that the staff both at reception and in the bar were so welcoming and friendly and that you enjoyed a drink in our comfortable and relaxing terrace bar.

The great city of London has clearly made a lasting impression on you and I am pleased that The Chesterfield Mayfair’s fantastic location allowed you to explore the city with ease. If your sturdy boots are ready many of London’s amazing restaurants, museums, attractions and shopping areas are within walking distance of the hotel, and I am glad that you enjoyed exploring the city. Once again I would like to thank you for your understanding during the short power cut that affected several buildings during your stay and I am pleased that my team were able to offer every assistance in these challenging circumstances.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Orleans, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was our second visit to the Chesterfield Mayfair, and at this price point I would not stay anywhere else in London. The rooms could be a bit larger but are cozy, nicely decorated, and immaculately clean. The location is perfect: in a quiet corner of posh Mayfair, yet only a few blocks from the tube, with a wide variety of dining choices and even a first-run movie theater within easy walking distance. If you arrive rumpled, there is a good dry cleaner two blocks away. The hotel service is spectacular at every level: One night we returned hungry from the theater at around 11:30 pm; the restaurant was closed, but the friendly bartender produced excellent sandwiches and drinks for us. Fresh orange juice and crisp baguettes at breakfast, more consistent wifi, and extra towels and toiletries would be nice additions -- but really this is a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room; we forgot to do this!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am firstly delighted to see that you have chosen to return to The Chesterfield Mayfair and it gives me great pleasure to know that we are your preferred hotel in London. My Executive Housekeeper will be happy to hear that you appreciated the room quality and indeed that you found the room to be immaculate. I am thrilled that the brilliant service at The Chesterfield Mayfair has left such a lasting impression with you and I am glad to hear that the barman made you feel at home in our cosy Terrace Bar. Regardless of the hour our bar staff are eager to welcome guests to the bar and I will be sure to thank all the team on your behalf for making sure that you received the best attentions during your stay.

We greatly anticipate your next visit to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We recently stayed here for two nights as part of my wife's 40th birthday celebrations and absolutely loved it.

We had a superior king room on the third floor which, whilst not particularly spacious, was very well appointed with an extremely comfortable king size bed. The room was also very quiet with little or no road noise or noise from other rooms. It really felt that once you closed the door you were the only ones there.

My only minor grumble (and it really is minor) was that the shower screen was too small and I soaked the bathroom every time I had a shower.

The staff were excellent without exception - a really warm welcome and whoever we spoke to would do anything to ensure our stay was perfect.

I absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for something a little bit different from the regular chains. The location is great and it wasn't even that bad price wise.

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you chose to celebrate such a momentous occasion with us at The Chesterfield Mayfair and I am thrilled that we were able to make it so special for you. My Executive Housekeeper will be pleased to hear that you appreciated the room quality and indeed that you had a great nights sleep in our comfortable and sumptuous beds.

Thank you for passing on the information about the shower screen, I have asked my Chief Engineer to investigate and see what changes can be made to rectify this situation. I am thrilled that you found our staff to be friendly and attentive, I will be sure to share your review and pass on your thanks to all the team here.

Thank you for recommending our unique and individual hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Our recent stay at The Chesterfield definitely met & indeed surpassed our expectations, to the extent that we are unable to single out any individual staff member as each one of them whose paths we crossed was singularly courteous & provided valuable assistance. Outstanding perhaps the front desk staff who offered us an available junior suite, which we found ultimately comfortable, light & cheery. Location of the hotel could not be more elegant, although the hotel is very reasonably priced.
We had a thoroughly excellent time re-exploring old haunts!
Hoping to visit again, we would definitely choose choose The Chesterfield Mayfair as our base.

Room Tip: A junior suite is a fine choice for added space.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that your stay with us has exceeded your expectations and that you found our service to be of high standards. We take great care in selecting our individually decorated rooms for each guest and I am thrilled that you appreciated the comfortable and bright room chosen for you by our reception team and I am sure other TripAdvisor users will appreciate your tip on selecting our more spacious and luxurious suites. We take great pride in our service and attention to detail and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to everybody here.

I am delighted that The Chesterfield Mayfair has earned the title of your preferred hotel in London and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Loved this hotel which feels intimate and cosy but yet had a bit of liveliness about it too. Locals obviously enjoy the Afternoon Teas and the evening piano.
Attention to detail was second to none - imagine finding a tray of office supplies in your room - the stapler even worked!
There are not many hotels you would linger for a night cap after dinner but this was one. Bar lunch on arrival ticked all the boxes as well.
Decor and furnishing very traditionally English - just what you would want as a tourist to London.
Overall I think you can tell this hotel is part of a family run group.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to provide this fantastic feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the friendly and welcoming atmosphere that we enjoy creating at our hotel. I am delighted that you appreciated all the small touches such as the stationery supplies in your room, we pride ourselves on our attention to detail here at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel and I am thrilled that you loved this touch.

I am glad that you had time to enjoy a drink and a meal in our atmospheric and cosy Terrace Bar, with our resident pianist playing in the evenings it really does create a relaxing environment. It gives me great pleasure to know that our family run hotel has left such an impression on you and that you experienced the warmth of The Chesterfield family in our traditionally English boutique hotel.

I hope to welcome you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband, our 10 month old baby girl Isabella and my self had the pleasure to stay in this beautiful hotel. The staff were wonderful, they had gone out of their way to make us feel happy and relaxed. They provided everything we could possibly need for our little one and made our stayed exceptional from the anniversary card signed by all the staff through the receptive breakfast team; it was a step above and beyond. We would make the dormer suite a home away from home in London when ever we pass through.
Graham, Veronica and Isabella

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had a terrific stay at our boutique hotel and that you appreciated the warm and professional service delivered by my team. It was our pleasure having your family stay with us and we loved spoiling baby Isabella and making sure that she was settled and happy. I am thrilled to hear that the anniversary card we signed added to your special occasion and that you had a memorable anniversary with us. It is wonderful to hear that you consider The Chesterfield Mayfair to be your London home away from home and that we have welcomed you into The Chesterfield family.

I look forward to welcoming your family again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Oliver Raggett

Been to The Chesterfield Mayfair? Share your experiences!