“Consistently Excels!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chesterfield Mayfair

Save Saved
You added The Chesterfield Mayfair to your Saves list
The Chesterfield Mayfair
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Charles Street | Mayfair, London W1J 5EB, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #11 of 1,075 hotels in London
Notingham
“Consistently Excels!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had a fantastic stay at the Chesterfield last year but I decided to check-out alternative hotels and offers before booking what seems to have become an annual “Mayfair Ladies” event. “Us” four ladies are of a certain mature age which we completely refuse to disclose and are all current, or ex-businesswomen – including two restaurateurs. Our expectations are high but not unrealistic. The Chesterfield offers were too good to resist, so, we booked their Mayfair weekend package. This included afternoon tea for two, a bottle of premium champagne per room and a 6pm checkout. Often a return visit to a hotel doesn’t match expectations and there are certainly areas in the hotel that would benefit from a little decorative “touch-up”. However, I am delighted to say that the standard of guest service cannot be faulted. We had a very embarrassing mix-up with room allocations on the first night for our two guests from Mallorca. Lorna, the very lovely Irish Duty Manager sorted everything out to our complete satisfaction - not an easy task! She completely won us over and we have already given her our “Mayfair Ladies” booking for next year. Also, there are huge improvements in the bar area. Paul, the bar manager just excels at what he does. We were very, very impressed by the standard of service and attention he gave us and everyone else and look forward to meeting with him again next year. In summary, the Chesterfield appeal to a wide range of clientele - there was a wedding, a baby shower, a hen party and us…! Certainly, us ladies feel it is a very safe and comfortable place for independent female travellers – irrespective of age. Without doubt, there are “posher” hotels in the area but no matter what you pay you will really be hard pressed to find one that offers the amazing guest service and individual attention that you will find at the Chesterfield.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your brilliant review from your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to read that your stay was a wonderful experience and I am pleased that our high level of service created such a favourable impression. We take great pride in providing our visitors with exceptional service and understand that every detail is important to ensure all our guests have a brilliant stay.

It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members, especially Paul and Laura.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel again for your next stay with us.

1,710 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Chesterfield is tucked away in a quiet Mayfair street, but still within easy reach of the West End.
It offers a excellent friendly service with a touch of luxury. It has everything you could want for a business or leisure break in London. We will certainly be back.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review from your stay with us.

We take great pride in our great team and friendly service. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband has stayed at the Chesterfield on several occasions mainly for business reasons and I was delighted to join him on one of these. The rooms are comfortable, beautifully appointed but the reason we shall return time and time again is that the attention to detail is unsurpassed. The food and especially the wine (Galpin Peak Pinot Noir - do try it) is superb. Location is excellent and the service we have had from all the staff has been exceptional, in particular one gentleman at the Front Desk (Chris Campbell) went out of his way to ensure that our stay was enjoyable. I have no hesitation in recommending the Chesterfield.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback from your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted you were able to join your husband and experience our hospitality for yourself. We pride ourselves on our great team and attention to detail. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members, especially Chris Campbell.

New Milton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Went to Butlers restaurant for lunch had an fantastic meal, Scollop the biggest i've ever seen, juicy crab cakes really tastey very good pairing of wines out standing service. a very well kept secret in the middle o Mayfair

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review from your visit with us for lunch.

We pride ourselves on our great team and friendly service. Our Executive Chef will be delighted to hear your kind remarks on the quality of the selection at Butlers restaurant. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members.

ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Chesterfield for 5 nights in August 2012 and our stay was spectacular! It was my sister's first time to Europe, so I wanted our stay in London to be special. I spent many hours looking for a perfect hotel, on TA and in guidebooks. And we found it!
I've been to London a few times before and really enjoyed my stays at some lovely hotels: the Dorchester in 2008, the JW Marriott Grosvenor House this past spring 2012. But the Chesterfield Mayfair has them all beat! The hotel has a great location: in elegant Mayfair on a charming and quiet block. The hotel is fairly close to the Green Park tube station and a few bus stops. (a bit far if you are elderly or disabled though) A few minutes walk away takes you to Hyde Park or Green Park for a lovely walk. Shepherd's Market (lots of restaurants) is two blocks away.
We arrived at 10 AM after an overnight flight from the US and our room wasn't ready. Checkin and the welcome was lovely. They stored our luggage and gave us some brochures and a map. Service during our stay was very friendly. When we arrived back later in the day our room was ready and the luggage was already dropped off. We had a Mayfair Weekend Package and received complimentary champagne upon arrival, breakfast during our stay, and an afternoon tea for the two of us.
We decided to have our tea on our day of arrival. It was great! Four years ago I had tea with my family at the Dorchester and found it to be lovely surroundings, but too snobby. This was just right. Service was wonderful. We both opted for hot cocoa since we don't drink tea (embarrassing!) and received a 3-tier tray with 4/5 choices of sandwiches, scones and clotted cream/preserves and 6 pastries. We were offered seconds and told we could take the rest home if we wanted. The setting was beautiful too.
The breakfast was also great. There was a lovely continental breakfast spread - pastries, breads, rolls, fruit, yogurts, etc. And then you were offered a choice of a freshly-made-to-order hot item. My omelettes were delicious!
Our room was lovely. We requested two twin beds and received our request. It was a little small, compared to hotels in the US, but we were aware of that ahead of time. Room was clean, beautifully decorated, and quiet. The room had plenty of dresser/drawer space and two closets. There was a turn-down service at night, and a little treat was given each day - a candy, cookie, biscuit, etc. The bathroom was black and white carrera marble, hotel gave lovely toiletries too. Bathtub was a little difficult to get out of though. The lobby, restaurant, library and bar were all beautifully decorated. But the service was the best. They were all friendly and personable, not snotty like at some of the other hotels.
I've now stayed at some great places in London - the ones I listed above plus The Lime Tree Inn (Belgravia) and The Hilton Paddington and enjoyed all of them. However, my favorite is definitely The Chesterfield Mayfair. This is the one I would return to on my next trip! Bravo to the staff! I hope to be back again soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a brilliant review from your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled that your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel was charming and friendly, and you found everything you needed for your time in London. What a wonderful start to your holiday to have Afternoon Tea and I am pleased that you enjoyed our Chocolate Lovers Tea as a delicious alternative to the traditional.

Our Food and Beverage Manager will be delighted to hear your kind notes on the service and quality you found when dining here. Our Housekeeping Manager will also appreciate the lovely remarks you make on the details in your room. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members.

Thank you for your great description of our surrounding areas and highlighting what a brilliant location we have, I am sure your fellow travellers will appreciate your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the near future.

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Great value, location, and staff. Just stayed at the Chesterfield for the third time. It is now my only hotel in London. The rooms are quiet and spacious for London, with a feeling of luxury. The pub and restaurant super. Breakfast is worth getting up for.The staff is very welcoming and very helpful. The location is excellent as the tube, the bus and the sights are an easy walk. Shepherds market,with a great choice of restaurants and a pub is just a block away.I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read that your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel was relaxing and luxurious and you find everything you need for your time in London. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members, especially the Food and Beverage Manager and our Executive Chef.

Thank you for your great description of our surrounding areas and highlighting what a great location we have, I am sure your fellow travellers will appreciate your feedback.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The hotel was disappointing to say the least. The one great benefit of it is that it is located close to Green Park and is in the City Centre.
Upon arriving at the hotel, I noticed a very strange smell of chemicals in the room which could not be lessened by opening the window. I reported it twice to the reception and even though the hotel manager did come down and promise to fix it, it was never done. Upon asking the maid if it was due to chemicals we got the cheerful reply that it was none of her business before she walked out the door.
Breakfast was absolutely repulsive, although afternoon tea was quite nice.
In general, I was very disappointed with the hotel and the unhelpful staff; I will never advise it to anyone and would rather get beaten by a stick than go there again - a true waste of money.

Room Tip: If they EVER offer you room 303 you run for it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting a review and sharing your experience following your recent stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

We pride ourselves on our great location and our passionate and dedicated team; as you can see from our previous Tripadvisor reviews, our visitors are delighted with the wonderful atmosphere and appreciate our attention to detail as well as the service we provide.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your visit and that we did not meet your expectations at this time. Please rest assured that this is not a common occurrence and I have personally addressed these issues and your comments with the relevant managers who will in turn provide further training to ensure no similar reoccurrence in the future.

Once again I would like to thank you for such valuable feedback that helps us to monitor and improve our standards.

Oliver

Been to The Chesterfield Mayfair? Share your experiences!